Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-09, 12:39 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

New pilates/stretch/strengthen DVD by Suzanne Bowen "Release Workout"

Has anyone tried the new pilates/stretch/strengthen workout by Suzanne Bowen and Leah Sarago entitled the "Release Workout"?

It's getting very good reviews on Amazon. It's also sold on Suzanne's Ruah Movement website. Collage is reviewing it and may carry it.

Sounds like a different kind of workout.
Old 04-13-09, 12:55 PM  
adrien_73

Funny you should ask! I just previewed this on my lunch break today and I think it looks great! Just for reference, I tend to gravitate toward more advanced workouts with a more athletic approach. I keep trying to get into barre & pilates workouts but it is such a departure from what I have been doing! I am not so experienced with this style of workout, but I will try and give you some details.

First, Susan is pregnant in this workout so she offers the modified versions of the moves. Leah shows the more advanced versions, and I believe that it is her voice that is used for the voiceover instruction.

It is chaptered into 4 sections:

(1) Standing: (about 15 min) lots of lunge & plie type movements

(2) Floor 1: This should fry the core. Lots of planks and plank variations such as a plank that flows into down dog. Side planks with variations(including wide-range arm movements). Plus, push-up moves for the upper body.

(3) Floor 2: (Susan is not in this section) Some more 'pilates-type' core work--a move similar to the 100 but with much slower arm movement. Plus, some very tough-looking bridge work

(4) Stretch-sorry, my lunch break was over & I didn't get to watch!

Overall, I thought it looked like a well-rounded routine, the instruction was very clear, the music was nice and soothing, and most important of all...I think it will be challenging!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-09, 01:02 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

There is a great breakdown of Release on this thread: http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...highlight=Leah

I tried it for the first time yesterday and I really enjoyed it. IMO this is an intelligent fusion of yoga-based and pilates moves that combines large, flowing movements with isometrics holds and some small pulses. It is not a "killer" workout but it left me feeling pleasantly worked out, stretched out, and energized.

The moves focus on the entire core (abs, glutes, shoulder girdle) with a nice attention to the posterior chain (I am obsessed with that since doing Valerie Waters' Red Carpet Ready program). There is quite a bit of plank work, so those with wrist issues would have to modify.

The workout reminded me of Ellen Barrett's workouts (especially her Yogini Workout that showcases similar yoga-based and pilates moves in short combinations) and Core Fusion (similar production with voice-over and the same kind of calm mood, as well as similarities in the ab work and stretches).

I found Leah was a lovely instructor and I hope they will produce more DVDs
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-09, 08:08 PM  
RedPanda

Can someone point me to the clip? I can't find it.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-09, 08:14 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda
Can someone point me to the clip? I can't find it.

Thanks!
Here you go: http://www.ruahmovement.com/
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-09, 08:23 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie
Thanks - it's blocked at work, so I'll have to contain my curiousity.
Old 04-20-09, 08:23 PM  
sundari

I love "Release". I think this workout has a "Reach" & "Yogini" feel to it. It also has that relaxing Zen like feel of Exhale's Body Sculpt. I'm so glad I got this one. It gets to all areas and leaves you very relaxed and stretched out.

Everything about it is great. I especially liked that at the end they give you more than enough time in Shavasana. This totally cleared my mind of any of the days stresses. I can't think of another workout that gives so much time at the very end. They did a very nice job with the chaptering and very much liked the music. It was a wonderful experience. Thanks for the review Fuzzie and the recommendation.
Old 04-21-09, 10:38 AM  
mrs lightyear

apparently Mary is carrying it at totalfitnessdvd. Don't forget the 10off code
mrs lightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 06:26 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Release is on it's way to me from Mary and I can't wait! I should have it tomorrow and will do it immediately. Has anyone else tried it more than once and if so, what are your comments? I have Ellen's Yogini DVD and I'm so so about it because it's just very hard on my wrists. I am anxious to see how the two compare/contrast. The clip looks great!
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 06:42 AM  
sundari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia
Release is on it's way to me from Mary and I can't wait! I should have it tomorrow and will do it immediately. Has anyone else tried it more than once and if so, what are your comments? I have Ellen's Yogini DVD and I'm so so about it because it's just very hard on my wrists. I am anxious to see how the two compare/contrast. The clip looks great!
Release does have poses which are held for a little while in which your wrist might be affected.

Tags
pilates, stretch, suzanne bowen