Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-20, 01:28 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

This Zoom call, which came before the tweet, was even more blatantly racist: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...n-george-floyd

Like some of VF's favorite instructors, he and Crossfit have always leaned right-wing. I didn't know he was still with them; I thought his ex took over the company in their divorce. Well, he's not with them anymore and good riddance.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 01:31 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
This Zoom call, which came before the tweet, was even more blatantly racist: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...n-george-floyd

Like some of VF's favorite instructors, he and Crossfit have always leaned right-wing. I didn't know he was still with them; I thought his ex took over the company in their divorce. Well, he's not with them anymore and good riddance.
Not trying to start an argument or anything, buy being right-wing does not mean being racist. One has nothing to do with the other.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 01:41 PM  
bubbles76

Vantreesta beat me to it I'm pretty sure Sue didn't mean it that way though. Just fast typing. Thank you for the link. He definitely comes across as unprofessional and....just wow. He couldn't get away with that speech in my line of work, even on a Zoom call. Just.....wow. It's almost like he wanted to get fired lol!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 02:01 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Not trying to start an argument or anything, buy being right-wing does not mean being racist. One has nothing to do with the other.
That's not what I said at all. I was pointing out that Crossfit has always steered right-wing and marketed themselves as such. In their early days, they regularly posted links to Fox, Breitbart, etc. on their front page.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 06-10-20, 02:22 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
That's not what I said at all. I was pointing out that Crossfit has always steered right-wing and marketed themselves as such. In their early days, they regularly posted links to Fox, Breitbart, etc. on their front page.
Thanks, Sue. I think I just read it as a continuation of your thought rather than stating a separate observation. Thanks for explaining!

And thanks, bubbles!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-20, 08:13 AM  
wendug

Quote:

Wow! That Zoom call was awful. I'm glad the guy is gone!
Old 06-11-20, 10:02 AM  
rhbrand

He may be "gone" from leadership, but as I understand it, he still owns Crossfit so he's still getting money from it,
Old 06-11-20, 01:34 PM  
Taiga

I hope it all works out for the little guy---people who just want to work out and be peaceful.
Old 06-12-20, 05:20 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I was once a part of CrossFit.

Greg Glassman will lose money from the affiliate fees from gyms that decide to end their relationship. That is $3,000 from each. But there are thousands of affiliates, a few dropping out will not make much difference financially. But since he has stepped down, most will probably not end their affiliation.

Yes, the company will lose the revenue from the Reebok sponsorship.

But this move is not hurting Greg Glassman personally at all. CrossFit is his solely-owned private company. He settled with his wife several years ago (she was co-owner at the time.) He rakes in millions. He remains as the sole owner. Dave Castro, who was named CEO, is joined at the hip with him and has been, since CF started. Dave, I'm sure, will still be following GG's wishes. Or he'll be replaced ...
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 10:07 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I was once a part of CrossFit.

Greg Glassman will lose money from the affiliate fees from gyms that decide to end their relationship. That is $3,000 from each. But there are thousands of affiliates, a few dropping out will not make much difference financially. But since he has stepped down, most will probably not end their affiliation.

Yes, the company will lose the revenue from the Reebok sponsorship.

But this move is not hurting Greg Glassman personally at all. CrossFit is his solely-owned private company. He settled with his wife several years ago (she was co-owner at the time.) He rakes in millions. He remains as the sole owner. Dave Castro, who was named CEO, is joined at the hip with him and has been, since CF started. Dave, I'm sure, will still be following GG's wishes. Or he'll be replaced ...
I remember going to a couple of CF workouts with you and having a great time. The people who instructed them were helpful and seemed to know their stuff. I was willing to overlook the more toxic sides of their "culture" but they've gone too far this time. Hopefully the former CF affiliates can bounce back and keep going strong on their own terms.

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, crossfit