Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-20, 09:47 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynleigh View Post
Getting on/off the reformer while on the floor is a real drag for me and as I age, it's only going to get worse.
At this time I haven't any problem getting up from floor and hope I never will but I recently became interested in "rolling" and some other functional movements that Mark Lauren has introduced into his latest two programs, Bodyweight 2.0 and 90 Day Challenge, which led me to Tim Anderson's Original Strength program of "resets" which should prevent any such future problem.

Anderson advocates a basic daily program of 5 main exercises: (1) Diaphragmatic/Belly Breathing with one's tongue on the roof of the mouth, (2) Nodding - lifting, lowering and turning ones head (good for the vestibular system), (3) Rolling - segmentally either beginning with the upper or lower body, (4) Rocking (back and forth, diagonally and in a circular motion, and (5) crawling - baby style, leopard, or spiderman. And he gives progressions for all of these.

These fundamental movements are supposed to be good for strengthing or rehabilitating the brain, nervous system, etc. based on the latest research. Besides seeing the rolling incorporated into Mark Lauren's workouts, I've come across this program mentioned several times in the KB community as improving one's suppleness and strength and recommend looking into it. Original Strength has several books on Amazon and has a YouTube Channel.
Old 02-03-20, 09:13 PM  
yoga1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith L View Post
Lynleigh says in another post that she does "quite a bit of standing work alongside the reformer that requires it to be elevated" but actually, in the classical Pilates repertoire I can think of only one exercise that requires an elevated platform: the Semi-Circle, where you dip down into the well. Eve's Lunge is not part of the Classical Repertoire and is Eve Gentry's modification/variation of one of the exercises of the Splits Series. One could do a classical front split with the front leg on the footbar or a Russian Split in which one faces the rear with the front foot on the head pad and the back leg on the footbar. (And I should think you can also modify the front split by keeping one's front foot on the foot rest instead of the footbar.) Further, if one has poor balance a pole could be used.

All arm exercises are/can be done on the box so that there is room to extend the arm down.

I've had the relatively inexpensive AeroPilates Performer, Anniversary edition, without an elevated platform for over 10 years and have been very happy with it. I leave it open and being on the floor it helps keep the room looking "airy".
Thanks for this Judith. Honestly, I was a little confused. It's been a few years since I've consistently studied pilates and I was afraid that maybe I forgot some intermediate or advanced exercises that may have required an elevated platform. And thanks for sharing your experience with the AeroPilates! I think it may be a slight adjustment to get used to working on the floor but I'm sure now that it will be fine.
yoga1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 09:18 PM  
yoga1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by VainJane View Post
It's most likely not the answer you want to hear, but nothing compares to a workout on a classical Reformer made by Gratz or Pilates Designs By Basil. I had worked out on BB and Stott equipment for a very long time, but after trying classical equipment five years ago, I will never use non-classical equipment again.

You can't stand a classical Reformer on its end when not using it, but it has a smaller footprint than BB reformers. They are very pricy to order new, but you can often find gently used ones for a good price on Craigslist or FB Marketplace. If there's a way to re-arrange the man-cave to permanently make room for one, I highly recommend it.
If I get really into and grow my home pilates practice and eventually have more space at home to have a dedicated corner for my reformer, I'll definitely look into a Gratz reformer! I'm not "there" yet and at this point I definitely need something that can either fold or store on end.
Old 09-20-20, 01:13 PM  
yoga1566

Hey guys! Just wanted to share that I recently got super lucky and was able to buy an IQ reformer pre-owned for only $800! The woman who sold it to me said she only used it once or twice after buying it but was too intimidated to keep doing pilates without an instructor. The thing looks like it was never used so I feel like I got an awesome deal. The IQ is fantastic and it easily fits into the closet in my office for storage. I used it for the first time yesterday and have realized how far out of pilates shape I am atm! So I'm happy to get back into it. I just ordered a low folding mat from Gratz and have a Centerline chair from BB being delivered today so I should be all set for the foreseeable future with my own little mini-studio.
Old 09-20-20, 05:13 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

I'm very happy for you! Your patience was rewarded. Enjoy! .

Tags
balanced body, pilates reformer, reformer, tim anderson