Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-16, 12:50 PM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

30 minute workouts not enough

Because of a busy life, I've been trying the 30 minute workouts which are so popular now (most recently 21DF and 21DFX), and I've just realized this is not enough for me. Anyone else feel like the 30 minutes are just not enough to see any results? I know eating is a major portion of it, and mine isn't perfect, but I just feel like at age 40, I need to start exercising more, not less. Is it just me?
Old 05-20-16, 01:00 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily B View Post
Because of a busy life, I've been trying the 30 minute workouts which are so popular now (most recently 21DF and 21DFX), and I've just realized this is not enough for me. Anyone else feel like the 30 minutes are just not enough to see any results? I know eating is a major portion of it, and mine isn't perfect, but I just feel like at age 40, I need to start exercising more, not less. Is it just me?
Curious to know what 'results' means for you?
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 01:12 PM  
MARIKA

Sometimes I feel the same. I usually do a 30 min workout like X3 or Hard Corp, or now I'm doing JNL again. Then I add on my barre work so it's around an hr. For me though I just can't face longer workouts anymore like in the past. I just focus on when I did do longer stuff my body didn't look any better. When I see a timer that starts with 45 min or more I cringe.
Old 05-20-16, 01:19 PM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

I guess i just feel like the weight creeps up little by little each year, and to keep it off, I just feel like 30 minutes isn't enough for me. That's what I mean by results. I eat healthy, but not 100% clean all the time. I'm too busy for that, ha ha! I'm not trying to get a six pack, but I would like to just keep my pants fitting the same way. And part of me just doesn't feel worked out. Or not satisfied in some way. Those intense 30 minute workouts just have a huge dread factor for me, honestly. I'm talking about workouts like JMBR, JNL Fusion, 21DF, 21DFX, etc.
Old 05-20-16, 01:20 PM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
Sometimes I feel the same. I usually do a 30 min workout like X3 or Hard Corp, or now I'm doing JNL again. Then I add on my barre work so it's around an hr. For me though I just can't face longer workouts anymore like in the past. I just focus on when I did do longer stuff my body didn't look any better. When I see a timer that starts with 45 min or more I cringe.
I feel like nothing I do makes my body look any better! So I understand the idea of working out less time if more isn't better anyway.
Old 05-20-16, 01:55 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I'm almost 50 and am noticing working out more gets me nowhere, so I've cut back and that works out better. When I was your age, hour long workouts worked best. Weird how things change as we get older.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 01:56 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily B View Post
I guess i just feel like the weight creeps up little by little each year, and to keep it off, I just feel like 30 minutes isn't enough for me. That's what I mean by results. I eat healthy, but not 100% clean all the time. I'm too busy for that, ha ha! I'm not trying to get a six pack, but I would like to just keep my pants fitting the same way. And part of me just doesn't feel worked out. Or not satisfied in some way. Those intense 30 minute workouts just have a huge dread factor for me, honestly. I'm talking about workouts like JMBR, JNL Fusion, 21DF, 21DFX, etc.
I wonder if it isn't the intensity that's not agreeing with you, more so than the duration of the workout. I'm finding as I get deeper into my 40's that I am similarly turned off my very high intensity workouts. I just don't feel well after I do them. It can also provoke a stress response that causes your body to hold on to weight. Maybe just try lower intensity and see how you feel?

The sticky wicket, of course, is that life does get crazy and sometimes 30 minutes (or 20, or 15!) is all we can manage. Any of it is good for health and well-being.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 02:03 PM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

I agree about the intensity possibly being the issue. There are many threads on here where people have scaled back and see some weight loss from that, plus they felt better.

I'm in that boat myself right now, I'm 46 and I just can't face the really tough workouts very often anymore, so I'm doing Jessica Smith, light aerobics, Classical Stretch, and lighter weights. Typically 30 min or less. And then I try to do more walking, and more general activity throughout the day. I often jump on my treadmill in the evening and walk at a comfortable pace while I watch TV.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 02:16 PM  
Dabbadooey

I've been taking hour long barre3 classes at a studio. I have found that I have had to back off from the instructors who teach the really intense classes. They were wearing me out, and they made me ravenous. I'm 56.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 02:19 PM  
momofcha

I'm in a different camp than you. the more I read, the more I realize I need to step it down a notch, not up. The tougher workouts I do, the more I stress my body and the more it holds on to weight. Obviously, everybody is different, but I am giving this a shot to see if it doesn't help me lose what I'm holding on to.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 minute workouts, duration and frequency