Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-18, 12:46 AM  
BunnyHop

I finally caved and bought the new-ish Naomi Novik, Spinning Silver. I'm not really into it yet, but the price was right and I didn't think it would get much lower (it hasn't so far, but I guess I should stop looking, LOL!)

Also got the new Rose Levy Beranbaum, Baking Basics. I'm not sure I need it, but I've bought all her others so far. I do like the format quite a lot. Plenty of pictures demonstrating technique, good instruction. I've found her to be a very reliable source. This seems like a really good place for someone to start if they're unfamiliar with her work, or with baking in general.
Old 10-02-18, 05:57 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezthePuff2 View Post
Looking forward to the new ones from Jodi Picoult, Diane Chamberlain, Lianne Moriarty, and Kate Morton!

Currently reading The Last Mrs. Parrish and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. Both are really good!
I put Lianne Moriarty and Diane Chamberlain on reserve at my library.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-18, 05:56 PM  
suzannaerin

I got Kate Atkinson's newest release ("Transcription"--?? I think that's the title), so I decided to finally read "A God in Ruins" (her book before Transcription). It's excellent, as I expected it would be. The kind of book you don't want to end.

She is one of my favorite authors. "Life After Life" got me hooked---it's a book that I plan to read again. I'll probably save "Transcription" for a special time, maybe when I'm taking leave or something.

I have the new Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) in my pile, too. :-) Another one I'm saving and plan to savor!!
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-18, 06:14 PM  
alisoncooks

I just finished The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson. Really good book!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-18, 06:29 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I just finished The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson. Really good book!
I asked my library to.order it. I am glad you liked it.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 10:11 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
I got Kate Atkinson's newest release ("Transcription"--?? I think that's the title), so I decided to finally read "A God in Ruins" (her book before Transcription). It's excellent, as I expected it would be. The kind of book you don't want to end.

She is one of my favorite authors. "Life After Life" got me hooked---it's a book that I plan to read again. I'll probably save "Transcription" for a special time, maybe when I'm taking leave or something.

I have the new Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) in my pile, too. :-) Another one I'm saving and plan to savor!!
Suzannaerin, Life after Life was on my to read list for awhile then I got distracted by other books. I am in two book groups and am having a hard enough time keeping up with that reading. I will need to select the book in a few months for one of my groups so maybe I will suggest that one. Do you think it is a good discussion book?
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 10:22 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I recently finished A Gentleman in Moscow and really enjoyed it. I have just started LaRose by Louise Ehrdich for my other book group. I like some of her books but not others. I have my fingers crossed for this one. I need to read it by next week but I am home sick with a cold so will try to get in a lot of reading over the next few days.

My other group is discussing The Last Runaway in a few weeks and the November book is Pachinko which I have been wanting to read for months now. The same month my other group will be reading “Sing Unburied Sing” by Jesmyn Ward. I loved her book “Salvage the Bones”
I honestly don’t know how I am going to have time to read all these books in that time. I need to stop reading the news for one thing. I’m a politics junkie so I let myself get sucked into it. Must stop.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 10:59 AM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Suzannaerin, Life after Life was on my to read list for awhile then I got distracted by other books. I am in two book groups and am having a hard enough time keeping up with that reading. I will need to select the book in a few months for one of my groups so maybe I will suggest that one. Do you think it is a good discussion book?
Absolutely. I hope you love it as much as I did.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-18, 08:08 PM  
alisoncooks

I've been chauffeuring my kids to all sorts of clubs and practices recently, so I've been reading a bunch of fluff while I wait. Mostly Julie Klassen (clean/lite-romance, historical) ebooks from the library. So far, I've plowed through:
The Maid of Fairborne Hall
The Lady of Milkweed Manor
The Apothecary's Daughter
The Girl in the Gatehouse

and I've downloaded 2 more to get me through another week of sitting in the car during their practices.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-18, 05:29 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I finished Laura Levine's This Pen for Hire this week, it was as good as advertised! I now have Last Writes and Killer Blonde to work on which are next in the series. I am way behind in terms of all the books out there but the good thing is I can usually get at the library right away and not have to wait for them. I have seen the number of people who have new releases on hold. Must be a long wait to get it, or maybe not.

I am also reading Laura Bradford's Amish Mystery series. I have been really enjoying it, I have finished the first 4 releases and am hoping to finish A Churn for the Worse today, then I just have to wait for the new release around Thanksgiving time.

I also read Cate Conte Cat Cafe series, Cat About Town and Purrder She Wrote. I really liked those as well.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading