Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-21, 04:48 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Linda, thanks for the great review. I will consider it to purchase if I need shoulder work.

For the past week or so, I have been gathering items in the house to donate in an effort to downsize my possessions. After hitting my closets and book case I decided to look at my DVDs with a critical eye and previewed or tried the following:
Travis Elliot Yin Yoga. I got this and a few other discs in the Ultimate Yogi series in a trade ages ago. After about 2 minutes Travis' chatter was getting on my nerves so I Joni O'd it. On the trade pile
Essentrics Strength and Stretch in Motion. My notes said I tried one of the strength workouts in 2018 then again in 2019 (as part of this check in I believe) That workout was a thumbs down. I just did a bit of the other Strength workout and it was OK. I previewed the stretch workouts and thought it might be OK but decided to trade the set.
Essentrics Ultimate Stretch. I tried a few of the 15 minute sections with Miranda and I liked them. I also did a good part of Sahra's Muscle Release workout and liked that one so it's a keeper even thought I need to try the other workouts.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 09:04 AM  
fanofladyvols

lreidgreen are those essentrics part of a set? They sound like something I need to check out.

This week was Kristen McGee weight loss pilates. I feel like if Cathe did pilates, this would be what her dvd looked like. The dvd is chaptered and allows for just doing a the warmup and cooldown or the two flows separately without the intro. It has three premixes, Flows 1or 2 or entire workout with each premix having the same warmup cooldown. LOVE the usefulness of this workout. Most of the workout is in a large loft area but sometimes oddly cuts away to a rooftop setting. You'll only notice the set during the cardio, lol.

Flow#1 premix: I preferred this premix over Flow#2. Wonderful warmup and cooldown but not enough form pointers in the flow for a beginner. However, by the end of the 30 minutes I thought she was a smiling devil. Basically, the last set of reps in any exercise of whatever we were doing was a struggle! I liked her sequence, the different movement progressions, wasn't crazy about the cardio jump intervals, but did not like the number of reps.

Flow #2 premix. So while flow #1 was the She devil's assault on my abs , flow #2 was a floor work back and glute punisher. I could see someone not liking this if they had knee or wrist issues. I didn't care for the cardio segment in this segment.

I can't imagine doing the workout that combines both assaults, uh, I mean "flows" any time soon. A keeper for gauging my pilates fitness.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 09:35 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Linda, The two Essentrics Workouts are as titled. Strength and Stretch in Motion is a two disc set. The Ultimate Stretch Workouts is another two disc set. I am thinking of doing the Muscle Activation workout tomorrow morning. I am wondering if maybe it is at all strength oriented.
That Weight Loss Pilates workout sounds interesting. I think someone recently approached me about a trade for that. I need to go back and look at my messages.

Yesterday I did Linda Woolridge's Elongated Arms workout from her Upper Body Light and Heavy Series. It was fine but I liked the two pyramid workouts better. I still have the Weightless Ballet Arms workout to try in that series.
Old 04-29-21, 03:27 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
This week was Kristen McGee weight loss pilates.
I think this is the Acacia brand - I liked this workout and Kristen's other workouts.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-21, 07:57 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
I think this is the Acacia brand - I liked this workout and Kristen's other workouts.
Yes it is!
I didn't like the MTV workouts she did. Any of her other work you'd recommend?

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 04-29-21, 01:23 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
I can't imagine doing the workout that combines both assaults, uh, I mean "flows" any time soon. A keeper for gauging my pilates fitness.
Ha! I don't think I've heard anyone call a workout an "assault!" I am a beginner at pilates and your description alone makes me want to stay far away from this workout!
Old 04-29-21, 02:33 PM  
Hsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Ha! I don't think I've heard anyone call a workout an "assault!" I am a beginner at pilates and your description alone makes me want to stay far away from this workout!
I have these workouts and I like them but would say these workouts are advanced. I have never been able to do both flows at one time! The cardio portions are my least favorite. I'm really not sure why they were included.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-21, 03:09 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
wendy hah I'm sorry! I was having a silly time writing my review, huh? She has a different take on things and I love trying out different pilates instructors. You always learn something!

She has a beginner workout that I'd highly recommend. The DVD is well chaptered and you can design your workout. Plenty of copies available on eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsim View Post
I have these workouts and I like them but would say these workouts are advanced. I have never been able to do both flows at one time! The cardio portions are my least favorite. I'm really not sure why they were included.
Hsim I am relieved you agree. I feel better about possibly skipping the cardio whenever I try this again. Sometimes it's hard for me to gauge level because I'm not sure if I'm being a wimp haha!

And I will keep doing this DVD again...by golly, Ms. McGee, we'll BOTH be smiling soon!!

Old 05-03-21, 07:21 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I did the Muscle Activation workout in the Essentrics Ultimate Stretch set. Sahra leads this and it is very good. I wrote myself a note that the barre section at the end would make a good post walk stretch. The entire workout is more time than I typically want to spend on a post workout stretch but it would be good for a light workout day.

I will try the 15 minute workouts with Miranda next.
Old 05-08-21, 06:02 AM  
Kitten

Today was a new to me workout I acquired from share the wealth. Leslie Sansone's Sculpt & Burn.

Now, I don't have a walkblaster, so I used my step (it's a death box)on the low setting. Since I wanted this to be aerobic and not sculpting per se, I subbed basics when they did lunges and up and overs when they did squats. I did the upper body toning holding my #2 balls. I skipped her stretching, because I love Leslie, hate her stretching. I then got out another new to me workout.

The firm 5 day abs. I did day 5, with Jayne Poteet, since I already had my step out. It's short, 6 minutes, and very basic. The music crescendo at the end of the first set of crunches had me laughing out loud.

I really liked both these workouts. I see them staying on my shelf, where I keep the dvds I reach for most often.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shrinkwrap, tsha jacobson, virgin workouts, virgins