Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-24-04, 08:57 AM  
new2me

Melissa - I just tried the basic back routine this week. First of all it was very relaxing (although I am so tight in some areas that I did feel a bit of "pain"--not the bad kind, but just the kind that you know you're working something that needs to be worked). What I noticed is that my hips and hamstrings felt much looser. I had a chiropractic appointment the day after I tried this and she had a much easier time adjusting my lower back/hip area and my neck. My upper back still can't be adjusted, but I'm thinking if I do this regularly to supplement my monthly therapeutic massage, it will help tremendously. I'll let Barb speak for herself, but after a PM from her, they're now on my list too!

The sudden precious moments in life need to be recognized for the unique periods they are, not wasted by wishing for something else. Edith Schaeffer
new2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-04, 09:29 AM  
Barb
VF Supporter

Happy Holidays to everyone!! Yes, I'm still loving the Yamuna Back rolling kit.

I just received the Fitball kit on 12-22 (ordered it on 12-1 - so that took a long time!). The Fitball kit came with 3 balls (small [advanced] medium [intermediate] and large [beginner] and a dvd, unfortunately the middle ball is defective (I called the 800 number and they were VERY nice and are sending me another one - the woman seemed to know that there were some defective balls.) Well, back to the kit - the dvd was excellent. It was 45 minutes of mostly back (spine) rolling with a little bit for the hamstrings and quads. I really enjoyed the instuctor, she had a soothing voice, cued well and there was relaxing music and video interspersed with beautiful scenery. So the whole thing was very relaxing. I used the large ball and got a wonderful back massage and experimented (without the video) with the small ball (it's great for the neck and legs). I think that I might prefer the Yamuna ball but my husband loves the small ball for his tight shoulders and neck, so it's a toss up. The Yamuna ball is harder and keeps its air better. The Fitballs seem to lose air quickly and need to be refilled a bit each time you use them, which is not a problem. The Yamuna air pump fits the Fitballs so you don't need to buy two.

The instructor said that Fitball will be coming out with several new dvds for body rolling but when I called, the woman at Fitball said that none were immediately planned. This is disappointing. On a more positive note, the Yamuna vhs tapes should be out on dvd soon, so I'll buy those.

I am really enjoying this body rolling and highly recommend it for anyone with tight muscles. It has helped my hamstrings immensely and it really relaxes me for a good night's sleep.
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-04, 04:26 PM  
Sophie

Fitball/Body Dynamic Small Ball Release

I just did this one last night and completely agree with Barb. Really nice DVD, lovely instruction, I loved her voice and manner. There were a few times I wasn't quite sure what to do, but I think a few run throughs will make it go smoother. Loved the way they intercut to scenery. The variety of music was nice, ranging from classical to new agey.

Some of the exercises were somewhat familiar to me, because I've been using the Petrone balls for some time, but what did take me some getting used to is moving and rolling around. With the 4 inch Petrone balls, you just lie on them and let gravity take over, so with this method it took me a while to get the feel of actually moving on them. I felt kind of jerky doing this, but I think that again, with practice, it will get smoother, and the body awareness will increase.

I don't have the Yamuna kit to compare it to (though I'm sure I'll try that one as well some day) but I am pretty happy with this one, and plan to use it often; I think there is plenty of leeway to use the ball on your own even without the DVD, especially as there were several exercises I could have stayed in longer.

I would love to see more DVD's from this company and am disappointed that there are no plans for more. I thought Cheryl Soloway, the concept, and production were all excellent.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-04, 09:26 AM  
Barb
VF Supporter

I just did this one again last night Sophie, and liked it even more than the first time. (I did Yamuna's spinal rolling tape on Sunday - to compare.) I just can't decide which I like better and would recommend for someone who just wants just one. I think that I'm leaning toward the fitball one, but as soon as Yamuna's other tapes come out on dvd, I'll try those and see.

I am definitely seeing a loosening in my hamstrings and ITB, so I will for sure keep up these rolling routines.
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-04, 10:07 AM  
agilejacks

Body Rolling

Just thought I'd jump in here too...

I looked on Yamuna's website and found a couple people in my area (Chicago) who are certified in the Body Rolling. Through them I got the book and red ball. It's really great. I also got the foot walkers and foot wakers for my Mom for Christmas. She's always got sore feet and worries about circulation due to diabetes. These will be a great help for her.

Until the DVD's come out, I figured I'd take a class (un-video fitness!). Well, it was amazing. I could not believe the energy I felt running through my back. I've got some chronic pain due to an old falling-off-a-horse injury and the rolling really made it feel better. Also, it was interesting to feel how my muscles were battling to go back to their normal "closed positions".

Mary
agilejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-04, 04:54 PM  
suebella
VF Supporter

Is this similar to using tennis balls?

I had a DVD (name escapes me) that used tennis balls to break up the tension in the back muscles.

Edited to add: Never mind! I went back and clicked on the links. Looks like the balls are larger!

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-04, 05:02 PM  
Sophie

yeah, kind of but different

Tennis balls are great too! I think that the different ball sizes and different ways of using them (static vs. rolling, vs. short strokes, etc) all address similar things - relieving myofascial tension and/or releasing trigger points so that the muscles can relax. They're all great for self-massage.
Actually, right now I'm sitting in my computer chair with a hard rubber ball against my back - how's that for multi-tasking?

The magazine Yoga International has a pretty good article this month about using tennis balls prior to stretching. The online article is here (if it doesn't go straight there, go to the home page the link should be there):

Tennis Ball Techniques for Tight Muscles

I'm pretty much sold on using balls in conjunction with yoga for helping release. I think it's worth having an array of these in your toolbox.

I hope Danielle* sees this thread - she just went to a rolling class recently.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-04, 08:21 PM  
suebella
VF Supporter

I printed out the Tennis Ball Techniques article...

...and raced home to do it.

It felt wonderful!

Of course, now I am seriously considering the other workouts, but I really shouldn't. Not post-Christmas.

But, but, but....it's certainly cheaper than drinking!

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-04, 09:18 PM  
Seabush

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebella
I had a DVD (name escapes me) that used tennis balls to break up the tension in the back muscles.

Edited to add: Never mind! I went back and clicked on the links. Looks like the balls are larger!
What's the name of the DVD with tennis balls? I've got a couple of tennis balls sitting around.

Crystal
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-04, 10:05 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Yamuna Kit

Maybe I missed it, but is everyone raving about the BACK workout only? Are there any raves for the Total Body workout?

And now that everyone has been rolling for a while, is the Yamuna ball the one I want to get? Yellow? Red? Huh?

Thanks, Lexy
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheryl soleway, stomach massage, yamuna, yamuna ball substitutes