Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-14-16, 09:08 PM  
daisyduke

Do you follow your bliss or do workouts you think you should do or need

I love yoga. I love it so much. I'm a stay at home mom that homeschools my kids and my husband works and travels a lot. Doing yoga calms my body and mind. I did ultimate yogi the entire time i was pregnant with my daughter.

Buuuttt... I always feel like if I just do yoga I'm not getting enough cardio. Or I think the firm will slim my legs more. Or I'll get better definition with Tracy Anderson etc. so I force myself to do other workouts which just adds stress to my day.

Has anyone just followed what they love? How are your results? Do you feel like you're missing out?

As always thanks in advance!
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-16, 09:21 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I only do workouts I enjoy. Period. I crave variety so I do lots of different things - Pilates, yoga, Essentrics, barre, low impact cardio, swimming.... And I may not be buff, but I am fit, trim, flexible, and feel good. And that works for me.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-16, 09:50 PM  
Boots

There was a time when all I wanted to do was walk, so I did Leslie Sansone workouts only for six weeks. I didn't change my eating habits, and I didn't do any strength training. However, I did lose 6 pounds, and I felt great! I don't think I gained any muscle, but I felt fit, and I obviously lost inches, because I was able to fit into a pair of jeans I hadn't been able to wear for years! If I hadn't done those Leslie workouts, I probably wouldn't have exercised at all. I just did what I felt like doing, and I got some pretty good results. I say go with how you feel. Yoga is great for the body and mind, so you are doing something good for yourself. To me, the most important thing is to keep your body moving, and if you like what you see and how you feel, then you are on the right track.
Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-16, 10:05 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Great feel good success story Boots, thanks for sharing!

I think consistency is the key to reaching one's fitness goals, what ever they may be. And its much easier to be consistent if you enjoy your workouts!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-16, 10:29 PM  
BunnyHop

I find I'm more likely to be consistent if I do what I like (which is apparently good for me).

Doing pretty much the same thing for an extended period seems to help me focus on improving my form and how deeply I work. If I feel I need to go lighter, I sometimes do something less familiar at least in part because the learn as you go aspect of it kinda slows me down and keeps me from over doing it. Variety isn't all bad.
Old 10-15-16, 06:19 AM  
Cher

I do sort of force myself to do a few workouts I don't love like strength training....which I really dread! I know I need to have some muscle so I try to do some. I like to do cardio (not drills) just fun to me cardio (step, Jessica Smith, Leslie, Country Heat, etc.); so I try to do workouts I enjoy most days and squeeze in a couple workouts I don't (like strength workouts). I would like to do more yoga but barely make time for that....which I know I should and actually need.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-16, 06:57 AM  
sherry7899

I have to keep restarting exercise due to chronic injuries/insomnia. I decided this time I'm going to follow my bliss I like that phrase! I've been doing yoga and Soul Sweat workouts from powhow, and I'm having a blast-exercise is fun again! I'm actually looking forward to it . I've found tons of new to me yoga for free on you tube. I'm able to do longer cardio three or four days a week since I am enjoying it , it's not boring drills, and I'm not clock watching. I love kickboxing, but since I have a chronic shoulder injury and low back issues, if I do it too often I end up hurting myself and then I can't do anything. With low impact dance, I can exercise without pain.

I know I need strength training, but for now I'm counting yoga as bodyweight workouts. I'll pick up my weights again at some point.

I've been doing yoga about every day, with a longer restorative/yin practice on Sundays for my "rest" day and cardio three or four days a week. This has been working really well for me for three weeks now .

Sherry

Cher-there are tons of fifteen and twenty minute yoga practices on you tube. I'm finding I can be more consistent with shorter practices and still do them on the same days I do cardio since they are not long.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-16, 07:15 AM  
geojill

I try doing workouts that I think I need, that I think will give my body better physical (read: vanity) results but I can't do them long because they develop a serious dread factor. Then I move on to workouts that make me feel good, especially when I am under a lot of stress.

I love the phrase 'follow my bliss' and I think it may become my exercise motto Thank you!!
Old 10-15-16, 07:18 AM  
Breezy Trousers

It's 50/50 for me. I try to follow my bliss once it finally dawned on me that workouts don't lead to weight loss for me -- diet does -- but do lead to toning and healthy body function. Self-kindness goes a long way toward supporting consistency!

However, I also eat my vegetables. I take yoga classes and am currently exploring pilates because I want to maintain flexibility and core strength. I do enjoy stretching and foam rolling on my own while watching TV, but I tend to do the exercises I prefer, so I need a class (live, DVD or streaming) to force me to do the exercises I'd rather skip. These are usually the very exercises I need to do.

[ETA: To be honest, if I followed my bliss, I wouldn't work out at all! It's not that I hate working out, but more that it's very hard for me to find time to just sit down and relax each day between working a demanding full-time job and running errands/doing chores in between. I'd rather read & relax during my spare time than work out.]

Last edited by Breezy Trousers; 10-15-16 at 09:36 AM. Reason: On second thought ....
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-16, 07:21 AM  
schoolgirl-01

i follow my bliss. it's the only way for me to stay consistent. if i don't love it i just won't do it.

my training goal is only mental health so following my bliss will always achieve that goal.
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote