Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-16, 10:54 AM  
SandyT

"Traditional" Kettlebell DVDs?

Hey Everyone,
So I want to start kettlebells. I have already had one-on-one instruction to get the basic form down safely. I really like how kettlebells work the posterior chain...something I badly need. However, now that I am looking at dvds to use at home it seems that most of them just use the kettlebell to do the same old exercises that I've been doing for years with dumbbells with maybe a few swings added to the mix. Also, it seems that most of them are so fast that you would have to stay light to keep up.
So here's my question. Which dvd's are closer to traditional kettlebells?
I hope my question makes sense
Thanks,
Sandy
SandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-16, 11:19 AM  
carres1973

I think the Art of Strength (Anthony DiLuglio) DVDs are an EXCELLENT example of "traditional" kettlebell workouts. I think people also like Lauren Brooks for the same reason.

Carrie
carres1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-16, 11:23 AM  
sciencelady

Yes, agree with carres1973's recommendations!
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-16, 12:33 PM  
SandyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by carres1973 View Post
I think the Art of Strength (Anthony DiLuglio) DVDs are an EXCELLENT example of "traditional" kettlebell workouts. I think people also like Lauren Brooks for the same reason.

Carrie
Thanks...off to google them
I would be interested to know what size KB people use with AoS or Lauren's dvd's if anyone wants to chime in...
Old 05-16-16, 01:15 PM  
Eibhinn

Your starting weight will vary based on your individual strength, obviously, but to give you some idea... I'm naturally fairly strong, but not an advanced exerciser by any means. I started doing traditional style kettlebell training with a ten pound kettlebell and it was WAY too light. I then got a twenty pound bell, and it was great for me. I could deal with a 30 pound bell for some exercises fairly quickly, but that was too heavy for me to use right away for most exercises. I think Pavel Tsatsouline usually recommends 18 pounds to start for women so, depending on what kettlebell weights you have access to, something like 18-20 pounds is probably a good start. I tried a 15 pound kettlebell in the store, and that was too light for me, but if you are small and aren't able to lift very heavy at all, that might work for you to start. I think 10 pounds is too light to start traditional kettlebell training for almost any adult. You just can't get the form of the swing right without some weight behind it. I've been doing kettlebells for a few years, and am still just using a pair of 20s and a 30 - this includes for AOS and Lauren Brooks workouts. Sometimes I wish I had a heavier bell for heavy exercises like swings and deadlifts, but those bells have been treating me fairly well otherwise.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-16, 01:30 PM  
SandyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
Your starting weight will vary based on your individual strength, obviously, but to give you some idea... I'm naturally fairly strong, but not an advanced exerciser by any means. I started doing traditional style kettlebell training with a ten pound kettlebell and it was WAY too light. I then got a twenty pound bell, and it was great for me. I could deal with a 30 pound bell for some exercises fairly quickly, but that was too heavy for me to use right away for most exercises. I think Pavel Tsatsouline usually recommends 18 pounds to start for women so, depending on what kettlebell weights you have access to, something like 18-20 pounds is probably a good start. I tried a 15 pound kettlebell in the store, and that was too light for me, but if you are small and aren't able to lift very heavy at all, that might work for you to start. I think 10 pounds is too light to start traditional kettlebell training for almost any adult. You just can't get the form of the swing right without some weight behind it. I've been doing kettlebells for a few years, and am still just using a pair of 20s and a 30 - this includes for AOS and Lauren Brooks workouts. Sometimes I wish I had a heavier bell for heavy exercises like swings and deadlifts, but those bells have been treating me fairly well otherwise.
Good to know. Most places seem to recommend starting with 18 lb. But with the speed of work in some of the videos I've seen I think I would be lucky to keep up with 10 lbs without hurting myself! Granted I think most of the videos I've seen are cardio heavy instead of strength ...Katami Drills, Bento Dynamics, Bob Cardio Shred, Benten Butts and Gutts, Miller Bootcamp.
I think with the more traditional dvds I might could handle 18 lbs to start with. Thanks for your advice.
Old 05-16-16, 05:24 PM  
Eibhinn

I was definitely talking in terms of more traditional kettlebell workouts done at a controlled speed. Those "cardio" style workouts are the only thing I've used my ten pounder for (and turkish get-ups, because I find those mega hard). That said, I really don't like those non-traditional kettlebell workouts. I find them really hard on the body. I sustained my only long-term fitness injury doing one, whereas absolutely no problems from heavy style stuff. For me, anyway, those high rep light weight kettlebell workouts have a lot of wear and tear, and also I feel like they're pretty untested and experimental. But that's just my opinion. Other people do them with no problem.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-16, 05:30 PM  
deineira

Skogg is pretty traditional. He has a DVD series and online streaming. Online he may mix kettlebell moves with other body weight trying, but he doesn't get fancy with either one.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-16, 05:46 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Lauren Brooks has a DVD called The Kettlebell Body that is excellent. There are 3 workouts on the DVD and it is strength based, so it moves much slower than metabolic-type kettlebell workouts.

Mark de Grasse has a DVD called Fitness is Function. He doesn't sell it on his website, but you can get it at Onnit.com for $5 for the download.

https://www.onnit.com/fitness-is-fun...l-dvd/?pid=778

There is also the Primal workout that Mark did with John Wolf that's available for under $10.

https://www.onnit.com/primal-bell-wo...gram/?pid=2133

Mark has his Megamad DVD for sale for $19 on his website. I have it, but haven't used it. I've previewed all of the workout and they move at a controlled pace.

http://markdegrasse.com/shop/megamad...s-workout-dvd/

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-16, 06:42 PM  
Chomper

Thanks for the links, Linda.

I have the Megamad Essentials disc and even have breakdowns if anyone is interested. I have done one of the workouts, the Kettlebell sandbag one. I am not that happy with it.

Sandy, I don't have it yet, but Providence seems to be the favorite of the Art of Strength DVDs around here for people.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlebell workouts, traditional kb workouts