Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-20, 12:25 PM  
suzannaerin

Masks, Redux

We are transitioning back to work full time for the next seven weeks (one week on, one week self-isolating), and masks are required (if you refuse, there are consequences, thank God).

This week I've been wearing some of my Etsy masks when I'm in shared spaces, i.e., out of my office, and when others are speaking to me from my door way.

Does anyone have mask wearing tips to keep the mask in place? I've been having trouble with slippage, particularly when talking, and I can't find the sweet spot in adjusting the length of the ear elastic. Too tight and it pops off my ears (after giving me a serious Dumbo ear situation, haha). Too loose and it slides down my nose.

The first couple I bought from this Etsy artist were perfect but she is now putting longer ear elastics on (you can adjust them by tying a knot). I haven't tested the Thompson Tee ones in a "real world" situation yet, so hopefully those will be more secure.

I ordered a few of the Los Angeles Apparel strap around the head version, hopefully those will be successful.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 12:41 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Suzanne, I was able to tie the elastic on my LAA masks with no problem and for me (and DH) the fit has been great. Hope they work for you!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 03:16 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

You can get ear savers to extend elastics that are too long. I've seen them on Etsy. I don't know where else you might find them. If you wear headbands, you can also sew a couple of buttons on one of those to loop the elastic around. As cataddict said, you can tie the bands of the LAA masks, but I found that annoying.

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=ear%20savers
Old 05-28-20, 03:57 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

[QUOTE=ddj;2875660]You can get ear savers to extend elastics that are too long. I've seen them on Etsy. I don't know where else you might find them. If you wear headbands, you can also sew a couple of buttons on one of those to loop the elastic around. As cataddict said, you can tie the bands of the LAA masks, but I found that annoying.

LOL my DH says all the masks are annoying, and he has to wear one all day. He tolerates the LAA ones, although his co workers have said they look like bra cups. That comment doesn't bother him. He is very secure.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 05:26 PM  
Leonana

I ordered some plastic ear savers from Amazon, although some reviews said those slip down your head too. The ones that fit me the best are the medical paper masks. We had a couple of those that I used, and they stayed on really well. I wish the cloth ones worked as well.

If someone could invent the perfect mask, they'd make a fortune, lol.
Old 05-28-20, 08:16 PM  
firmaniac

I've been back fulltime for two weeks. I have to wear safety glasses and compression ear protection. The first week was fussy and stressful and hot! It all just became so *real*, so I resolved to take it one day at a time. I bought beautiful reversible cotton masks from my Mary Engelbreit group, and asked for long ties. Having to take it off for breaks and to drink water pulled out my hairstyle repeatedly. I switched to tying loops around each ear, but it does tend to stretch out as the day goes on. I also stopped wearing any makeup on my face as the heat builds up and I can feel my skin burning. I pull the mask up far enough so that glasses and safety glasses anchor and compress it over my nose. All this has to be undone so I can drink water frequently...

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 09:50 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i've been sewing the "Olson Mask" pattern for family members (link below), and it uses Goody or Scunci brand hair elastics* designed for "fine hair." the combination of the design and the hair elastics prevent it from slipping or needing to install pipe cleaner wire on the "nose bridge" side of the the mask.

https://www.unitypoint.org/cedarrapi...Mask%20V07.pdf

model wearing Olson mask:
https://www.accuquilt.com/go-olson-f...k-pattern.html

the above design allows you to insert a coffee filter for additional protection if you want.

*fine hair elastics (the thick ones have too much resistance and will not stay on your ears):
https://smile.amazon.com/Goody-Women...0720467&sr=8-4

you can try having someone replace the elastic with the hair elastics for a snugger fit, but have someone who can sew look at your mask first to see if it would work.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 11:06 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmaniac View Post
......... All this has to be undone so I can drink water frequently...
Would a straw work? I switched to a water bottle with a flexible straw and it is far more convenient when wearing my mask.
Old 05-29-20, 06:15 AM  
firmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
Would a straw work? I switched to a water bottle with a flexible straw and it is far more convenient when wearing my mask.
Thank you- I was i initially thinking 'straw', but became paranoid about germs & contaminationfrom the solvents and powders I work with. We are not allowed open containers in my area, so on a technicality I think a straw falls into that. I'm going to have to figure out a better way...all of us were worried about UTI and deyhdration issues ugh

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 10:30 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I have three of the LAA masks and tied the elastic successfully but I also loop the top strap under my hair and over my ears because it would slip either up or down.

Also after washing them several times I'm a little worried that the elastic is stiffening up and I'll either need to sew on replacement or get some different masks.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, face masks