Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-15, 05:30 PM  
laurajhawk

Oh, I'm sorry.
I've been doing Jessica's 21-Day walking program and it might be good. Programs can be good 'cause you don't have to make a decision. To me, Jessica is a nice positive personality but not so perky or sweet that I want to smack her. And the workouts are not real intense, but have enough intensity and variety that they may keep your mind off of things.

Come to think of it, Eoin's Blissology has similar virtues, if you're more inclined to yoga. Or you could alternate the two.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 05:47 PM  
andtckrtoo

Oh, more hugs your way. That sucks. Maybe some Cardio Coaches would be good. Taking a long walk with Coach Sean helps me put things into perspective. I also find just walking with my favorite music outside - preferably in the woods. Nature is my nurture. I'm also a huge kickboxing fan, but that's after I start feeling anger instead of pain.
Old 05-24-15, 05:50 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Oh, I'm so sorry!

Do exercise as you can, though. It helps a lot with grief. I agree on walking in nature, taking deep breaths. Then when you're over the initial hurt and on to feeling angry, a little kickboxing, maybe?

I'm sorry you're going through this...
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 06:11 PM  
MathTeacher

Hi Yaya. I'm sorry to hear that.

I agree with kickboxing. I like Chris Freytag's Shortcut to Weight Loss. It has a fun kickboxing segment.
Old 05-24-15, 06:15 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

My post is going to be a little different.

One thing that struck me in your post was that you knew that you won't be eating or sleeping well as a result of the break up. I would say that knowing this is knowledge and power. As challenging as it may be, you can make the choice if this break up will be more of the same (thus leaving you depleted) or if you can make more choices that empower you and leave you with energy and vitality. Even if that choice is to eat an apple even though you're not hungry or to go to bed even though you're fearful of what the dark and solitude bring with it. In other words, you can't change that someone you cared about left the relationship. You can control your actions and how your feelings may affect your immediate quality of life.

Exercise is a great tool to help manage your emotions. Rather than suggesting a specific workout I would suggest that you ask yourself what you need right at that moment. Do you need to vent off very strong feelings? Go for some heavy weights or a hard cardio workout. Do you need to feel nurtured? Yoga and Pilates may help. Do you need to just clear your head from its current thoughts. Dance cardio or step can distract you.

I would also suggest journaling and expressive art activities (and yes, crayons are expressive art tools).

I am a licensed marriage & family therapist. If the break up is particularly hard you may want to consider getting the help of a therapist for a little bit just to help with the sudden surge of emotions.

Break ups are difficult. I'm sorry you're having to go through this. Good luck!

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 06:33 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

So sorry for what you're going through. My recommendation is Yoga Booty Ballet. It's lighthearted and fun. I think more than a few VFers have used it to lift their mood.
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=189456
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 06:47 PM  
Demeris

I want to say how sorry I am you're going through this. I hope you have good family or friend support.

Well, my go to when I'm in a bad place is Miranda Esmonde White. I can do her stuff even when I've had no sleep.

I want to add my vote to Sabine's: suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post

I would also suggest journaling and expressive art activities (and yes, crayons are expressive art tools).

As for journaling, I would encourage you to keep a journal, but I would also encourage you to use some structure to contain your thoughts and to help you process your emotions. Here's a place to start:

http://journaltherapy.com/journal-cafe-3/journal-course

And this is related:

http://journaltherapy.com/wp-content...al-Writing.pdf

While I'm enrolled in their certification program, I get nothing from referring others to these resources except the knowledge that these are valuable resources for anyone using writing to process grief or trauma or even just sorrow.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 07:08 PM  
bubbles76

I recommend Patricia Moreno's Intensati for positive affirmations with lighter aerobic work. I also like Eoin Finn for "good vibes" if you enjoy yoga.

Also agree with Sabine.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 07:33 PM  
Michefit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
My post is going to be a little different.

One thing that struck me in your post was that you knew that you won't be eating or sleeping well as a result of the break up. I would say that knowing this is knowledge and power. As challenging as it may be, you can make the choice if this break up will be more of the same (thus leaving you depleted) or if you can make more choices that empower you and leave you with energy and vitality. Even if that choice is to eat an apple even though you're not hungry or to go to bed even though you're fearful of what the dark and solitude bring with it. In other words, you can't change that someone you cared about left the relationship. You can control your actions and how your feelings may affect your immediate quality of life.

Exercise is a great tool to help manage your emotions. Rather than suggesting a specific workout I would suggest that you ask yourself what you need right at that moment. Do you need to vent off very strong feelings? Go for some heavy weights or a hard cardio workout. Do you need to feel nurtured? Yoga and Pilates may help. Do you need to just clear your head from its current thoughts. Dance cardio or step can distract you.

I am a licensed marriage & family therapist. If the break up is particularly hard you may want to consider getting the help of a therapist for a little bit just to help with the sudden surge of emotions.

Break ups are difficult. I'm sorry you're having to go through this. Good luck!
Great post! My hairdresser went through a very traumatic break-up with a boyfriend (she was completely blind-sided) and she went for therapy - and it really helped her. Sometimes we don't think of this unless it's a "marriage" break-up - but any break-up can take a long time to get over - without some help. My thoughts are with you - AND you should feel proud of yourself that you are being proactive in taking care of yourself and thinking about exercise, sleep and diet strategies.
Well done - you WILL get through this.
Michefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 08:07 PM  
curious621

I second Intensati and Prevention's Shortcuts to Weight Loss kickboxing (sometimes I do that segment 3 times in a row). I also recommend Christi Taylor's Mission Possible, especially the step portion. Just makes me happy. Sorry for what you're going through and hope your pain lessens.
curious621 is offline   Reply With Quote