Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-04, 08:53 AM  
new2me

Lexy, I can't compare yet, but I just have the Yamuna back workout and I'm really liking that. I just ordered the FitBall kit yesterday.

Hum, I also have a stray tennis ball laying around the house...may have to try that as well, lol.

The sudden precious moments in life need to be recognized for the unique periods they are, not wasted by wishing for something else. Edith Schaeffer
new2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 09:08 AM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

I had a Yamuna Body Rolling session yesterday and it was wonderful! My yoga teacher recently was certified in Yamuna Body Rolling. We started out using the the foot wakers standing at the wall. These are bigger than the foot savers and what she recommends starting with. They also have bumps all over them which feel really good on the bottoms of your feet. We then worked on hamstrings and inner and outer thighs with the red ball. The red ball is harder than the yellow and green balls and is great for legs. For my knees we used the green ball. I placed it under one knee and then used my fingers to make a circle around my patella and pressed down. For calves and lower legs we went back to the red ball. The difference I could feel after doing one whole leg and comparing it to my other leg was amazing. The rolled leg was relaxed, open, looser and longer. We then did my back from the sacrum up to the lower shoulder blade with the yellow ball and then went across the lats and rolled onto my side and worked the under arm, deltoid, biceps and triceps with the green ball. I'm going again for another session on Friday and really looking forward to it. I do yoga almost every day and I can see how helpful this is going to be to my yoga practice. It's very different from the petrone balls. The yamuna balls are much bigger and harder and noisier (rolling them clockwise and counter clockwise under a sit bone sounds like a motor running!) and are used differently. The petrone balls are much more restorative and I will continue to use them for that. I'm currently reading the Yamuna Body Rolling Book . It's very interesting and I would definitely recommend it.

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 09:21 AM  
Barb
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabush
What's the name of the DVD with tennis balls? I've got a couple of tennis balls sitting around.

Crystal
Hi Crystal: Shive Rea's cd Drops of Nectar has a tennis ball message in it. That's what made me interested in trying the Yamuna body rolling. I really much prefer the larger (somewhat softer) balls in Yamuna's kit and Fitball's kit.

Danielle: Thanks for posting about your class! How wonderful!!! Interesting about the noise...my rolling doesn't seem to make much noise at all. Hmmm.... And I totally agree with you that body rolling is helpful to yoga because my tight hamstrings and ITB have always kept me from fully going into many asanas and I'm hopeful that I'll be more flexible as I continue....I am already more easily going into foreward bends....I still don't have my heels to the ground in downward dog though. Wouldn't that be something if I could eventually do that? (I'm not expecting miracles, though! ) How did you sleep last night - did the body rolling help?
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 09:33 AM  
Seabush

Thanks Barb! Has anyone tried the Miracle Ball Method? I believe these balls/workout can be purchased at Borders.

Crystal
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 09:47 AM  
Barb
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrant
Maybe I missed it, but is everyone raving about the BACK workout only? Are there any raves for the Total Body workout?

And now that everyone has been rolling for a while, is the Yamuna ball the one I want to get? Yellow? Red? Huh?

Thanks, Lexy
Hi Lexy!
I'm raving about the back video because that's the only one I have! As soon as Yamuna releases the others on dvd, I'll buy them.

ETA: I bought the Yamuna kit that came with just one ball - the red one. Yamuna seems to treat this as the basic ball. The Fitball kit comes with three balls - however if you only buy this kit, you'll need to buy the pump that they sell if you don't have a needle pump already. (The Yamuna kit comes with a pump that fits all of the balls.)

ETA again (sorry) to say to Crystal that I haven't heard of the Miracle Ball kit, but I'm going to Borders today and I'll take a look. I'll bet that it's pretty similar.
Old 12-29-04, 09:52 AM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Thanks Barb

I'm just trying to figure out why I shouldn't just get the ball and book. "Cuz it's not a VIDEO, stupid."

So the back dvd also has releases for the hamstrings? My hamstrings are what really need some work. Lexy
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 10:08 AM  
Barb
VF Supporter

The Yamuna video actually starts by working the hamstrings and then goes up each side of the spine.

I bought the book and really like it, however, following a video is just sort of a nice way for me to relax and follow along. ( I wish that the book had a spiralbound spine. Why don't all manuals have spiralbound spines????)

The Fitball dvd starts with the spine and then releases the hip flexors from the front, by lying on the ball and then goes down the ITB.
Old 12-29-04, 11:00 AM  
agilejacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrant
Maybe I missed it, but is everyone raving about the BACK workout only? Are there any raves for the Total Body workout?

And now that everyone has been rolling for a while, is the Yamuna ball the one I want to get? Yellow? Red? Huh?

Thanks, Lexy
Last night I took another lesson. All of the workouts are amazing. We've done pretty much the whole basic leg routines, hamstrings, quads, outerthigh and innerthigh; the chest and shoulders and which were a bit hard for me, just because of my own weaknesses; the pelvic routine which is great for the lowerback; and the foot routines are quite effective.

The energy the routines create is amazing.

The red ball is the "basic" ball. The yellow one is the same size, but it's made of softer material. They recommend the yellow one for people who may be more sensitive or not so flexible. The red one should not be inflated to totally solid. It should have some give.

I think this program is a great tool for anyone, not just people doing yoga.

By the way, Yamuna's website was showing DVD's available to practitioners last week. Should be available to the rest of us very soon.

Mary,
Chicago, IL
agilejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 12:24 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle*
The petrone balls are much more restorative and I will continue to use them for that. I'm currently reading the Yamuna Body Rolling Book . It's very interesting and I would definitely recommend it.
Agggh, Danielle, I've been trying to avoid buying this book! You're pushing me off the wagon again!

Thanks for the further detail on your class. It sounds great. I agree with you, the rolling type ball workout does not feel as restorative as lying on the Petrone balls - but they definately have different strengths and advantages.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 12:27 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabush
Thanks Barb! Has anyone tried the Miracle Ball Method? I believe these balls/workout can be purchased at Borders.

Crystal
Crystal - the Miracle Balls are the same ones we are talking about when we refer to the Petrone Balls (Elaine Petrone=Miracle Ball Method). If Danielle has them handy, she has a few good links to magazine articles that show some exercises (or you can google them).

The main difference is that the ball is smaller (4 inches) and instead of rolling on them, you just lie on them and let gravity/pressure release the area.

A couple of us here have been using them for a while, as Danielle mentioned they feel more restorative in effect; they definately have a place in your ball work/yoga/stretching routine, if you like that kind of thing.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheryl soleway, stomach massage, yamuna, yamuna ball substitutes