Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-12, 04:39 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I just realized something about my knees...

Is this true for anyone else?

It just dawned on me today that I have more problems with my chondromalacia acting up during TTOTM. It seems that during other times of the month I can do high impact 2 or 3 times in a given week with no issues whatsoever. However, during the few days before and during my monthly "friend", I can't tolerate high impact or torquey moves very well at all. I find I have to ice my knees more and they get more unstable and make cracking noises as the patella moves around and slips out of place. Is this normal? Does anyone else with knee issues notice this trend?

Now that I've finally made this connection I can make better adjustments to my workout schedule during those times. This whole knee thing has been such a long learning curve!
Old 03-29-12, 05:14 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Really? No one else has noticed this or had this problem? Maybe I'm just weird...LOL
Old 03-29-12, 05:17 PM  
Poodlepants

I noticed this, too, last month! My knees felt "wiggly" just before my period. I know our bodies produce relaxin while pregnant, but I wonder what causes this joint laxity just before TTOM.
Poodlepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 05:21 PM  
Breezy Trousers

I never made the connection until now, but I think you may be on to something. My knee felt faintly wonky just a few days before (after doing Tonique Sculpt Dynamics) and, usually, I have no knee problems. I thought it might be the workout but will try it again tomorrow to see if I have a different experience.

Thanks for posting!
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 06:36 PM  
Rynsha77

I have had this problem too. I actually read and article about menstruation and your joints. There is this one:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6354303.stm
It made sense with what I have experienced. I hope this helps!
Old 03-29-12, 07:02 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynsha77 View Post
I have had this problem too. I actually read and article about menstruation and your joints. There is this one:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6354303.stm
It made sense with what I have experienced. I hope this helps!

Wow! That is a really interesting article and makes sense with my experience too. Thanks for posting the link!
Old 03-30-12, 06:11 PM  
bettyboopboop

It is so crazy that you posted this now! Last night I was doing Ultimate Yogi Cardio and about 10 minutes in I was in a deep lunge with my left leg in front, and I got this sharp pain in my left knee. I had to stop my workout. I was wondering if the pain came from overuse, as I've been exercising more consistently in the last two weeks than I have in a while, but I wasn't having any pain in my knees until that moment. Interestingly, it was day 2 of my period. I wonder if that has something to do with it? I hope that as my period progresses and hormones even out my knee will feel better. I was doing so awesome with exercising...I don't want joint issues to get in my way!

Rynsha77- what an interesting article!

So, what do people suggest for getting joints safely through ttotm. Maybe my form was off when I went into lunge, as UY Cardio moves pretty fast. I don't recall injuring myself during ttotm before. Maybe just being extra careful about form and choosing less intense workouts?
Old 03-30-12, 08:56 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyboopboop View Post
It is so crazy that you posted this now! Last night I was doing Ultimate Yogi Cardio and about 10 minutes in I was in a deep lunge with my left leg in front, and I got this sharp pain in my left knee. I had to stop my workout. I was wondering if the pain came from overuse, as I've been exercising more consistently in the last two weeks than I have in a while, but I wasn't having any pain in my knees until that moment. Interestingly, it was day 2 of my period. I wonder if that has something to do with it? I hope that as my period progresses and hormones even out my knee will feel better. I was doing so awesome with exercising...I don't want joint issues to get in my way!

Rynsha77- what an interesting article!

So, what do people suggest for getting joints safely through ttotm. Maybe my form was off when I went into lunge, as UY Cardio moves pretty fast. I don't recall injuring myself during ttotm before. Maybe just being extra careful about form and choosing less intense workouts?
I'm definitely going to omit high impact workouts during my ttotm week going forward and stick to low impact (or at least minimal impact at a moderate pace, not super fast where I can't watch my form) and moderate weights. Cathe's LIS workouts are good for me in this regard (except the gliding disc exercises are hard on my knees so I always modify those).

I really could have used her Travel Fit this week but I borrowed it to my sister! I just never learn! I thought I was safe borrowing that one since I hadn't used it in months and she seemed so sincere she wanted to try to get into exercise...but she hasn't touched it in the 2 months since she borrowed it! Meanwhile this week it would have been just the ticket! Gah!

I tried Toby's Max 30 this week, the cardio portion on the step and that was a mistake as the impact is very high, fast paced and there wasn't much of a warm up since it was only a 30 minute workout. I only made it 10 minutes in when my knees hurt. They were cracking and achy for 2 days from that. Now that I've made this connection I'll know better in the future!
Old 03-30-12, 09:51 PM  
bettyboopboop

Boo for not getting borrowed workouts back in a timely manner! Sounds like you have a good grip on what you need though. I'm trying to be patient and give the knees a rest, but am anxious to keep up my workout regime! I tried lunge pose earlier, and it didn't hurt, so hopefully am on the mend! I'm so glad you posted this....and today of all days! Right when I needed the information. Thanks!
Old 03-31-12, 04:26 PM  
DirtDiva

This is slightly off topic, but I know for a fact when I mountain bike right before my period I tend to crash more. My lines aren't as clean through technical areas and I'm much more likely to veer off.

I have noticed too...I can lift heavy till the cows come home, and high impact doesn't make my knees ache...but...ever since I decided I would try my best and learn *step* my right knee hurts. I think its because my feet are big (size 9.5) and I'm clumsy, so I'm rushing the moves and I'm stepping up too much on the ball of my foot as opposed to more of the heel.

Does anyone have problems with their knees and step? I'm not good at it and I can live without it, but just wondering too.
DirtDiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knee issues, knees, menstruation, ttom, ttotm