Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-11, 04:52 PM  
ellenalesa

BL makes me wonder: boxing for weight loss? cardio?

For one thing, I'd want to make sure I wouldn't get hurt. I have no interest in hitting anyone or getting hit.

Anyone do this? Can you do it without sparring?

What does it do for you?
ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 06:30 PM  
Sissy B

I use my Wii to box. I love it.

I got the Gold's Gym Cardio Workout a couple of years ago - which is mainly Shape Boxing - and I lost 6# in the first few weeks of using the workout without changing my diet at all. I also noticed that my waistline was becoming more defined when I was playing this game regularly. I need to pull it out again.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 02:09 PM  
KathAL79

I'm surprised our resident boxer, RedPanda, hasn't dropped in!

The US version of What Not to Wear on TLC featured a woman boxer just this week. She lost IIRC something like 75 lbs. over the course of two years with boxing (crediting the discipline as much as the activity). The reason given for her need for a makeover was that she was running a women's boxing gym, with the focus on health and fitness as well as self-defense and self-esteem rather than strictly fighting. So gyms like that are out there.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 02:26 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I hope RedPanda does see this thread. If you want to do boxing for fun and weightloss, a lot of gyms have heavy bag classes. I went to them and they really get you sweaty!!!
Old 03-10-11, 02:38 PM  
Melody

I am interested- I have nothing to add -just posting so I can hear the replys
Old 03-10-11, 02:41 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody View Post
I am interested- I have nothing to add -just posting so I can hear the replys
Just an FYI...you don't have to post to see replies to a thread. Just go to "Thread Tools" at the top of the page and choose "Subscribe to This Thread"!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 09:33 PM  
Ctfitnut
VF Supporter

I go to and sometimes teach (sub for right now) a cardio kickbox fitness class against a standing bag (and have done it with partners as well). I have found that it is great cardio and toning workout. It has really toned up my back, shoulders and lower body. I go to a karate dojo where it is taught and where I am pursuing a black belt in kenpo karate. Yes anybody can do it, it is fun and intense (as intense as you make it if you are hitting the bag).

Yes you can do it without sparring - the people who take the cardio kickbox fitness class do not spar - they hit the standing bags unless they wish to partner up and even then it is not sparring - one person holds the pads while the other does the jabs, crosses, kicks, etc. and then they switch it up after a round on each side usually one minute. If you have the right partner, you both are getting a workout since the person holding the pads is usig the focus pad and "jabbing back".

I really enjoy these workouts since it mixes cardio and toning in one class and you can go at your own pace and level against the bag.
Old 03-10-11, 09:50 PM  
dela

Not sure where you live, but we have a bunch of CKO kickboxing locations in the NY/NJ area. It's a great class that incorporates punching and kicking with a hanging heavy bag mixed in with all sorts of boot camp style drills. I prefer when the class is more kicking and punching than the drills, my old location I loved, they had more instructors and focused on the kickboxing, but my newer one, I just wish they get more variety of instructors, the 2 main instructors seem to add in too much boot camp, but of course many people like that too.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 10:17 PM  
zumzum

I used to take a cardio kickboxing class when I was in grad school and I LOVED it. There was usually a cardio portion that was similar to turbo jam, and then we'd put on gloves and do punching/kicking combos on heavy bags. They had great music too! No sparring, but it also didn't have the emphasis on discipline that formal martial arts classes have. It was taught by two black-belt tae kwon do instructors--they taught us excellent form and also taught some street-level self defense moves (I've got a mean elbow thanks to them). Check the local martial arts studios--you'll probably find a couple being taught in your area.
zumzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-11, 12:27 AM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
I'm surprised our resident boxer, RedPanda, hasn't dropped in!
What? My little furry ears were burning!

ellenalesa - You can definitely take up boxing without actual sparring, although, as the others have suggested, it's a good idea to attend classes to get the form down, and for extra motivation.

If you prefer to work out at home, you can get a good cardio session just by shadowboxing, with or without weighted gloves. Work in front of a mirror and imagine that you are punching yourself in the head.

There are many DVDs which show you the correct form for punches - Michael Olajide's are good; he's a former boxing champion.

If you want to take it to a heavy bag, there are many good DVDs, although as others have said you can use a heavy bag with any boxing/kickboxing DVD.

At the moment, I'm loving Bas Rutten's MMA System with my heavy bag.

As for what it's done for me, when I started boxing classes, I had regained about 10 pounds which came off very quickly. Boxing has also given me obliques of steel, and a lot of upper back definition.

Tags
boxing