Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-12, 06:51 PM  
Cybersparkle

Are there different results from resistance bands vs light dumbells with high reps?

I got my first resistance band with my first Leslie workout 5 Really Big Miles. I didnt think I would feel any burn with bands and it turned out I actually did!

However, the band isnt used a lot in 5RBM and after some research I found
PowerFit with Stephanie Huckabee. It's modern, upbeat music, beginner to moderate, bright set and Stephanie seems nice.

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Powe...bee-p/1045.htm

I would like to know from any VFs out there that have used both bands and dumbells-

1) Are the results from bands different? Do bands give more flexibility? My ideal body tone look comes from Pilates instructors. I like the tight look, but muscles seems smoothed out, not bulky- I see this look mostly with Pilates people. Would the band give more Pilates like look or maybe there is no difference if you use light dumbells with a lot of reps? Do you have to do more reps with bands to equal dumbells?

I plan to try Suzanne Bowen's 10 minute solution pilates with band next if I like working with the band in PowerFit.

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/10-M...ILATES-p/5.htm

2) Does anyone know the strength of the pink band that came with Leslie's 5RBM? Do you measure bands like weights- like is the pink band the equivalent of 1 or 2 pounds?

3) What other band dvds (modern -at least 2003 & after), upbeat, faster paced music, beginner to moderate (or at least chaptered into manageable sections) with bright set would you recommend?

Thanks guys, any advice is appreciated
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 09:25 PM  
bfit

I've had good results with bands, but I have never used only bands. I also use weights - usually high reps with 5-7 pound hand weights, but occasionally slow and heavy with 8-10 pounds. I find that a mix of things is best for me. I feel like the bands do work the muscles in a different way than weights in part because you can't really use momentum to get through any of the moves and also because there seem to more isometric "squeezing" movements with bands. I'm not sure there's a way to convert different resistance bands into weight equivalents. I think that the pink band that comes with some of the Leslie workouts is pretty easy. The purple one that comes with Power Fit is a little harder. Unfortunately, I don't think there's really a band rating system, and you just have to try different ones to see what works for you. If a band is too easy you can often shorten up your grip to make it harder. As for workouts, Power Fit and Power Fit Harmony are definitely good, but the workouts are not very advanced. I also like the 10 Minute Solution band workout with Amy Bento and Cathe's Travel Fit. Both of those are chaptered. There's also Paul Katami's Band Camp which I'm embarrassed to say I bought a while ago and haven't had time to try.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 12:23 AM  
Cybersparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I've had good results with bands, but I have never used only bands. I also use weights - usually high reps with 5-7 pound hand weights, but occasionally slow and heavy with 8-10 pounds. I find that a mix of things is best for me. I feel like the bands do work the muscles in a different way than weights in part because you can't really use momentum to get through any of the moves and also because there seem to more isometric "squeezing" movements with bands. I'm not sure there's a way to convert different resistance bands into weight equivalents. I think that the pink band that comes with some of the Leslie workouts is pretty easy. The purple one that comes with Power Fit is a little harder. Unfortunately, I don't think there's really a band rating system, and you just have to try different ones to see what works for you. If a band is too easy you can often shorten up your grip to make it harder. As for workouts, Power Fit and Power Fit Harmony are definitely good, but the workouts are not very advanced. I also like the 10 Minute Solution band workout with Amy Bento and Cathe's Travel Fit. Both of those are chaptered. There's also Paul Katami's Band Camp which I'm embarrassed to say I bought a while ago and haven't had time to try.
Thank you for the feedback Good to know u got results. Even in the small amount of time I used them in 5RBM, I really felt the burn using the band. I will keep in mind to mix it up- that method works well for me too. I'm kinda excited about the bands- I had always felt that one day I would need to try diff equipment to stay motivated and not get bored. I'm looking forward to PowerFit.

I will def try out the 10 min solutions w/ Amy Bento- they look great! I can do Cathe in small portions- her stuff is too advanced for me. Katami's band camp looks good too.

Here are Collage links, so I will have all the info in one place once I'm ready to branch out.

Amy Bento
http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...d-reshape-9351

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...ble-zones-7837

Cathe
http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...avel-fit-5806#

Katami
http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...band-camp-5761

This one is with Jessica Smith

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...-blasters-5721
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 05:43 AM  
muddjeansgal

Since Travelfit is chaptered, I don't think it would be too hard for you. Just use a band and shorten the workout to fit your needs.
It really is a great workout. I think it is fun too.
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 06:40 AM  
topfitmama

Bands don't give you "down time", so your muscle is working all the time. I like band work for lower body work but generally prefer dumbells for upper body. I find I strain my shoulders a lot when I do upper body work with a band. It must be weakness...
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 08:36 AM  
beatchica

I use bodylastic bands along with www.liveexercise.com Toning show.

All workouts are free, full length and follow along and are aired live daily.

Bands basically work the muscles (like others have mentioned here) through both the eccentric and concentric movements. Thus you need less resistance and bands really build very even strength.
beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 12:14 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I love band workouts but just don't have enough of them. I recently did Cathe's Travel Fit and absolutely loved it! It was a good challenge for me. I like the looks of Amy's Tone Trouble Zones too. I think that might be on Mary's sales List. I also ordered Cathe's resistance bands because usually the ones Leslie or 10 minute solution provides don't offer enough resistance for me.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 12:48 PM  
cherimac

I got really good results once with a month of Powerfit and Powerfit Harmony. Used only the bands and made sure it was heavy and challenging enough. I think it was a nice change from my usual low weight/high rep workouts that shocked my muscles a bit. I didn't like Travel Fit for some reason but have heard really good things about Band Camp.

As far as body "look" a lot of that is genetics, IMO. Many pilates instructors are former dancers who are built that way. I'm built more like a gymnast and know I'll never be truly long and lean. Lean is possible, long just isn't.
Old 04-01-12, 12:54 PM  
steakhousegirl

I've used tubing for entire rotations and found them quite effective. Now in my P90X2 rotation I'm using tubing and weights. I can't do that many pullups so pulldowns using the tubing works great for me. I prefer tubing because you have a place to put your hands. I feel you get more control that way.

Insanity Grad
Turbo Fire Grad
S90 Grad
P90X2 Grad
steakhousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 01:06 PM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
I got really good results once with a month of Powerfit and Powerfit Harmony. Used only the bands and made sure it was heavy and challenging enough. I think it was a nice change from my usual low weight/high rep workouts that shocked my muscles a bit. I didn't like Travel Fit for some reason but have heard really good things about Band Camp.

As far as body "look" a lot of that is genetics, IMO. Many pilates instructors are former dancers who are built that way. I'm built more like a gymnast and know I'll never be truly long and lean. Lean is possible, long just isn't.
Agreed.

I switched over to bands and tubing in 2011 for my strength needs and only rarely now pick up dumbbells and that's if I want something "different" for a couple of weeks when I'd use some Firm workouts like The Wave. Like others have said, bands allow you to work both the positive and negative (lifting and releasing) of muscles so you get a double-burn almost; they never let your muscles really relax. I found that it also helped to improve strength in my weaker areas like shoulders and wrists as a result because it naturally takes the momentum out of the release, you can still use momentum, but it's vastly reduced. I purchased Cathe's/Altus brand bands and Fire Walker Bands and use those almost exclusively. I have found those to be the heaviest commercially sold bands that I can find easily. They far outweight the ones you get with Leslie and PowerFit. You can get super heavy silver and gold bands I believe from Thermaband or Dynaband, but usually those are sold to physical therapy offices, the silver and gold. Those are EXTREME and I never was able to muster the strength even with lower body to use those for even 3 reps.

I don't really pay attention to results anymore, that's not a goal I have these days. I can't comment on how many inches or pounds I've lost with bands vs weights bc my lifestyle in the past year is night-and-day different than when I used weights exclusively and made exercise my top priority. I will say that in addition to strengthening my weaker zones, I notice my core works more with bands. I've also been able to improve my balance, and my joints stopped hurting. It's the only type of strength training, other than using a Pilates Reformer, that doesn't flare my FMS. I can use things like The Firm Wave but I must keep the poundage lower or my system goes crazy and I'm sick for weeks. I think that's a HUGE result and benefit!!! You can build strength with bands and tubing, you just have to increase the tension either with grip or with a heavier band. You can purchase tubing up to Level 10, I own those too, and buy special handles that allow you to place more than one tube in the handle for additional "weighted" resistance. Level 10 is approx 110 pounds worth of resistance which I don't even use anymore bc like I said, I don't need it for my body.

Body Builders often train with bands a week before competitions because it quickly adds a "pumped" look to the muscle. They always travel with them and will use them just before hitting the stage. What type of body you get mainly depends on genetics followed by lifestyle including food. Bands won't mean getting that Pilates-Look. I've been using bands and I am far from the willowy look of pilates instructors and dancers.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eccentric weight training, high rep, high reps, light weights, resistance bands, resistance tubing