Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-15, 06:57 PM  
Messe

I've been on a roll lately - I've liked four books in a row! Loved Long Man by Amy Greene, enjoyed Provence, 1970 by Luke Barr immensely (this one is for my book group), and laughed and nodded all the way through an advance copy of Elizabeth Gilbert's Big Magic (due out in September). The fourth is Euphoria by Lily King, which I'm currently reading and enjoying.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-15, 08:26 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I have been in a graphic novel mood lately. I finished Relish (don't remember the author) but it is a foodie graphic novel. I liked it. Started Saga which is sci fi series and super popular with the young adults on youtube. So, far, interesting, weird and with great art. Then Persepolis by Setrapi about growing up in Iran and the speed it changed after the takeover. This is very good but also very heavy, so I read it a little bit at a time. The art work is very stylized and interesting (and good art) but while it helps explain the story, it isn't really integral to the story.

If you think graphic novels aren't books or are substandard, I suggest Maus (Speigleman (sp?). A simply amazing book where the artwork really tells part of the story. It's about the holocaust, so not light reading, but a really fascinating book. I did not care for his book on 9/11.

Almost done with Cinder by Mayer, young adult sci fi book series loosely based on fairy tales. The book is very interesting, well thought out, the world building is good, the fairy tale well used. It is definitely a young adult book in its language though. Not sure I can put my finger on it (for instance I don't think the book Giver seems simply written and that is a children's book). My only complaint about this book- enough with every book being part of a series. I'm having a hard time figuring out how this is going to be a complete book. This is a trend I dislike tremendously. Every book should be complete, not just end in the middle waiting for the next installment.

Also in the middle of the Virgin Suicides by Eugenides. Interesting and not too depressing considering the subject matter. This is a paper book, if it were on my kindle I'd be done with it by now.

Death in Holy Orders, PD James, an English mystery. So far, pretty darn interesting.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-15, 09:34 PM  
alisoncooks

LynnO - I'm not a fan of books written as serials, but I did enjoy the Lunar Chronicles books. . I've read them all (even the novella, Fairest).
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 09:44 PM  
BunnyHop

I'm most of the way through Uprooted, by Naomi Novik, and thought I'd mention that it's really pretty dark, and parts of it are horrifyingly gruesome.

Just thought I'd mention it, in case someone takes a look at the sample of the first chapter online and doesn't realize what's coming.

ETA: And I finished it. Very satisfying ending, I thought.

I'd be curious to see what else might happen in this world, but not if there's more war/bloodshed. Novik's Temeraire series is full of military action and war, and honestly, it's not my favorite part of the stories, no matter how well she writes it.
Old 05-25-15, 02:45 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Finished Cinder I liked it and will read the others but I want to give it a zero on goodreads because it isn't a whole book. Grrr. It ended much more abruptly than I even expected, just getting ready for the story to start, the whole book was the set up. However, it is a great sci fi book set up.

I forgot to mention 2 other recent read/listens. Yes, Please by Amy Poehler. I expected to love this book and didn't. I did really like the last 2 essays (it is a book of essays, not a memoir) and that redeemed it for me. But I found most of it boring and it felt insincere.

Map of Betrayal by Ha Jin, more of a history lesson than a novel. But I liked the history it told me - some recent history of China and China/US relations. I would recommend this, but only to people who don't need a good story in their books. Some people would rather just pick up a straight history book or memoir (or read something completely different. )
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 03:40 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
I have been in a graphic novel mood lately. I finished Relish (don't remember the author) but it is a foodie graphic novel. I liked it. Started Saga which is sci fi series and super popular with the young adults on youtube. So, far, interesting, weird and with great art. Then Persepolis by Setrapi about growing up in Iran and the speed it changed after the takeover. This is very good but also very heavy, so I read it a little bit at a time. The art work is very stylized and interesting (and good art) but while it helps explain the story, it isn't really integral to the story.

If you think graphic novels aren't books or are substandard, I suggest Maus (Speigleman (sp?). A simply amazing book where the artwork really tells part of the story. It's about the holocaust, so not light reading, but a really fascinating book. I did not care for his book on 9/11.
Oh this reminds me I forgot to mention in my previous post that I read a few graphic novels recently. "Marbles" about the author's experience with bipolar disorder- I do not remember the author's name but she illustrated the Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian. It was OK - I have read better graphic memoirs. I also read "Zahra's Paradise" about the disappearance of a young man during the 2009 protests in Iran after the disputed elections. There was an interesting section at the back with background of the history of Iran. So Lynn is correct graphic novels/memoirs etc are not fluff and are not to be dismissed as "comic books." DD (15 yo) really loves graphic novels.
Both Maus I and 2 were incredible and I think they are about more than just the Holocaust. Very moving and realistic depictions of the dynamics of relationships between parents and adult children. I also enjoyed Persopolis but have not read the sequel.
And of course I mentioned upthread that I finished Roz Chast's "Can't we Talk about something more pleasant?"
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 06:01 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Another winner: I just finished Louise Penny's A Trick of the Light (#7 in the Inspector Gamache series, I think). This series has been uneven for me but this one was just amazing!
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 06:09 PM  
JezthePuff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
Another winner: I just finished Louise Penny's A Trick of the Light (#7 in the Inspector Gamache series, I think). This series has been uneven for me but this one was just amazing!
I just started #8 - A Beautiful Mystery. I have the hardcover and the audiobook. I love reading this way because I like switching back and forth. I'm about to do some baking for my book club tomorrow, and there's nothing like listening to a good book while I bake.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 06:14 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Jez- I look forward to your thoughts on A Beautiful Mystery. I will only read it in the fall because I like to read her books in the same season they take place (weird, I know, but she describes the seasons so perfectly that it adds to the pleasure for me). Hers are definitely good books to read/listen to while baking: Her descriptions of the meals at Olivier and Gabri's bistro always make me hungry!
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 06:39 PM  
Messe

Oh, I just love Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series! I'm eagerly awaiting the softcover release of The Long Way Home at the end of July. And no. 11 in the series, The Nature of the Beast, will be out in late August.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, reading, spring 2015