Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-12, 03:16 PM  
shelleyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish View Post
No, because I allow myself bites of chocolate like Hershey's Kisses - so I haven't gone cold turkey. I had a major sugar addiction going because I love to bake but now I don't crave regular sugar and most of it tastes too sweet. I couldn't have done it without the occasional piece of chocolate.

Regarding intuitive eating, I eat what I'm in the mood for, not what I think I'm supposed to have. So sometimes I eat all veggies or no veggies. I eat late at night sometimes. I eat only when I'm hungry and stop when I start to feel full. It's a relief to get away from calorie counting.
Wow, so you have lost your sweet tooth. How long did that take?
So with intuitive eating...great plan, btw, do you not weigh? When I weigh and am trying to lower the numbers on a scale, I find myself getting caught up in watching strictly what I eat (or trying to unsuccessfully) and not eating late at night even if I'm starving, etc. instead of eating when I'm hungry and what I'm hungry for KWIM?

Exercise should enhance your life! It should make you feel good & be fun, not drudgery or a beating.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive-to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." Marcus Aurelius
shelleyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 03:17 PM  
shelleyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRGWoman View Post
I this. Sometimes I feel like I am fighting my own body with what I am "supposed" to eat. How wonderful to honor what your body is telling you in the moment.
Ditto!!

I was going to add that intuitive eating (I like that) seems so reasonable. I have tried to make myself eat salads for lunches because I think I should, even though I hate to eat them at lunch (dumb, I know) instead of eating what sounds good to me (within reason). Yoga is on the same lines...listening to your body, so it all makes sense. Thanks Tish for starting us off on this. I'd still like to hear how you decided to make these changes.

Exercise should enhance your life! It should make you feel good & be fun, not drudgery or a beating.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive-to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." Marcus Aurelius
Old 03-20-12, 05:08 PM  
steakhousegirl

I did strictly Yoga for 5 months last year and I lost no strength. The only reason I stopped was that I always like change and P90X2 came out. I also slept really well!

Insanity Grad
Turbo Fire Grad
S90 Grad
P90X2 Grad
steakhousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 05:22 PM  
slysam

Interesting thread! I've been doing more yoga dvd workouts lately. I have occasionally taken yoga classes live, but was skeptical of yoga dvds for some reason. I've been really attracted to yoga lately as it makes me feel very refreshed and I have been wanting to work more on balance, flexibility and strength and it seems good for some of those goals.

Thanks Tish for your faves! To the others who experienced good fitness gains with all or mostly yoga, what are your favorites? Also what about cardio?

I probably won't go all yoga as I love variety anyway. But just curious.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 05:38 PM  
faith458

Tish, your post came at a great time! I just started working out again on Sunday after about 5 months. I started with Ellen dvds. I do 15 minutes of yoga in the morning. I tried a band workout yesterday because I thought I should add in more strength workouts. I feel better after the yoga workouts. Maybe I'll do a yoga dvd tomorrow afternoon instead of the band workout.

Steakhouse girl, I'm really happy that you slept better. I definitely need help sleeping.

Faith
faith458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 05:44 PM  
tigerbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysam View Post
Interesting thread! I've been doing more yoga dvd workouts lately. I have occasionally taken yoga classes live, but was skeptical of yoga dvds for some reason. I've been really attracted to yoga lately as it makes me feel very refreshed and I have been wanting to work more on balance, flexibility and strength and it seems good for some of those goals.

Thanks Tish for your faves! To the others who experienced good fitness gains with all or mostly yoga, what are your favorites? Also what about cardio?

I probably won't go all yoga as I love variety anyway. But just curious.
When I did strictly yoga I never bothered with cardio.

My favorites that I used during my 6 months were:

Tony Sanchez Yoga Challenge I (This was in HEAVY rotation for me. Started off very inflexible but by 3 month mark was able to do Standing Head to Knee pose)
Jimmy Barkan The Barkan Method
Joseph Le Page and Cheri Clampett Level One Yoga Class (gentle yoga that starts off in savasana - pure magic!)
Iswari Gonnot Heart Flow Vinyasa (Perfect Anusara practice!)
Molly Fox Skinny Jeans Yoga
Zyrka Landwijt Saraswati River Yoga Flow
Shiva Rea Yoga Sanctuary and Yoga Chant (audio)
Elizabeth McElveen Form, Grace, and Strength
Rebekkah LaDyne Calming Flow Yoga (Audio)
Rebekkah LaDyne Energizing Flow (Audio w/music by Snatam Kaur = lovely!)

This selection provided me a great mix of Bikram, Vinyasa Flow, Anusara, and gentle yoga. It also provided me with a great mix of endurance, long holds, and gentle/therapeutic yoga. I did what my body called for that day so it always felt right. Yoga time ranged anywhere from 35-85 minutes per day.
Old 03-20-12, 05:50 PM  
Tish

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyann View Post
Wow, so you have lost your sweet tooth. How long did that take?
So with intuitive eating...great plan, btw, do you not weigh? When I weigh and am trying to lower the numbers on a scale, I find myself getting caught up in watching strictly what I eat (or trying to unsuccessfully) and not eating late at night even if I'm starving, etc. instead of eating when I'm hungry and what I'm hungry for KWIM?
I'm not sure I'll ever lose the sweet tooth, lol! But having a bite of chocolate made it so I never really craved sugar. I was pretty strict for two weeks and then tasted a brownie and it just wasn't appetizing, which is pretty shocking for me!

I step on a scale about every 2 months, but I try to go by the fit of my clothes. What got me started with this is wanting freedom in my food. I've been calorie watching for years and found my weight creeping up a pound or two consistently for the past five years. Before that, I never counted a calorie and was fine. So I went back to that and have had more success than with all that diligence. The more rules I piled on, the worse my success. I used to do the salad thing too.
Old 03-20-12, 06:23 PM  
shelleyann

Oh I'm sooo right there with you! I was just telling my dh, the more I "watch" and 'try' to lose, the worse it gets. I truly believe in listening to what your body wants/needs and then I'll be happy and satisfied. Thanks for reminding me of this!

Old 03-20-12, 06:47 PM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish View Post
I usually do vinyasa type workouts without many sun salutations.
I saw your list of videos...would these be good vinyasa workouts without too many sun salutations? I love flowing yoga, but not endless sun sals.
Old 03-20-12, 07:55 PM  
faith458

I just ordered the Fit Body workout and the Skinny Jeans workout. I spend money when I start working out and reading this forum.

Faith
faith458 is offline   Reply With Quote