Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-28-20, 05:54 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

What is best split routines or total body?

Right new I am looking to build muscle because I am weak after a long break from exercising.

I have done both split routines and total body workouts in the past month. The problem is I don't know what is best for building some muscle. I keep my reps in the 10 to 12 range, and I rest between sets.

What is the best way to go? Also any suggestions for workouts would be appreciated as long as they are straight up weight lifting.

I'm also weak on cardio and so far doing only mild cardio 2 to 3 times a week.
Old 06-28-20, 06:17 PM  
OSusanna

In my experience, for me full body routines have helped me with consistency when trying to build muscle. When I have done splits in the past, I have found that inadvertently missing a session messed up my rhythm. I found that 3 full body workouts would be the goal but if I only got 2 in that week I would be pleased with that. I should add that my weight training is mostly done using Margaret Richard workouts which are high rep low weight workouts.

If you are consistently hitting each muscle group the same number of times per week I would think that it wouldn’t matter if your session was a split or full body.
How well you are recovering may be the key to your decision. I tend to not recover well and I frequently am managing pain. Hence the high rep low weight workouts that I do.

Lastly, in all the Joyce Vedral books that I have read, she sets up her training programs in a variety of ways and encourages people to set it up the ways that work for them. So she maps out a plan for splits and one for full body. Both Joyce and Margaret advocate for one rest day before working a muscle group again for proper recovery.
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-20, 06:01 AM  
Tugger31

Split training for me is better when building strength b/c I can go heavier. I use total body for more endurance and maintenance b/c I can't go as heavy or if I start heavy then I end up going lighter towards the end of the workout b/c I"m tired. So I feel the body parts at the end get short changed. Plus split training workouts usually have more rest. Even if I haven't worked out in a while I will still start with split training and just use lighter weights and progress as I get stronger. Cathe is my go-to for strength training. I like the basics so her Pure Strength Series. I also split up the upper body parts in her Pyramid Upper Body. I also like Burn Sets for upper body. Gym Style is also good. I tend to use the shorter premixes when first starting back.

I too am on my quest for regaining strength. I started with STS. I did it a few years ago when I was much stronger, but just restarted it again using lighter weights. I'm enjoying it very much. The only puzzler for me is that she does pull ups in Mesocycle 1 when you ideally won't be at your strongest. I know there is someone doing an alternate band exercise which is the one I do, but that one thru me off when I first saw pull ups in the first workout! Even at my strongest I can't do a pull up lol!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-20, 12:14 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

what instructors do you own/prefer?

Leslie Sansone's Short Cuts UB and LB is a great split system - it's done seated, but you can do it standing.
Cathe's - 3 Day splits - Pure Strength, Gym Styles, Slow & Heavy; and Push pull is a 2-day split.
Kathy Smith's Secrets to a Great UB/LB or her Project You strength workouts are good for a 2-day split.
Joyce Vedral - no nonsense - majority of her workouts are 2-day splits. she demonstrates with light weights.
Karen Voight - her Lean Legs and Buns and Firm arms & abs can be used as a split.
KCM's Split Sessions is a 2-day split.
Gilad's Quick Fit system is really good - the weights disc is chaptered and can be used as a split, and he has 3, 30-min cardio discs in this set.
Cindy Whitmarsh's 10MS Target Toning can be used as a split system - it's chaptered and programmable.
Tom Holland's S90 can be adapted into a split routine since the discs are separated by body part. if you want short TB routines that are standalone, non-S90, his TB Workout and TB Workout II are good.
The Firm Super Body Sculpt by Stephanie Corley (Huckabee) yellow cover is chaptered and split by UB. LB and Abs.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-20, 07:39 AM  
buffmama

I think how much time you have to workout needs to be factored in. Full body workouts will take longer. Splits can be done effectively in less time. I would go with splits based on that since you're restarting. Consistency is key.
Old 06-30-20, 02:17 PM  
jcmclean

If you want to work out every day then use splits. If you work out every other day use full body. Sagi’s Body Beast is the ultimate 4-5 day split. For full body pick some push and pull compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench press, dips, rows etc. Do 3 sets. Stuart McRobert’s book “Build Muscle, Lose Fat, Look Great” goes into exhaustive detail.
Split routines build muscle. Full body builds strength.
jcmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-20, 05:09 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I moved away from 3 day splits long ago but like 2 day splits. I may do an upper/lower split once per week, then one total body workout per week and see what that does. I like total body but the shorter length of a split appeals to me more right now, especially because I am trying to do a lot of yoga and pilates right now also.

I used to do weights 3 days per week long ago, now for me I think hitting the muscles twice per week is sufficient.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-20, 09:19 PM  
bfit

I do a 5 day rotation - upper body, lower body, core, total body, and yoga/stretch. Then I start over. I take one day a week off. Sometimes I add a few abs to the non-core days.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-20, 11:29 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I do a 5 day rotation - upper body, lower body, core, total body, and yoga/stretch. Then I start over. I take one day a week off. Sometimes I add a few abs to the non-core days.
Bfit, that's my favorite rotation template!! I actually have my workouts organized by these categories.

Jane P. you also don't have to make every workout be weighted. You could choose to do only the total body day with weights ...and the split days could be done with bodyweight. You could choose to do the opposite of that as well.

When I was trying to build up my workout habit, I did the total body with weights and the splits were pilates focused on upper, lower body or core. Once you build your muscle awareness and endurance, it's so much easier to transition to all weighted workouts... if that's your goal.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-20, 10:18 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. The problem I have with total body workouts is that I don't have enough juice in my legs to do any cardio the next day, and I need to do cardio as well. I'm hoping to work up to doing total body with weights.

Tags
splits, splits vs tb, total body, total body vs splits, total body workouts