Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-21, 11:42 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Squats and lunges are functional. You squat to pick things up. If something is stuck in a tight space, you may have to lunge to reach down for it. All that is a way of saying I think you should do them at least some of the time.

My suggestion is to distract yourself while you do them. Instead of following a video, put on some music you really like or even a TV show that makes you laugh. I agree that you don't have to do endless reps. A couple of sets of 10 to 12 is fine.
Old 04-15-21, 11:45 AM  
rhbrand

You squat to get on and off the toilet. That's something you'd probably rather not need help doing as you get older.
Old 04-15-21, 12:34 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I really like Kathy Smith's Functionally Fit: Lower Body Firming. You only have to do Workout #1, which is 11 minutes, and you can get a great workout with squats and lunges that is not too dread inducing because it's so short. I have that workout on Kathy Smith's Yoga Sculpt DVD (it is currently $11.98 on Amazon. Amazon also has the Kathy Smith - Functionally Fit - Lower Body Firming DVD but it is more money, currently $19.30 on Amazon.

My friend Cyana who is on this forum does squats and lunges while she is drying her hair! So that's one way to get them done.

I also think that Margaret Richard has excellent lower body floor work with a low dread factor.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 07:54 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

I'm definitely going to keep doing the lunges and squats as I know they're important. I was just complaining. Thanks for all the suggestions and for listening to me whine!!

I actually did Cathe's P30 lower body Pump today and it really wasn't that bad once I started. Of course my weights are not heavy like hers but I can only do what I an do...
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 07:59 PM  
fanofladyvols

Good for you, Annette!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 08:35 PM  
alisoncooks

I'm not a fan of squats and lunges, but I do love some floor work! Lately, in an effort to include more weight bearing lower body moves, I'm adding in loop band work (love!) and weighted step ups (love less). I'm also thinking of adding kettlebell deadlifts and swings.

But if I could just do floor work + upper body weights, that'd be awesome!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 09:42 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
What do you like to do for cardio? If you walk, run, cycle, rebound, or do other leg-intensive cardio, that plus floorwork may be plenty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I have found in the last year or so that I can't tolerate the endless reps/endless sets/endless exercises (Cathe and other instructors) use for lower body work.

I am doing "old school" workouts that usually have three sets of 10-12 reps per exercise. That really eliminates any dread factor for me.

If squats and lunges don't cause any joint issues for you, I'd recommend keeping them in the mix! You will thank yourself in the future.
I recommend walking/hiking up hills to strengthen legs. I got away from doing videos for a few reasons one of which was the endless squats and lunges. And I actually like them! So like Alta, I recommend doing a few sets of 10-12 reps or lower reps if you want to use heavier weights. Even just using body weight will increase strength in your legs. No need to do endless lower body moves but squats are an important functional move that you should try to work into your routine in some way.
Someone also mentioned using bands and I agree. I am loving using them for floor work and even squats, side walks, monster walks etc.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 11:34 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I do squats and lunges when they are a part of my workouts (e.g. any KCM or Kathy Smith that has it integrated into the flow of things) and I also enjoy Margaret Richard's lower body floorwork. But pretty every week without fail, I make sure I do the "Lower Body Fix" from Denise Beatty's Fitness Fix Intermediate DVD because it is the perfect blend of standing and floorwork exercises with minimal dread (I do howl a teeny bit) that a physical therapist would recommend highly too! My knees are much happier as a result
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-21, 10:57 AM  
cailleach

I, too, don't like lunges or squats. My knees complain but I do some just to be sure I can do it. As other mentioned, we squat to sit on the toilet. So it's important to be able to it. Doing less reps is a good idea and am off to research some of the names/DVDs mentioned.

Pre Covid, my sister and I were sharing a personal trainer; I was envious on how she was able to do walking lunges, touching knee to the floor. It was very obvious which body parts we prefer. I love doing upper body whereas my sister struggles with push-ups. Lunges no issue for her while it takes longer for me to just go down/up on a lunge.
cailleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-21, 02:40 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
don't despair. My knee gave out on me completely and I am stalling on a knee replacement. I have been doing lying down floor work and my legs are strong. like cut! I have better muscle definition than when I was doing the firm. I do it everyday and I am focused on form while doing it so-you can go this route and be confident that you will have strong legs!
DONNA!! We want to know your workout. I want to know what you're doing. I would love to turn the marshmallow fluff that are my upper thighs into cut muscles.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor work, lower body, lower body results, lower body workouts, squats