Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-29-13, 08:42 AM  
Jenmgo

Star Trac vs Spinner? help please!

I am really wanting to purchase a spin bike and add spinning into my weekly workouts. I am looking to spin maybe once or twice a week. I need something affordable (so i have to purchase used) but also want something quality that will last a long time and is not too hard to move out of the way (since it will be sharing my workout space).

I found these two bikes locally, both around the $250 price range (and since they are local sellers the price may be negotiated). Does anyone have experience with the bikes i found? One says its a Star Trac and the other is a Spinner Fit. The Spinner Fit is in excellent like new condition and the Star Trac I am told is also in great shape but I dont know the model numbers or how old the Star Trac spinning bike is. To me, they almost look exactly the same. Are they from the same maker?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spin1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	3878  
Jenmgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-13, 08:45 AM  
Jenmgo

the first pic is the star trac bike. i couldn't figure out how to make the SPinner Fit gym bike photo smaller but here is the link to the bike they are selling

http://spinning.com/en/webshop/product/814/

any thoughts, input or advice would be greatly appreciated. I did research and looked up other threads re:spin bikes but I am confused
Old 10-29-13, 09:26 AM  
Jenmgo

I also read some reviews on the Sunny Health and Fitness Pro bike. I would consider this one as well since its all in the same price range. Does anyone own this one? I am wondering if any of these three options would be a good choice. Thanks!
Old 10-29-13, 10:18 AM  
adrien_73

I Can only speak to the Spinner bike since I have tried the higher-end model in a sports equipment store. It is chain-driven which I personally don't care for since it makes a bit more noise and doesn't ride as smooth. Many prefer the chain since it feels more like a road bike.

I have owned the Multisport ENC-420 and now the 650 model. These are much more expensive but to me it was well worth it to have a belt instead of a chain. These ride super smooth (for the most part) and are much more quiet. I exercise at 3:30-4:00 am so this is huge to me!

I will say that I upgraded to the 650 expecting superior performance and I have been seriously disappointed. I wish I had saved my money and stuck with the 420. I only upgraded because the 420 did start to rust after about 8 years of use. I was spinning more regularly due to some chronic knee issues and thought it would be a worthwhile investment.

Sorry to ramble but just wanted to mention the chain vs. belt issue! I'm sure you will love spinning! It has given my legs tremendous definition that I never got with years and years of step and other forms of cardio. Plus, I don't have to worry about tripping on my own 2 feet!

Good luck with your decision!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-13, 10:34 AM  
Jenmgo

Thank you for your input! Are the three I mentioned all chain driven?
Old 10-29-13, 10:50 AM  
icrosstrain

I just bought a Bladez Velopro from my local Sears. It was last years model discounted from $799 to $299 + 5% off; new in the box. It's a belt driven, 40 lb flywheel. The seat fully adjusts up/dn, forward and back. The handlebars also adjust up/dn, forward and back. I love it. Check with you local Sears or they have some on their website at the outlet store; but some descriptions say reconditioned.

Dianne
icrosstrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-13, 08:04 AM  
Jenmgo

Thank you..I looked that one up as well. I don't really know what's better..belt or chain. There are so many conflicting reviews on the bikes I look up lol. I also found the sunny health and fitness bike on amazon. I believe it's chain and it got mostly good reviews. I'm just trying to decide which is right for me, but also in the budget, 200 or 300 is a lot for me, so I want to make sure I pick the right bike. Thanks for the advice so far. I really want to spin
Old 10-30-13, 09:24 AM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

I have both a chain and belt driven bike. The belt driven bike is quieter and feels smoother, but that shouldn't be your deciding factor. Some of the best/most expensive bike are chain driven.

What I would do is try to get on the bike and see how it fits...if you can't get a good fit on your bike, you're much less likely to use it. I had my heart set on a Kaiser M3, until I went to a gym that had them and tried one out...it is an amazing spin bike, but for me was so uncomfortable!

Good luck!
Trixoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-13, 10:16 AM  
Jenmgo

Thank you Trixoo. I can't try out the online one i dont think, and the other two are local. I just wanted to see if anyone has owned any of the above bikes and could offer advice. Thank you for all the suggestions so far everyone. I really want to spin and hope to purchase this week or sometime in the near future. Even though I only own one spin dvd lol
Old 10-30-13, 11:55 AM  
beth22

I have a chain-driven bike at home but I prefer the belt-driven bikes at my gym -- they're MUCH smoother and quieter. I really wish the bike I'd gotten didn't have a chain The smoothness is really important to me.
beth22 is offline   Reply With Quote