Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-29-20, 04:05 PM  
dianestjohn

Ong Namo Chant

I wish all kundalini teachers would do this the way RaviAna does - simple, short, direct, undramatic, to the point, and the same way every time. I've done a variety of kundalini workouts lately where the instructors really ham it up - the ONGGGGGGGG is really loud with that clarion sort of sound to the voice, and you have no idea how long they are going to hold any of the notes - the "namo" can go on and on and on, the "guru" can be glossed over or drawn out, etc. And in any one workout the instructor may vary the chant each time it is sung so for all 3 times back to back it's different! With RaviAna I immediately can get into the meditative state of the tune in, but with many other instructors I"m trying so hard to listen and follow along with their "performance" that it's distracting. It doesn't set me up in a good place for the workout LOL. I get that we're calling on the wisdom of the ages but it's possible to call quietly
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-20, 04:21 PM  
sherry7899

I agree! I had tried another kundalini instructor and was totally thrown off by the different timing.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-20, 07:41 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

These instructors are no doubt from the "kundalini yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan" school. Which Ravi came from, too, before he went his own way.

In my kundalini yoga teacher training class, all of our trainers chanted the Adi Mantra (ong namo guru dev namo) in the way you describe.

It has to do with the vibratory nature of chanting. Certain sounds create certain vibrations. Naad, it's called.

They aren't showing off or performing or doing the mantra incorrectly; just doing it the way they had been instructed.

Not all of the old-school teachers chant this mantra like that. Nirvair, for example, doesn't. On his videos, his Adi Mantra is very soft-spoken, as he is. Mine was too, when I was teaching.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-20, 08:41 AM  
dianestjohn

Thank you Betsy, I was hoping you would weigh in . It is interesting that that makes it more authentic and true to Yogi Bajan. I guess because RaviAna was my first experience with kundalini I got used to doing it in the softer maybe less vibrational way. I do try to mimic whatever instructor I’m using so hopefully will get the benefits even when I find it annoying
Old 06-30-20, 09:24 AM  
sherry7899

Ravi and Ana and Nirvair were my introductions to kundalini, so I am just so used to their timing. Thank you, Betsy!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-20, 02:26 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I really do understand how the very strong way that some instructors chant the Adi Mantra could be jarring. Especially if you're used to hearing it chanted more gently.

There is a mantra called "Long Ek Ong Kar" with these words:

Ek ong kar sat nam siri wahe guru

This has to be chanted in a specific manner, with VERY strong emphasis on certain words in the mantra. First time I heard it, I thought, yikes! But I got used to it.

We chanted it for 2.5 hours a couple of times during teacher training--no music, just our voices. One time (and this is really cool) the sound vibrations from our voices alone made the gong go off, as if it had been very lightly struck by a mallet. No one was seated anywhere near the gong, including the teachers, so no one had touched it. It was amazing and was a real example that sound vibrations are a thing. It's one of my nicest memories from the training class.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.

Last edited by eam531; 06-30-20 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typo
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-20, 02:43 PM  
dianestjohn

Wow Betsy that is super cool. You chanted for 2.5 hours????? Your spirit must be still all shined up from doing that :-) I have done the EECCKKK ong caaaaaaarrrrrrrr chant as well and I always follow that the exact way it's supposed to be done as best I can, but I kinda like it and it doesn't bother me the way the Ong Namo chant does. Maybe because the instructors usually explain the exact way the Ek Ong Car chant is to be done so I feel I am better prepared whereas with Ong Namo they just jump right in in whatever fashion each instructor likes to do it and I feel like I'm scrambling a bit.
Old 06-30-20, 03:42 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Wow, so impressive that the gong went off!!
Old 06-30-20, 04:37 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Amazing about the gong!!!

I love Ek Ong Kar. Once you get accustomed to the rhythm and note accents, there is such a flow of energy between the chakras.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chanting, kundalini, mantra, raviana