Old 06-28-20, 06:40 PM  
Carol K

I watched it on CW.
Old 07-13-20, 03:54 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
But late to the Royal party, I am watching The Crown.

Mary
so DH and got thru all 3 seasons thus far of The Crown, and now eagerly wait for Season 4.

as we wait for that, any suggestions on historical series that are similar? i watched all of Downton Abbey back when it was still airing. i tried watching The Tudors (librarian recommended this) but it was too X-rated for me!

DH loves watching and reading historically-based movies such as Dunkirk, 1917, Darkest Hour (about Churchill).

i didn't like outlander. should i watch Victoria (the series), Poldark, or the rebooted Upstairs Downstairs?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-20, 06:18 AM  
Carol K

I recommend all three of the last series you mentioned. And for DH, you can stream Resistance from PBS Passport (you can set up a monthly donation for as little as $5 a month to your PBS affiliate and stream everything on PBS Passport for free). Many of the characters on Resistance are real people from history, some with their real names, others with fictional names; one of them is actually still alive at 95 years old.
Old 07-13-20, 06:31 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
so DH and got thru all 3 seasons thus far of The Crown, and now eagerly wait for Season 4.

as we wait for that, any suggestions on historical series that are similar? i watched all of Downton Abbey back when it was still airing. i tried watching The Tudors (librarian recommended this) but it was too X-rated for me!

DH loves watching and reading historically-based movies such as Dunkirk, 1917, Darkest Hour (about Churchill).

i didn't like outlander. should i watch Victoria (the series), Poldark, or the rebooted Upstairs Downstairs?
Yes to Victoria. We really like that show. I watched the first season of Poldark and may watch the second. It was better than okay, but not a love of mine.

On Netflix, I'd suggest The English Game. It's set in the 1870s when soccer/football in Great Britain was a sport for the wealthy. They are challenged by a working-class star and his upper-class counterpart and the show is about how they change the game. It's written by Julian Fellowes, the man behind Downton Abbey.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-20, 06:39 AM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
I recommend all three of the last series you mentioned. And for DH, you can stream Resistance from PBS Passport (you can set up a monthly donation for as little as $5 a month to your PBS affiliate and stream everything on PBS Passport for free). Many of the characters on Resistance are real people from history, some with their real names, others with fictional names; one of them is actually still alive at 95 years old.
Also, Masterpiece World on Fire.
Old 07-13-20, 06:57 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
Yes to Victoria. We really like that show. I watched the first season of Poldark and may watch the second. It was better than okay, but not a love of mine.

On Netflix, I'd suggest The English Game. It's set in the 1870s when soccer/football in Great Britain was a sport for the wealthy. They are challenged by a working-class star and his upper-class counterpart and the show is about how they change the game. It's written by Julian Fellowes, the man behind Downton Abbey.
Also really liked The English Game!
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-20, 10:09 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
That sounds really interesting!

I watched the first season of The Man in the High Castle over the past two weekends. It's creepy but interesting so far.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-20, 01:44 PM  
Terry

My husband and I agreed we can never tell anyone in real life that we binge-watched and loved Orphan Black. It was one where we missed the characters for a week or two once we finished the last episode.

If anybody had told me to watch a series full of violence including murder and torture, I would have said, "Never in a million years." I don't know how we got started on it in the first place, but once we were hooked, we were able to ignore the horror of violence because the violence we were seeing was fiction.

NOTE: Orphan Black also has plenty of sex scenes. We don't care about this the way we do about violence, but we just personally don't like to watch. I think we watched this on Amazon Prime instead of on Netflix, so the fast forwarding we did was slightly annoying. (Isn't Fast Forward Sex always annoying? )
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-20, 02:05 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I loved Orphan Black!

I just finished Quicksand on Netflix. Only 6 episodes and I think it could have been done a bit better, or gone to 8 episodes and given more information. I'm still a little confused about some details, but it was decent - and short.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-20, 02:08 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Also really liked The English Game!
Same here. It was one of the first series I watched when the pandemic started.

Tags
binge watch, binge-watching, coronavirus, covid-19, favorite tv shows, kanopy, off topic