Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-16, 08:41 AM  
Ann1964

I am short and always cold
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-16, 08:56 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I'm tallish, not especially lean, and I feel the cold more now that I'm older. (Im in my mid-forties.) I love all the seasons, though, even winter. You just have to dress for it. My husband wears long underwear all winter long. I wear the fingerless gloves that have mittens you can pull over the fingers. They're ingenious! Mittens are warmer than gloves, but these combine the best of both. You can slip off the mitten part and have fingers free when you need them.

I also just bought a long down coat from lands end. It's like a duvet with sleeves. I love it so much! I just took a brisk walk in the cold and was so toasty, yet the chill on my cheeks was invigorating. Love winter! Love all the seasons! #weathergeek
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-16, 09:20 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

My husband is tall, slim and feels the winter cold much more than I do. It takes him a LONG time to warm up when he gets chilled. Of course he's the stubborn type who won't wear a hat. This morning it's in the 30s with high winds, and he walked out with an open-neck shirt and a coat with low-cut lapels (i.e. exposed neck skin). "But I'm taking a pair of gloves!" he says.

I'm moderately tall and not slim, but I have cold hands and feet even in the summer when the rest of me is sweaty. I guess it's poor circulation, but I feel like I get great circulation when I do a workout, and even then my feet stay cool.
Old 11-21-16, 10:16 AM  
dianestjohn

I'm moderately tall and about a size 14 and the cold does not bother me - in fact I feel too warm a fair amount of the time, especially at work. About 10 years ago I lost about 40 pounds and kept it off for about 2 years and was often super cold and felt like I could not warm up no matter what I did (and I live in California), so for me it's more about how much body fat I have since my height has not changed My mother-in-law, a New Englander and never tiny, used to say that New Englanders were bigger than Californians because they needed more fat to get through the winter
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-16, 11:48 AM  
BunnyHop

Apparently the heat on my side of the house is down, so last night I really got cold. Had to get up at two in the morning for hunting socks and an extra blanket.

Guess it's a menopause thing, because I didn't realize there was a problem til the middle of the night, LOL!

Dad's chilly though, so I'm glad the repair man is on the way.
Old 11-21-16, 01:32 PM  
mtnmom

I'm short and slender and I'm always cold. Cashmere sweaters are my friend. I buy them 2nd-hand to be able to afford them.

I vacation in Puerto Vallarta in the summer. It's too hot for anyone else but me and I have the entire place with no one but the locals.

A friend of mine battled with weight since her teens. She underwent surgery to remove part of her intestine as the weight was causing her debilitating back pain. She lost 80 pounds. One thing she commented on was when she had those extra 80 pounds, she was never cold and now she always is. Insulation, it was.
Old 11-21-16, 01:59 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I believe there might be some sort of hereditary issue here, too. My Mother, maternal Grandmother, and myself all had/have the tendency to be cold. We also all have lower blood pressure than most, and we bruise easily. Not sure if there is a medical issue or not. I haven't really checked into this. I am 5'5, 117 lb. This is just an observation on my part, nothing else.
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-16, 02:39 PM  
Alan

I don't think this is quite correct because the rate of heat dissipation from a body is going to be correlated with the surface area to volume ratio. The greater that ratio is for a given body the faster heat is going to be dissipated, making that person feel colder (all else being equal).

WARNING: HIGH SCHOOL MATH

Let's look at the example of a cube measuring 1 ft on each side. The surface area is 6 square ft and the volume is 1 cubic ft, so the ratio of surface area to volume of the cube is 6.

Now double the height. The new surface area is 10 square ft and the new volume 2 cubic ft, giving a SA to volume ratio of 5.

Finally, take a cube measuring 2 ft on each side. The SA is 24 square ft while the volume is 8 cubic ft. The SA to volume ratio for this cube is 3.

So we would expect the 1x1x1 cube to "feel" the coldest, followed by the taller one measuring 1x1x2. The last cube measuring 2x2x2 would feel the warmest. In other words, the order from coldest to warmest is: short and slim, tall and slim, tall and stout.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-16, 03:25 PM  
videofit

I've stocked up on leather gloves -- black, brown, gray, red, green and purple! Not fingerless though.
Old 11-21-16, 04:29 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Are you a hat person? If I'm cold I put on my fleece hat (like a beanie, but covers the tops of my ears) and I warm up fast. In the winter I wear it around the house when I'm going to be sitting a lot.