Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-12, 12:34 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Anyone else getting frustrated with the trend toward workout "systems"

Maybe it's just because I'm cheap and hate spending large chunks of money at one time but I'm getting frustrated by this trend lately. Even Jillian's on board!
I just hate the thought of plunking down so much money when I may only like some of the workouts, or maybe none of them. Plus they always insist on including frills I don't need like their "diet plans", just to help justify the cost. Give me good quality workouts I can buy individually any day! At least then, if I don't click with the workout I'm only out $15-20 versus upward of $120 or more! Sometimes, I think I'd like to have one of the workouts in a system but you usually can't buy them individually!

I do have STS but got two of the Meso's through trading (thank you again guys!). I bought RKS which I do like but haven't been using as often as I feel I should for the cost. I was interested in TurboFire but thankfully got one through trading and realized extremely quickly that it TOTALLY wasn't for me! Thank goodnes for trading because I almost spent a fortune on it and it would have been a waste! Now I keep looking at Tapout, Cardio Karate and Jillian's Body Revolution...but I know I would only like some of those! Why can't they just allow people to buy some of the dvd's separately?

Anyone else feel this way?
Old 03-26-12, 12:36 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I do. A lot of times, I only want a few of the workouts in the system. But we don't have the option to buy them individually. I also agree with you on the extras. How many tape measures do we need?
Old 03-26-12, 12:40 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I am. I have never bought a system (not that I've bought all that many) and liked all the workouts. Why should I waste money on workouts I don't want/like and the "extras" that give no real value. I prefer instructors like KCM who offer workouts that complement each other and who let you pick and choose what you want.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 12:41 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

YES!

Mostly because I just want the DVDs...don't care a fig about tape measurers (sorry), pencils, nutrition guides or rotation guides.
Old 03-26-12, 12:50 PM  
Cammie-Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti S. View Post
YES!

Mostly because I just want the DVDs...don't care a fig about tape measurers (sorry), pencils, nutrition guides or rotation guides.
Just give me the freakin' workouts!!!!

I'm not mad about it. This is how they make their money which is what this whole "fitness DVD systems with tape measures and diet plans and towels and pencil extras" is all about, despite what Jillian tells you about "I never get the guy or the girl bla bla bla..." I mean yeah there's that too the whole "let me help you reach your fitness goals" but when I see these infomercials I know there's always a company behind them trying to make money off of selling these DVD sets to home exercisers.

I usually don't cave on systems until I know that I'm going to use majority of the workouts, either based on reviews or clips because these things are NOT cheap. I've only bought four sets in my entire time as a vidot and that's the FIRM BSS2, which was money well spent because it started me on my home fitness journey, P90X, which I did use for about 40 days and got great results in that time before I wanted to move on, Skogg which I can't say I regret because he did help me ALOT with my kettlebell form in the first few months when I had no idea what I was doing, and now Tapout which I'm hoping I will also get good use out of.

I was tempted on Jillian for about 5 seconds before I came to my senses and remembered that I can't stand her, and I was tempted by Cardio Karate until Mary posted clips of that dank dark basement looking set and the workout that was all pull-up variations on the bar. I don't have one of those bars and even if I did I have NO desire to do a whole workout of pullups so that was the end of that. Was tempted by Les Mills pump but I have NO use for a barbell and as long as Beachbody insists on selling the DVDs with the barbell they won't be getting a dime out of me.

I think if you're thinking about caving on a system, just research as much as you can about it and also it helps to know what YOU like, so you can make an informed choice. I know it's difficult when everyone is raving about Jillian Michaels or Cardio Karate, but each person is different.

Last edited by Cammie-Cam; 03-26-12 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Because apparently I keep thinking of more to type... I've got issues.
Cammie-Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 12:52 PM  
EnglishIvy

Some of my best purchases ever were systems (P90X and STS). But I wish they wouldn't put all the stupid stuff in there because it's a waste of resources. The tape measures, over-sized packaging, booklets filled with hype--- not exactly earth friendly. It's all about justifying cost in the consumer's mind.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 01:00 PM  
weezy

I have never bought a "system" in my life. I have never even wanted to. The thought of doing a workout by the same instructor for 60-90 days does not sound very appealing to me. I like variety in my workouts. I like different instructors and I don't like anyone telling me what workout to do on what day. I and I alone make that decision.
But I do love watching any and all infomercials about said "systems". Still doesn't make me want them though.
weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 01:00 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I've bought some great (at least for me) systems and some duds. Loved CLX & Turbofire. Got good use from P90X & Peakfit. Was 'meh' about Slim Series and some others.

It's so hard to know if I'll click work a system. In the beginning it's pretty much a leap of faith.

While I'd love to just get the dvds minus the extra stuff, if it's something in my wheel house I'm usually all over it.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 01:02 PM  
Ann1964

Since P90x came out it seems everyone is on the 90 day or more system spree
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 01:02 PM  
caligurl

i wish they's leave out all the extra bull****, too! i've NEVER used the recipes or diet plan from any of the systems i've purchased! NEVER! i'm a picky eater and i already know how to eat in a healthy manner.... i don't need beachbody, tapout, jillian, or RKS to send me a diet to follow!

and ya... the bands, pencils, bookmarks, etc... don't need those either.... i have what i need... weights, bands (although i think i'll need more for tapout and apparently the one they include isn't very strong... so it will be useless!) the band jillian included wasn't strong enough....

just give us the dvd's and lower the price!
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote