Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-14, 10:14 PM  
Maybelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
Maybelle,

I think Vytas talks a lot. Talking doesn't bother me since what he says is about form pointers. He's very good about getting you to get the most out of the pose. He uses very little "yoga speak".

What I noticed was how little he talks in the gentle balanced flow practice. Most of that class is stretches and as the practice progresses, he holds the poses longer. It became evident during this class how much silent time there was. If you know Travis or Eion, they speaks a lot too, but what they say has to do with mind body connection. Vytas is more straightforward, no nonsense. I hope that helps.

Kim
Kim - that helps a lot. I appreciate it!
Maybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 11:19 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

His instructions are the best, so right spot on. But this is a difficult practice, I have a lot to grow. I did the hip opener today.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 12:01 PM  
laurajhawk

I did the hip practice today and LOVED it! I didn't know whether I'd like these much or not (but couldn't resist one of the discount codes during the preorder). This one is right at my level - I can't do everything, but I can TRY everything, and there's lots of room for growth. He holds poses for a long time in this one (I can't always hold them as long). I agree that his instruction is phenomenal and the sequencing is great for getting you deeper into the hips.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 12:55 PM  
AnMrsDe

I may be interested in purchasing this set but have to know: do any of the practices have music?

I am currently checking out the free monthly trial of Udaya.com, and am
disappointed that none of the classes I've tried so far have music.
I think I got spoiled with UY's excellent music-syncing choices! And even some of MyYogaOnline's classes have music. I need music!! I've been playing my own in the background, but it's just not the same. Thanks ladies!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 01:26 PM  
laurajhawk

Yes, the Hips practice has music and I think people have been saying the others do too. I think Udaya's made-for-streaming practices do not have music, but their DVDs do. If you do a practice on Udaya.com that was made for DVD (like the Foundations practices), it has music.

The Hips practice has no music for the first several minutes. Vytas mentions that this part of the practice is the time to turn your focus inside, to get quiet, so I suppose that's why. The music in Hips is quiet and unobtrusive, not dramatic like Ultimate Yogi.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
Old 04-22-14, 01:56 PM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThatGirl View Post
Thanks again so much Kim!

Please keep me posted on the inversions class, because that is not really something I have ever been even moderately ok at. I can barely do it against a wall and that really is only for a about 2 seconds haha. I think I'd be alright with not being able to do a few poses too, I love the sound of him and the whole set so far.
I'm interested in knowing this as well. Is the inversions class the only one in which he does inversions or are they in all of the classes? I injured myself pretty seriously doing a handstand against the wall and have no desire nor feel the need to go upside down ever again. I also stay away from anything that puts pressure on the head because of neck issues I've developed. The most I will do is an L shaped inversion on the wall. These classes sound great but I'm wondering if they are beyond me. I love Travis' classes and can get through most of them pretty well, and I will buy this set if some of the harder poses are few and far between.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 04:40 PM  
AnMrsDe

Thanks for your reply, Laura! I'll keep searching Udaya.com and maybe purchasing some "yoga" music....LOL
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 05:56 PM  
laurajhawk

The Hips class has no inversions but does have several arm balances.

Old 04-22-14, 07:20 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exercise Diva View Post
I'm interested in knowing this as well. Is the inversions class the only one in which he does inversions or are they in all of the classes? I injured myself pretty seriously doing a handstand against the wall and have no desire nor feel the need to go upside down ever again. I also stay away from anything that puts pressure on the head because of neck issues I've developed. The most I will do is an L shaped inversion on the wall. These classes sound great but I'm wondering if they are beyond me. I love Travis' classes and can get through most of them pretty well, and I will buy this set if some of the harder poses are few and far between.
Exercise Diva,

IIRC, the inversions class is the only one that has any inversions and he does about 4 of them during this practice. It's not like you're constantly on your head or on your hands in handstand. It's actually a pretty enjoyable practice. I liked it a lot even though I can't do a handstand or a headstand. I talked about the inversions class in a little more detail upthread.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 07:28 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnMrsDe View Post
I may be interested in purchasing this set but have to know: do any of the practices have music?

I am currently checking out the free monthly trial of Udaya.com, and am
disappointed that none of the classes I've tried so far have music.
I think I got spoiled with UY's excellent music-syncing choices! And even some of MyYogaOnline's classes have music. I need music!! I've been playing my own in the background, but it's just not the same. Thanks ladies!
AnMrsDe,

All the practices have music but they don't start off with music from the very beginning. It starts a few minutes in. It's very low and often times you can hardly hear it, so as others have said, it's not like the music on UY. Also, the short and sweet practices don't have music but they are only around 20 minutes. I agree about the music. When I did my first Vytas practice and there was no music in the beginning, I was actually getting anxious, it was really, really bothering me. I was just at the point of getting my own music to play when the music from the DVD started. I don't know how people exercise without music. If the online classes don't have music, that's a deal breaker for me and enough of a reason that I won't subscribe.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deepen your practice, udaya.com, vytas, vytas baskauskas