Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-20, 06:02 PM  
Erica H.

I bought masks, but find I prefer my neck gaiters.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 06:27 PM  
CharM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exercise Diva View Post
I've been going to Thompson Tee for my masks - they're not necessarily "cute" but not unattractive either...
Thanks! I got 3 black.
I have two homemade ones using bandannas, and two from a neighbor on Nextdoor who's making them to give to whoever needs them. I didn't want to take advantage by asking for more, even though they're cute and well made.
For those who want to support local, see if tailors, dry cleaning, or sewing and alteration businesses near you are making them. There are quite a few shops here making them to give to nurses and selling them to everyone else ($5 or so) to pay for the materials.

eta: was going to order from reformation but they're OOS; waitlist only now.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 07:42 PM  
carly

Below is a link to Georgia Tech's rapid response website that contains evolving information on the construction of adequate consumer masks and face shields. Probably more information than most people want to dive into, but I see too many people walking around with inadequately constructed mask not to mention uninformed YouTube how to's.

This information will also educate you for your mask purchasing efforts.

Be safe.

https://pwp.gatech.edu/rapid-response/

https://pwp.gatech.edu/rapid-response/face-masks/
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 08:20 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauracat View Post
These are comfortable, have nose wires, and the elastics go all around your head:

https://losangelesapparel.net/produc...ck-cotton-mask
I have these as well, and just ordered three more!

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 09:18 AM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Do they have the nose wire? Do you feel like they slip down? Thanks!
They don't have a nose wire but they don't slip down at all. They stay right up over the nose bridge, and for me anyways, have been the most comfortable mask to wear.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 05:23 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauracat View Post
These are comfortable, have nose wires, and the elastics go all around your head:

https://losangelesapparel.net/produc...ck-cotton-mask
I got some of these, and they're the only ones my husband and son will wear because the straps go around the head rather than over the ear. My husband's co-workers said he looked as if he was wearing underwear on his face. He didn't appreciate that too much.
Old 05-07-20, 06:23 PM  
pgun3

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
These look good. Are you supposed to wash a face mask after each wear?
yes
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 06:39 PM  
carly

The band wrapping behind the ear can be painful. There are clips for sale on Amazon and Etsy that may help (or you could probably make your own).

https://www.etsy.com/market/mask_clips?ref=rlte_stm_6
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 07:48 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
I heard an ad for these on the radio and ordered a few recently. I haven’t received them yet. I used the code Howie20 to get 20% off (don’t know if it still works).
Yes, the code worked for me just now.

Donna
Old 05-13-20, 07:00 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Thumbs up

To those who recommended the Los Angeles Apparel face masks, Thank You!!!

Up until now I've been using 3 different types of face masks from 3 different etsy makers/sellers and there was only one that really worked okay for me so that's the main one I've been using, but it still wasn't 100% perfect in some ways. It had the elastic around the head (not the ears) and the bendy nose part but was a bit tight and cut into my face a little bit in some places and occasionally required readjusting (I admittedly have a big head).

The LA apparel ones fit me well though, very comfy (for a face mask), and minimal fogging of my glasses when I breathe out (though still some fogging).

Price was $30 for the 3 masks plus $5 shipping (and the shipping was pretty quick). The cost per mask is the same or cheaper than the ones I bought on etsy (not that I think the etsy sellers overcharged. In fact, I don't see how the homemade etsy sellers I purchased from can even be breaking even, let alone profiting from selling the masks they've made).

Anyways, thanks again to all who recommended them. I bought them on a whim (since I had already spent quite a bit on etsy masks for me and my mom), but the impulse buy based on the VF recommendation paid off.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, face masks, facial covering, mask, masks