Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-16, 05:10 PM  
Chomper

Body Image Strongly Tied To Overall Life Satisfaction

http://psychcentral.com/news/2016/05...on/103115.html

For me the importance of body image issues has always been about wanting people to have better lives.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-16, 10:00 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

This stood out for me:
Quote:
For women, satisfaction with their personal appearance was the third strongest predictor of overall life satisfaction, behind only satisfaction with financial situation and satisfaction with romantic partner. For men, personal appearance was the second strongest predictor of life satisfaction, behind only satisfaction with financial situation.
According to this study, it sounds like men are more vain about their bodies than women!
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 12:50 AM  
videofit

I'm happy with my body but my finances and romantic life at the moment both suck!
Old 05-20-16, 03:38 AM  
nckfitheart

For me Being Happy with his/her own body image is top important cause it affect other aspect of our lives. It has a major impact on romantic life for both men and women.

Managing our own flaws, cause no one is perfect, is part of this happiness.

Men are actually more "vain" than women. I have always sensed it. They just have many ways of covering this fact IMO.

Interesting topic Chomper
nckfitheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 08:59 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Hmmm.... Article states: "The findings also showed that people with poor body image had higher neuroticism, had more preoccupied and fearful attachment styles, and spent more hours watching television."

Wonder if this isn't a what-came-first-chicken-or-egg issue. By that I mean, do they watch more television because they have a poor body image, or does watching television promote a poor body image? I suspect it's more the latter than the former.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 09:45 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

This makes me sad. I mean, it's just our bodies...our shell. Not who we are. Certainly we all want to look good and more importantly feel good. Our country is so obsessed with appearance, though. It just isn't healthy to be so wrapped up in what we look like.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 09:52 AM  
prettyinpink

I wonder how old the surveyed adults were.

I think body acceptance generally grows with age.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 09:52 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
This makes me sad. I mean, it's just our bodies...our shell. Not who we are. Certainly we all want to look good and more importantly feel good. Our country is so obsessed with appearance, though. It just isn't healthy to be so wrapped up in what we look like.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm quite plain (maybe worse lol) and quite happy. So they can bite me
Old 05-20-16, 09:55 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Yes, so true. And it's really foolish how much we obsess and invest in our appearance, given that beauty, as our culture defines it, fades over the years. (I certainly believe older people can be very attractive, but the kind of beauty so vigilantly pursued is typically that associated with youth.)
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 10:29 AM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

Quote:
It's difficult not to get obsessed with appearance when you have most of a society telling you you're not acceptable the way you are...

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body image