Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-20, 12:28 PM  
sherry7899

Pat, Aldi is featuring gluten free items this month. That is great you have an organic market near you. The indoor produce market near us is horrible . I do not understand how they stay in business. Our local health food store has insanely high prices and the owner has a major attitude. I no longer shop there.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 12:29 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Definitely spending much more. We're not buying more it's just that the prices are higher across the board. Shop Rite doesn't have many sales anymore, everything is top dollar.
DH read an article somewhere that said this was an intentional tactic to discourage panic hoarding. I.e. something like canned tuna would not be put on sale because people would be more likely to stock up and buy larger than normal quantities.

Idk if that's accurate or not.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 01:22 PM  
Scorpio6

I have been ordering more from Oberweis Dairy that are not just dairy items, and we got started with Schwan's who I found out has wonderful, high quality fish plus other things. Also ordered a case of toilet paper at scalper's prices from a business supply locally, but glad to have our stash on the basement stairs landing.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 02:06 PM  
wendug

Yep. I'm definitely spending more money on food. Pre-pandemic I would shop at a couple different stores each week. I like Aldi, but I can't buy everything I need there! Now I go to one grocery store a week where I can buy everything I need and they have higher prices. Plus, my dh has been stress snacking like crazy!
Old 05-07-20, 02:10 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i shared this in our Declutter check-in - we have been spending less, and a lot of our food has been used rather than thrown away. i have also been using some canned goods sitting on the shelf!

being that we're home, even the kids are eating up the leftovers. during normal times, so much of our food gets pitched out.

We donated a box of canned goods to a pop-up elderly food pantry that they created when the pandemic started.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 03:49 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Yes, I have spent a lot more on food, using online shopping. I have not gone into any supermarkets since early March, and receive deliveries from Peapod every 2 weeks, and from Whole Foods, every once in a while. I also bought an extra refrigerator/freezer, so that I would not have to have deliveries as frequently. I have wanted to buy one for years, and this situation finally pushed me to do it.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 03:57 PM  
Leonana

Yes, I’m spending more. I’m trying to cut down, but then stocked up on meat. But now I’m trying to limit and stop buying so much.
Old 05-07-20, 04:25 PM  
ChelePA

Definitely spending more. Plus with my broken foot, I only use delivery services. Instacart can be very expensive with fees and tipping... plus they increase the prices of food when shopping online. I bought a yearly subscription to Shipt which is much more reasonable. Eight dollars per month plus a tip. Target, Weis and CVS use them locally. I was doing pick up at Giant, but more than half my order usually wasn't available and they don't substitute items. I wouldn't know until I picked up my order. So I prefer Shipt and Instacart because they are in constant contact with you while shopping.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 07:57 PM  
Sand

Yes! I noticed that when certain items are out of stock for a while, there is a markup in price when they are available.

I’ve been aiming at doing a weekly pickup order at Walmart and every time, there are a number of items out of stock. I ordered meat for this weeks order and all of it was out of stock.

I’m not a big meat eater but do eat a lot of eggs and legumes for protein. When eggs were impossible to find, I stopped eating eggs because my dad needs protein in every meal and I’m more flexible with my diet. With this meat shortage, I’m encouraging him to be flexible with legumes. My mom isn’t big on legumes but will eat the bulk of the dishes I make.

I also buy a lot of fresh produce and I’ve noticed that the prices have gone up on everything! I’ve been branching out on canned and frozen vegetables to build around my meals.
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 08:16 PM  
OSusanna

Likely but not by a terrible amount. I’ve been doing pickup with my Fred Meyer (Kroger to those outside the NW) since the beginning of April. I go every week. At first the appointments were hard to get but they aren’t anymore. There were times they didn’t have what I requested (like beer lol) and didn’t have a substitute so I’d go without. Because I was a dedicated Fred Meyer shopper before and used their app, my pickup orders were so easy because every time I searched for something they’d show me what I usually buy.

This type of shopping has enforced how important meal planning is to my routine and overall meal planning saves me money. Even after this I might continue because it really is good for my budget and my diet. Also, as others have mentioned I am also wasting less food.

I am looking forward to doing some more canning in the future but I will wait until things are a little safer to go to Costco to get my ingredients.
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19