Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-13-21, 09:25 AM  
Daphne M

Aw, Pratima, that stinks. I'm sending you all kinds of thoughts for a smooth recovery. I wish you could skip work altogether and just grab a blanket and curl up with a good book or Netflix. Lets hope DH gets better soon too and both kids do okay. I'm sure your daughter is disappointed.

Vannie - take care of yourself this week! It's a tough anniversary.

Waves to Cleda!

Me - Woke up with one of those headaches that has the potential to either get really bad or to go away completely. Sometimes an easy workout and fresh air helps get rid of the headache, so:
- 2 mile run outdoors -- my magnolia tree smells so good that I wanted to just jog in place in my front yard but I did a neighborhood loop instead. Lots of neighbors out walking and running these days. Spring is here.
- 30 minute Peloton 80s ride with Denis -- I skipped the hard parts. I probably have my trainer tension too high because I could do standing climbs in the granny gears. I must have overcompensated for having the tension too light a couple of weeks ago.
- 25 minute Hydrow rowing - a 20 minute Breathe with Mac and a 5 minute cooldown with Michelle.

Headache lingered, so it's time for ibuprofen. Off I go. I'm going to try to do some yoga or stretching later today.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-21, 09:37 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne M View Post
Aw, Pratima, that stinks. I'm sending you all kinds of thoughts for a smooth recovery. I wish you could skip work altogether and just grab a blanket and curl up with a good book or Netflix. Lets hope DH gets better soon too and both kids do okay. I'm sure your daughter is disappointed.
Thanks Daphne, and everyone else. I did skip work Thursday and Friday and watched two Godzilla movies with DS! Also read a whole (bad) book and started another. I only worked a little yesterday and will work a little today. Fortunately my new job is very understanding!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-21, 11:14 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Vantreesta: Sending you virtual hugs during this tough week.

Pratima: I’m so sorry that virus made its way into your home. I hope everyone recovers quickly.

Daphne: Yep, activities are sprouting up everywhere! Most soccer leagues kicked off last weekend. Meg had a game in St. Marys, MD. Pretty out there, but LONG drive. All her away games are far this season, with Arlington being the closest, but it’s ok. We have fun in the car.

Me: Looks like I last checked in Sunday. It’s been another busy work week.

Monday: Mobility Rx warmup and workout 2, lower body strength, :30 Peloton ride with Ben, :20 Hydrow row with James. I definitely like Hydrow more when I put it on the big TV vs. my iPad. It all depends if I need to use my EarPods or not.

Tuesday: BodyPump, Hydrow Pilates in Garden of the Gods in Colorado—it’s one of my favorite places. Ran the 2.35-mile neighborhood route and took a long walk later on.

Wednesday: :30 minutes Peloton Pilates with Hannah C, PY4H Quickie, and :45 PowerZone ride with Denis, which was SO HARD! My legs are still burning.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-21, 01:58 PM  
Vantreesta

Thanks, everyone. I'm following everyone's advice and being easy with myself today.

I keep thinking that when Cleda inevitably gets her Hydrow I wish I was close to secretly abscond with her water rower!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-21, 03:41 PM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
Thanks Daphne, and everyone else. I did skip work Thursday and Friday and watched two Godzilla movies with DS!
Being sick is not fun, but the Godzilla marathon sounds like a good time to me.

Vannie - LOL on snagging Cleda's water rower.

Alison – A huge part of my love for Hydrow is the view of the athlete rowing in the breathtaking scenery. I recommend doing the Hydrow workouts on the biggest screen possible. It’s even worth plugging your phone into your TV with an HDMI cable if that’s an option.

Me - My left leg has been bothering me and needs some down time. (A little high hamstring, a little IT band, a little outer quad.) I might do our virtual RBR event this weekend just so I can then scale back and give my leg a break. I still haven’t done a training ride on my bike/trainer longer than 45 minutes and I figure it will take me 55 minutes to an hour to ride the 17 miles, so this could get interesting. Poor Norm will probably be stuck listening to me sing along to Peloton for an hour while I ride the bike with my earphones in.

Today's workouts:
1. 30-minute Sweat row with Laine on Lake Lanier that was gorgeous + 10 minutes warmup/cooldown. Laine kept rowing in and out of clouds of fog and the light was stunning.
2. 30 minute Peloton tread interval run with Andy + extra minutes at the end so I could hit 3 miles.
3. 15 minute Peloton UB strength workout with Ben. I like Ben, but I don't know why this was called upper body because it really was 60 percent shoulders and 40 percent arms. I substituted push-ups for a lot of the shoulder work.
For Alison – I made a list of a few of my favorite Hydrow workouts, if you're ever seeking inspiration. I don’t always remember why I liked these, but some of them I’ve even done twice and kept my “star” bookmark on, so there must be something special about them. I tend to like the ones that either have great scenery, music I can sing along to, good form pointers or just something that the athlete said or did that moved me.

WARMUPS - I have about 15 favorite warmups but for now I'll just recommend this one:
  • 5 minute Racing Warmup – Mike in Chattanooga. 11/23/20. Amazing wildlife encounter. Love this one.

DRIVES
  • 20 minute "4 of a Kind Row" - Nick, James, Dani, Laine on Lake Las Vegas on 4/10/21. The format is a blast.
  • 30 minute Miami Pop Row - Aquil in Miami Beach on 1/23/21. It's a bop and Aquil cracked me up on this one.
  • 30 minute Power Intervals Row - Mac in Miami Beach on 2/21/20.
  • 20 minute Bootcamp HIIT Row -- Laine in Miami Beach on 2/3/21.
  • 20 minute Imagine Dragons vs. Outkast HIIT Row - Nick in Miami Beach on 1/27/21.
  • 20 minute Every Minute on the Minute Row - Laine in Miami Beach on 12/30/20.
  • 20 minute Short HIIT Row - Sera Moon and Laine in Miami Beach on 11/27/19.
  • 15 minute Uncharted Territory Row - James and Dani in NYC on 5/30/19.
  • 15 minute London Pop Row - Nick and James in London on 10/16/19.
  • 15 minute Power Dance Row - Dani in Boston on 9/20/20.
  • 15 minute Born to Row - Nick in Miami Beach on 1/29/21.

BREATHES
  • 20 minute Sunrise Intervals Row - Laine in Miami Beach on 3/22/20. Beautiful.
  • 20 minute Country Pop Cardio Row - Mac in Miami Beach on 4/6/21. Just a laid back row and the country music is of the pop singalong variety.
  • 20 minute Alternative Rock Row - James in Miami Beach on 1/28/21. James has you try to do the same watts/speed at varying stroke rates.
  • 15 minute London Pop Row - Nick and James in London on 10/16/19.
  • 15 minute Naples Intervals Row - Laine and Nick in Naples on 1/31/20.
  • 10 minute No Pressure Row - Sera Moon in Miami Beach on 3/10/21. I can't remember why I bookmarked it -- it's either really good or I did it on a day where "no pressure' just resonated.
  • 10 minute Lake Lanier Steady Row -- James in Georgia on 2/5/21.
  • 10 minute Connect With Your Body Row- Aquil in Boston on 12/7/20.

SWEATS
10 minute Sunrise Climb Row - Nick in Miami Beach on 4/28/20. Dolphins!
45 minute Technical Climb Row - Nick in Boston on 9/17/19.
45 minute Imagine Dragons vs. Avicii row - Nick in Miami Beach on 5/1/20.
20 minute Inspired Connections Row -- Mike in Miami. I am a complete sucker for Mike, he's been through some things that resonate with me.
20 minute Misty Morning Cardio Row -- Aquil on Lake Winnepesaukee on 2/14/21. Excellent and beautiful scenery.
20 minute Wedding Songs Row - Mike in Chattanooga on 12/15/20.
15 minute Rhythm Builders Row - Mike in Miami Beach on 1/12/21.10 minute Clipper Stad Amsterdam Row - Nick and James in London on 11/12/19.

Don't sleep on the warmups and cooldowns! They often have outstanding technique lessons, plus my glutes and legs really need the cooldowns, they get so sore and tight. Also you can string a bunch of 5 minute warmups together and alternate with strength to make a fun circuit.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 04-17-21, 05:51 AM  
Daphne M

Today's the day. Why did I let you talk me into this, Vannie?!!!!!

As a warmup to leg 1 (2.5 mile run), I need to vacuum around my treadmill. It's a mess and I have a feeling I may need to lay down at that floor as soon as I finish leg 3.

Wish me luck. This will be fun, right? This will be fun.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 04-17-21, 07:24 AM  
Vantreesta

Go, Daphne!! Blaze that trail for the rest of us! I'm sure when I do mine it will take me half the day bc I'll have to keep taking bike breaks!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-21, 10:22 AM  
Daphne M

Thanks, Vannie. I tried to trail blaze for you, but it was more of a gentle char. But dang it feels good to have done this.

I did a creative warm-up: part vacuuming, part wiping down equipment, part walking on treadmill and stretching.

Leg 1 - 2.5 mile run
  • My time 25:13; pace 10:17/mile.
  • I did the whole run on the treadmill and used a Selena Samuela 30-minute Peloton run for inspiration. I ignored all of her pace cues and ran the first 3 minutes at the low end of my run pace, the next 19 minute at a steady high end of run and the final 3 minutes as fast as I could go.
  • I had a technical snafu at the 22 minute mark. I wanted to accelerate for the final push to the finish but I hit the "pause" button instead of the up arrow. That added to my time because the machine wouldn't re-start until it had completely stopped. So I got a little walk and hydration break right near the end.

Transition 1- I ate two peanut butter crackers, changed shoes, plugged phone into TV, turned on my wireless earphones and picked out a Peloton cycling workout. I also chatted with Norm about the grocery list, etc, LOL.

Leg 2 - 17 mile bike
  • My time - I pedaled on the bike for 1 hour 5 minutes. I had technical difficulties with my speed sensor at the 33:45 minute mark and had to guess speed/distance after that.
  • I picked a 60-minute Power Zone Ride with both Matt and Denis for company. My strategy on the bike was just to hold a steady 75% perceived exertion level for the whole ride. For me, that meant staying around a 70-75 RPM with just a few spin-ups and out-of-saddle climbs for an occasional change of pace. I didn't want my legs burned out for the row, plus I don't have a lot of cycling endurance built up yet.
  • Matt and Denis were entertaining. Bonus: Denis was wearing a sleeveless shirt and his arms are stunning. I never knew!
  • As mentioned, once again there were technical difficulties. At the 33:45 mark, I had to jump off my bike for about 3 seconds total to clear a text message from my phone screen so I could see the whole Peloton workout streaming from my phone to my TV. Unfortunately, my speed sensor decided not to start up again when I jumped back on the bike. Based on the first 33 minutes (9 miles) I ended up guessing that it would take me about 1 hour 3 minutes to ride the whole 17 miles. I ending up riding 1 hour 5 minutes just to be sure I hit the mark.

Transition 2
  • Two more peanut butter crackers
  • Changed shoes, changed gloves, wiped up the pool of sweat around my bike, stretched my aching glutes and climbed on the Hydrow.

Leg 3 - 2.5 mile bike (4023 meters)
  • Time: 20 minutes 15 seconds.
  • I got to 3973 meters on my 20 minute Hydrow row. I was busting my butt the whole way on this and really gave it my all, hoping I could hit 4023 before the workout ended, but I came up 50 meters short of the 4023 meter mark when the clock ran out. I kept rowing all-out for 6 strokes after the clock stopped, which should have gotten me well past the 4023 meter mark.
  • I used Sera Moon's 20 minute Race Prep: Power Row for inspiration, but didn't follow her cues too much. I just kept between 28 and 32 S/M the whole time. At the halfway mark, I was on track to finish with 4030 meters, but I got tired and had to ease up a bit for a 2nd wind. I pushed really hard in the final 5 minutes but just couldn't quite make it.

Post-race recovery
  • 5 minute technical cooldown row with James on Lake Pontchartain
  • 10-minute Peloton post-run floor stretch with Jess King.
  • And a Pillsbury cinnamon roll that Norm baked for me. Whee!

This was fun. I would never have gotten back to riding my bike if it weren't for this challenge and now I actually *almost* like it!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 04-17-21, 03:41 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Woo hoo Daphne!!!! Way to be our first finisher! You got me really looking forward to my turn, which I still need to figure out when that will be. Hope you’re feeling good now and can work on all that recovery,

Also Daphne, thanks for listing your favorite rows. That’s really helpful.

My workouts:
Thursday: Strength on my own then HIIT day. :15 Denis bike HIIT, :10 Aquil Rage Row (loved it!), :13 hurdles and box jumps, :8 boxing and kickboxing.

Friday: 10-mile hike along Bull Run. We started in the regional park where all the bluebells are in bloom and walked the trail along the water for a while. It was really nice. Then we tried a side trail back in the park, which was 100% mud and puddles, so we found a bailout route and made our way back to the car. Fun day though! Then I did Earth Body Yoga after, which felt heavenly

Saturday: Combo day with TRX, Gliding, BOSU, stability ball, and sandbag. Then Sam’s 60-minute rock ride. The 10 minute Meatloaf finisher about did me in. I’m not the biggest Meatloaf fan (neither the singer nor the food), but that ending was epic. I also did :10 Hydrow core with Pete, which was good.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-21, 11:04 AM  
Daphne M

Alison - I love that section of the trail that is covered in bluebells every April. So beautiful. A 10-mile hike followed by Earth Body yoga must have been a wonderful day. I need to find and bookmark your epic Sam ride that ended with the Meatloaf song -- even if 60 minutes on the bike is really long & hard for me, you've piqued my curiosity about the song.

Pratima - I hope you and your family are beginning to feel better. Let us know how you're all doing when you are up to it.

The M22 virtual "race" - I hope you all have fun when you do this. It was a joy to do an event that had zero pressure associated with it. I even got to pick my companions and musical accompaniment for it. (Run: Selena/Peloton; Bike: Matt and Denis/Peloton; Row: Sera Moon/Hydrow). I was not sore afterward but I was unexpectedly held hostage by a 30 minute nap on the couch later that day. (Alison - You might not be tired at all, since you've already got excellent bike endurance. Vannie - Take all the butt breaks you need!)

Workouts -
Saturday - Virtual M22 Run/Bike/Row event + cooldown row + stretch
Sunday - 30 minute walk at Occoquan Park + 30 minutes Hydrow rowing + 5 minutes Hydrow mobility. The rowing broke out like this: (1) Michelle's 5 minute Sam Smith Warmup in Jacksonville - this is my current favorite warmup. (2) Aquil's 10 minute Rage Row in Miami. Short, tough and enjoyable. (Alison's thumbs up inspired me to finally move it from my bookmark list to my checked-off list.) (3) Nick's 10 minute Quick Bursts Row on Lake Winnepesaukee, funny Nick + gorgeous scenery. (4) Calm Cooldown Row with Laine in New Orleans. The New Orleans rows are all on an industrial section of Lake Pontchartrain that unfortunately is plain ugly. Finally, I did a 5-minute post-row mobility workout with Peter that was good. I also spent about an hour trying to get my bike computer to work right. Sigh.
Today - 20 minute walk outside******** + 20 minute Peloton HIIT Ride with Bradley + 10 minute Hydrow technical warmup row with Nick from way back in 2019 (and it was very good). I feel so old sometimes when these song titles pop up on a Peloton ride. Today's eyebrow-raiser was called "Kick Out the Epic Motherf*cker." I mean, I sort of want to do that, but also, not.

*******The morning walk was the best. I've befriended a 6-month old golden retriever named Atticus. I am pretty much his stalker. He recognizes me from a couple hundred yards away and lays himself down on the sidewalk and refuses to move until I get close enough to pet him. Such a wiggle butt and a very good boi. I need my dose of doggie love, I'm really sad without my Nema.
Breast Cancer Survivor

Tags
endurance