Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-20, 10:50 AM  
Hsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer P. View Post
If it's any comfort, I am 60 years old & work at a grocery store. I haven't gotten sick yet. We have been required to wear face masks here for a few months now, & the company supplies them or shields for the employees. Does your company at least supply face masks or hand sanitizer for its' workers? Do they plan on social distancing? If not, they are a bad company to work for, & they might be breaking some laws.

When this first started, we were crazy busy with customers stocking up on items, & there were no masks or anything. One day I was literally bagging groceries for 12 hours. All the employees were in the same boat & we all got overtime. It was a relief when the stores shortened their hours! Anyway, none of us got sick, so miracles do exist.

I used to hate going back to work after taking a weekend's vacation, but I decided that was not a good way to be, so I made a decision to not feel that way, & strangely it worked, I no longer dread going back to work.

I plan on working as long as I can, even though my job is pretty hard at times (I work from 12 am to 12:30 PM every Wednesday.) I can't see a way to afford to retire, plus, I still like my job. I will be happy when I can retire, though.

Whatever you decide, good luck. If you go back to work, be safe. Wear a mask, don't touch your face, practice social distancing, wash your hands frequently & use hand sanitizer if you can't wash your hands.
Thank you for the reassurance! Even though I will be retiring from my job I am sure that at some point when my husband retires and we move to Ca. we will both need to get some form of part time work to pay for health insurance until we both turn 65. I will only need it for a year or 2, he is only turning 59 this July. I am sure that we will probably get jobs that require some form of customer interaction.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 10:59 AM  
Hsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I know a lot of people (I'm talking about people in my real life) say to wait until full retirement age so you'll get the biggest SS distribution. But there is no guarantee you will live to full retirement age plus that's 5 years of SS checks that you aren't receiving. That could be $60,000, $80,000, $100,000 you didn't collect. I've read where you would have to live into your 80s to make up that lost income. Just something else to consider.
I've thought about this and decided to defer taking ss payments. I would like to wait as long as possible and hope my husband waits also. The reason I want to wait is this: I am thinking about that time in the future when there is only one of us. The survivor can take the higher benefit so it is better if at least one person waits till 70 and I will get there faster than him. If I wait till 70 and he waits till 67 it will be around the same time and we both can permanently call it quits.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 11:20 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsim View Post
I've thought about this and decided to defer taking ss payments. I would like to wait as long as possible and hope my husband waits also. The reason I want to wait is this: I am thinking about that time in the future when there is only one of us. The survivor can take the higher benefit so it is better if at least one person waits till 70 and I will get there faster than him. If I wait till 70 and he waits till 67 it will be around the same time and we both can permanently call it quits.
woo hoo! yay for you.

when you talk to HR, just find out how much continuing medical coverage might cost you if you kept it with your employer. they call it cobra, and whether you choose to continue or not, it's good to keep for comparison purposes. employers have more leverage in providing medical and might be able to give you and DH a good rate. i mentioned it in case you're unable to find a job that provides medical coverage. good to have as a back up plan. given the current situation, hard to tell what jobs might be available and what kinds of benefits might be offered.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 11:31 AM  
donnamp

I have to admit, the prospect of returning to the office on a regular basis has me wanting to retire! I'm not there age-wise yet - I'm only 52, and I have a DD who will be a senior in HS next year - so I know I have to keep going - and at least get her through college. But, ugh, the thought of going back to commuting and all that just makes me want to quit! I hope that my workplace allows for more telework on a regular basis as that does make working more bearable.

I would love to retire sometime between age 58 and 62. As others have said, I want to be young enough to enjoy it! And, yea, I know there are people who are in great shape and active into their 70's and 80's and if I happen to be one of those people -all the better - but I don't want to take any chances, LOL! I also don't have a desire or live a super extravagant lifestyle. A nice trip or two every year that would cover me. I mostly just want the FREE time and freedom. I can be quite happy doing local things, enjoying my yard, reading, taking more walks, maybe getting into a craft or hobby that I don't have time for now, etc.

Haven't really decided about SS - and when to take it - there are arguments on both sides for doing it early and doing it late.

For now, my workplace will allow me to buy health benefits at a reduced rate for myself and my DH when I retire - so that is a plus. My DH is older than me so he will hit Medicare age before me, so I that would be an even greater savings as I would then just have to cover myself and my DH's plan would then just be a supplemental plan.

I guess we'll see where it goes.....

But, the thought of getting back into the commuting rat race just makes me want to retire!!! (and move, MD is too expensive for retirees!). I wouldn't even necessarily mind working a PT job after retirement - something close to home....20 or so hours a week....

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 12:55 PM  
Scorpio6

I was forcibly retired at 62 bc of making a mistake due to being overloaded on the job. I was single-handedly doing the job of 3 ppl and they never gave me any help. I had absolutely no downtime to socialize with co-workers and it was very stressful. I was so glad when they canned me instead of giving me some help. Even our insurance company 401k vendor asked repeatedly why they didn't give me any help bc I was the only 401k administrator doing it all by my lonesome.

Those fools who underpaid me and then let me go found out it was too much of a workload for one person. It took them 2 yrs to finally parcel out my job duties to 3 ppl. Well, I was donig 3 ppl's jobs. Ha ha. They did not think that one through and it probably saved me from a stroke or heart attack.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 01:14 PM  
warriorprincess

I've been semi-retired for a couple of years, and the semi part ended with covid-19 since the company that contracts me is in the group event business.

If you and your DH make less than 65K a year, you can get insurance through the ACA at a huge discount, albeit with a large deductible. Mine pays for check-ups and prescriptions and I pay $250 a month, and the government pays the other $500. But as Murphy's law would have it, we just sold our property that's been on the market for years, and I will have to pay back the government subsidy.

How do you guys justify paying $1000 monthly for insurance? I am seriously considering canceling mine. I'm very healthy. And it's 4 more years before I can get medicare. I'm really tempted to take my chances. Four years of insurance at $9500 a year, with an $8000 deductible. I mean, there are a couple of illnesses that could cost more than that, but it's so much money on a maybe.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 01:31 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I'm 56 and planning to retire at 58. I read a lot of articles explaining how I need to wait until I'm as old as possible to retire because I'll have more money then (SS and savings). I don't think they understand that I want to retire because I don't want to work! And I want to be young enough and healthy enough to enjoy not working. My retirement won't be all travel and luxury, but I'll be able to hike (I live in Colorado), work out, read, and spend time with my husband (who's already retired) and my pets.
This lol! And I actually love what I do and who I work with. All my supervisors have been gems and my co-workers are full of knowledge and extremely helpful. But there is so.much.work. People are leaving my organization left and right because of the workload. Even people who are close to retirement and could stick it out for 3-4 more years are leaving to go work someplace else. Top management knows it's a problem, but I don't see any changes coming in the future. 59 is the earliest I can retire without penalty.

Fortunately, I married a military man, so health insurance won't be a problem for me. Although I may still keep my insurance upon retiring, just to have options. Sometimes Tricare is not the best.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 01:34 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post

How do you guys justify paying $1000 monthly for insurance? I am seriously considering canceling mine. I'm very healthy. And it's 4 more years before I can get medicare. I'm really tempted to take my chances. Four years of insurance at $9500 a year, with an $8000 deductible. I mean, there are a couple of illnesses that could cost more than that, but it's so much money on a maybe.

sorry to be Debbie downer but I would not risk going without health insurance. I had step-step brother who started a business, pretty young, healthy, decided to skip health insurance while he started his business. About a month after he started his business was diagnosed with brain cancer.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 01:38 PM  
Carol K

I am really hoping that the US will finally implement affordable universal health coverage like every other industrial democracy. No one should have to pay $1,000 a month, certainly not unemployed people.
Old 06-10-20, 01:44 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I was in health care and am very glad I retired over 6 years ago at 56. I haven’t looked back! Health insurance costs were not an issue for me as I live in Canada.
Just rub it in Americans faces lol! I'm just kidding. Seriously, our country has got to do better with this issue. Otherwise, we may all move to Canada when we retire.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career, career advice, coronavirus, covid-19, job application, retirement