Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-20, 08:18 PM  
Sollamyn

I don't really know if I'm spending more on food or not. I haven't really given it much consideration. I do know that I'm spending less on restaurant food because I haven't done any curbside pickups since the restaurant dine-in closed. I do know that I'm spending much less on gasoline and going out in general--no movies, no restaurants, no bars, no concerts, no plays. So--I guess I just don't care if I spend a little more on groceries or consumable household products right now. I've got, literally, nothing else to spend my money on.

Donna
Old 05-07-20, 09:50 PM  
BunnyHop

I definitely spent less for a while, I was honestly kind of afraid to go out and I think it affected my appetite.

Then I started making english muffins at home and started the number on the scale going back up.

Things are more normal for me now, and I think I'm FINALLY beginning to get the hang of cooking for one, but I'm still no expert. Sometimes a few missteps like that will wreck the budget in a hurry.

I'm definitely shopping the pantry more thoughtfully now.

When my dad was alive I'd go to the grocery just to get myself out of the house, and I don't think that did my budget any good, but since he had special dietary requirements it felt as though I didn't have the freedom to just get cheap. (i.e., what's cheaper, a good meal or a trip to the hospital because he gained fluid eating something with too much sodium?)

False economies aren't helpful, so I try to keep things in balance.

A few weeks ago I learned the hard way not to shop at the fancy grocery store, it was too tempting and too expensive.

I'm definitely in a get what you need and just go home mode.
Old 05-07-20, 11:19 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I definitely spend more on groceries, but that’s because we aren’t eating out at all. So in the long run I think I’m really spending less.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 04:27 AM  
ncl

I am spending a ton more. It is crazy. There are just 2 of us and usually pre-pandemic, we would eat out like once a week, so don't think that is it. I have been wondering if prices are higher as well.

Also my husband travels a lot usually but is out of work now so I buy more groceries when he is around. We are using up more of what we have as well. I am also trying to feed him more veggies (I eat a ton of veg) and fruits and he is being more mindful about getting those just for immune system boost. We are also trying more new recipes as my husband is doing a lot of the cooking since he is home and I am working but don't know how that would contribute really. A lot of our food bill is veggies. Our vegetable CSA is about to start for the season, and that is paid for for the season, so hopefully that will help cut down on cost! Insane!
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 09:44 AM  
tangerine

I've been shopping every 2 weeks so it's a big total at a time but I think overall we are down because I don't do the whole 'this looks interesting, I'll use it someday' buying and try to get in and out of stores quickly. I have heard that prices are up in supermarkets, I've mostly been going to Trader Joe's where I don't think they've raised them...

We used to eat out once a week, sometimes twice so that is basically zero right now.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 09:58 AM  
jusca

I've spent nearly 2-3x my normal grocery budget as a single person. I think it has to do with buying more basic staple ingredients I didn't have and buying more quantity to limit the trips to the store no more than 2x a month. I find I have to go nearly all organic to find everything I need, which doesn't bother me as I usual try to buy it but the cost goes up when it's organic meat. I've been able to go once a month. The milk, eggs and fresh vegetables go quickly.

short summary: yes. i once could eat on $80/month. Now it's $150.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 10:42 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Definitely spending much more. We're not buying more it's just that the prices are higher across the board. Shop Rite doesn't have many sales anymore, everything is top dollar.
I noticed a week or two into the shutdown that prices had increased by 10-20%!
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 01:13 PM  
Exercise Diva

Definitely spending more but I think it's in part because my DH is insisting on going to the market once a week and he doesn't seem to understand the concept of checking to see what we already have in the house before loading up. It got so bad that my freezer started spitting stuff out at me every time I opened it. I'm trying to wrestle control back over the shopping. On the other hand, we're not spending anything on going out to eat (which was a big budget item for us before), so all in all we're still spending less overall.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-20, 06:49 PM  
Calistro

Another one spending more.

I find that because I have to queue up for food a few times per week as by the time I get into the shop, some of the items are not in stock which makes me see things at other shops that I might not have bought as well as my usual's .

Normally I would have shopped online and stuck to my shopping list .

Also I have found that I am now starting to hoard up staples , which I never used to do, all because food keeps running out and I get fed up of queuing for food after work three times per week which takes up my evenings. It is such a horrible experience when I just want to put my feet up.

I have to do this though to have access to enough fruits and vegetables weekly.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 08:36 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Shopping

Has NEVER been one of my favorite things to do. EVER. But, I've always been a bulk shopper (and back in the day - a couponer as well). Stores are no longer accepting paper coupons. I check their websites for deals before I go.

I think we may be spending about the same. I'm not really sure. Only because I designate ONE day to shopping (and it does take all day) and I usually go to 3 or 4 stores. (BJs, Costco, Shop Rite, Weis) I figure If I'm gloved, masked up, I might as well do the whole kit n caboodle and then sanitize the stuff when I get home and then not worry about it for awhile. Start the 7-14 day self quarantine and make sure I have no symptoms. Sad. But true. I also do some shopping online (amazon and the like).

I only go every 3 weeks or so. I have a running list on the counter. I am frugal (aka cheap) and I have seen the prices going up. It is bizarre to me: The lines to get into stores (yesterday our local Walmart had a HUMANGOUS line to get in), the bare shelves (very grateful to be an American), the limits (which I totally understand), the prices going up. (will they come down? Highly doubt it).

I also vacuum seal food and have a big freezer. We are fine for awhile, but dh always says, "If you see it and we use it? Pick it up." I can't tell you how many times I've gone out for stuff we are running low on (Tide detergent, Dawn dish soap, navy beans?, sugar free jello, coffee filters) and the shelves are BARE. I think it has more to do with the supply chain and distribution then actual shortages (except for maybe - the meat).

I have to go soon. I am dreading it. I went to Target for a table last week (and figured since I was out - I'd take my list) and the shelves were soooo bare. Just such a weird phenomena ....

No more popping into the store for 1 or 2 things. Or - I'd like to make this recipe, let me run to the store for this or that. (Which in the long run saves me - cuz the one gallon of milk or the ingredient or 2 don't cost me $60 every other day!) I am now mostly using Pantry stuff and freezer stuff. I run out of fresh veggies, etc. about 2 weeks into the 3 weeks and limp along the last week till I can't stand it any more. (My lunch is usually a BIG salad, although lately I'm even switching all that up.)

So Sherry: I don't think it's your imagination. . .

This too will pass (at some point?) Hang in there.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19