Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-15, 08:34 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I'm so sorry you are going through this. *hugs*

I want to also recommend everything Sabine said in her post. Lot of wisdom there, both regarding workouts and other healing actions.

If it was me, I would do steady-state cardio (elliptical machine or walking outside) while listening to upbeat dance music. I would try to do it for a minimum of 20 minutes a day, and maybe that would be my target to keep it simple. But personally, I find walking and steady state cardio to be healing as well as healthy.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 08:53 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Yaya, I am sorry that you are going through a difficult time. When I went through boyfriend breakups, my reaction was to become determined to look and feel my best afterwards. So, I would go to the gym and play tennis, and take dance classes. Chalene Johnson has a great line, "The best revenge is looking great." I'll add "feeling great," to that. So, my suggestion is to do something that makes you feel great, and that you truly enjoy. Exercising outdoors, even just taking a walk, is great to clear the mind and empower oneself.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 09:16 PM  
KBear

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I really feel for you. When my ex-husband left me, I needed something that makes me smile or laugh. For me those included:
Greg Smithy, Original Buns of Steel. (I always skip standing section.. It is good when you want to be on the floor)
Anni Mars, Life Force (Eli cracks me up).
Charlene Prickett
Ruthless!!
Les Mils Combat.

Other things that helped:
Friends
Therapy
Hiking
Meetup groups www.meetup.com/
Podcasts /youtube for guided mediation - when I can’t sleep, I listen to these. http://www.themeditationpodcast.com/
Self-Help books: Probably the most influential one for me was Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz.

Hugs.
KBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 09:30 PM  
Sara1000

Well you asked about exercise but I agree therapy could really help - that has been my experience.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 09:40 PM  
Cybersparkle

Sorry sweetie, hope you feel better soon!
Lot's of good advice - seek help if it all gets too much.

I recommend kundalini yoga - especially the dvd Fat Free Yoga by Raviana. It allows me to connect with the grand scheme of the universe and tap into a source greater to lean on. Ravi's voice reminds me of a nurturing father & really soothes. It also addresses emotional issues with specific meditations.

Big, warm hug

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 11:58 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

More hugs to you. You've already got great suggestions here. Just wanted to send positive vibes your way, and don't forget that you're stronger than you think you're.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 12:22 AM  
patchworkpenguin

Just wanted to add more {{{Hugs!}}

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 06:51 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I would suggest any workout that makes you smile or brings you comfort. That is probably not very helpful but there have been a lot of great suggestions. I guess for me it would be a Firm or maybe a Leslie, she is very positive. Or Margaret Richard, who I find very calming.

I am sorry that you are dealing with this though, it is not easy and I have been there many times. Be good to yourself, and time will help with healing.

Hang in there....
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 07:14 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

The best revenge is to live your life to the fullest... so do what makes you feel good!
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 08:09 AM  
TinierTina

Any Middle Path Style of Yoga

... do any style of yoga if done with a middle path philosophy ...Do not seek your "edge" ...

You could do a fairly vigorous style even, along with the Buddhist tenet of staying sometimes even soundly if you have to, within your "comfort zone" ...

Be exceedingly kind to yourself.

Hell, I infused all with middle path even when I was not recovering from a breakup (I am an older lady; and even then, a few years ago-hadn't been in the game), when I'd done home yoga practice; and wiped the floor with any live studio that would not accept this ... and summarily took me and my philosophy elsewhere ...

I recommend Cyndi Lee or even David Magone (if you are strong enough for those style) ... even some classical styles give about a passing nod to maitri and metta ..

So, but if that's too complicated-sounding ... then try 5 Rhythms, or Groove dance. No authoritarian marching orders from anyone, there ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote