Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-05, 11:46 PM  
janetb
VF Supporter

Mindy's Strength Toolbox (CIA 2501) Review

I did the entire workout for the 1st time today. Here is my review!

Design: The total workout is 103 minutes. It’s divided into 3 sections—weights, tubing, and body weight. Each section is divided into 3, 10 minute sub-sections –lower body, upper body, and core. It’s designed so that you can customize your own workout by stringing several sections together, so you can make it an all lower body or all upper body workout, if you chose. There are no premixes or blender, so you would have to use your own dvd programming or navigate through the chapter menu. Each segment is well organized and while lots of variety is presented, the moves flow well together with smooth transitions.
Instructor: Mindy with 2 background exercisers, one showing easier modifications. Mindy is much less hyper with fewer wisecracks and less chattiness. She’s still very enthusiastic and motivating, and cues and instructs the workout very well.
Music: Very forgettable. I can’t remember a thing about it!
Warmup: It’s stretchy rather than cardio-ish, with body wave moves. It’s effective because the workout is not intense.
Dumbell Section: Mindy uses a club step set to 10 inches and one set of light dumbbells, though suggests we need to heavy up at home to feel the burn. I believe Cathe’s High Step or a BOSU would work well in place of the club step.
Lower body: Excellent series of squat/lunges combined with balance/coordination elements. With the step Mindy does rear lunges with knee lifts and glute extensions, one-legged deadlifts, uneven plie squats with heel raises, uneven squats with soccer kicks, stationary lunge (with rear heel elevated on step) with front foot toe lifts. Without the step, she does additional lunges with toe raises and balances.
Upper body: Basic strength training moves, nothing fancy. She includes back flies, one arm lat rows, chest flies. chest presses, pullovers, pushups, shoulder front and side raises, overhead presses, rotator L-flies, concentration bicep curls, one-arm overhead tricep extensions, and tricep dips.
Core: Includes various ab crunches, back extensions, planks, pushups and a very interesting bridge to arm balance move. I found it easier to use a soft weighted ball in place of a dumbbell, as the weight is sometimes held between the feet.
Band Section: For most exercises, Mindy uses a Spri Ultra-toner (figure 8 band). Mindy comes up with lots of unique and effective exercises for the upper and lower body using this band. You could substitute other rubber resistance products, but it would be very awkward as Mindy moves quickly from one variation to the next. I didn’t have the Ultra-toner, but made a makeshift one by tying 2 ankle bands together. It worked well, but I wouldn’t recommend this option because the knot caused one of my bands to snap as I was finishing this section.
Lower body: Ankle weight could be subbed for the Ultra-toner band but weights would work the muscles differently. There is a standing series of hamstring curls, rear extensions, and forward extensions; a side-lying series of inner and outer thigh work; and an all-fours series of donkey kicks. She uses a Spri Xercuff for a 1 minute drill with step squats, side lunges, and curtsey dips. The Xercuff is not necessary, a light ankle band (like the one used for TLP’s Core Cardio) or the Ultra-toner would work well enough.
Upper body: Lots of great execises using the band. Weights won’t work here, because Mindy changes the direction of the load vector by holding the band up at different positions and angles. She works the back with a series of standing moves, including a bow-and-arrow move and an overhead lat pull down. She wraps the band around her back for standing chest presses and then does push-ups from the floor with the band (extremely tough -- even Mindy drops to her knees for these pushups). There’s also some front/side shoulder raises, external shoulder rotation, bicep curls, tricep extensions.
Core: A lot of similar exercises to the weights core section, just using the band instead. The band didn’t really seem to do much to enhance the exercises; it seemed more of a nuisance than a useful tool here.
Body weight section: This is my favorite section of the 3 in this workout. It’s very yoga-inspired with a lot of moves adapted from yoga.
Lower body: Lots of standing balance and coordination work. There’s a warior 3 pose (while contracting and extending the arms and lifted leg), forward leg extension balance, and one legged squats and balances with leg abducted to the side. She mixes in a few squat jumps in between balance acts.
Upper body: All the moves are variations of yoga poses – downward dog, plank, low pushups, and cobra. She also repeats the bridge-to-arm balance move here. This segment is surprising tough and effective.
Core: This is the best of the 3 core segments. Some bicycle abs, pilates swimming, and a very long and tough plank series. The planks included some innovative new twists such as lifting one leg and-rotating it into tree pose and switching between elbow and arm extended planks.
Stretch: very thorough, with lots of yoga moves.

Overall: This workout is long but doable in it’s entirety because none of it is very intense. Unlike other Mindy strength workouts, there is very little cardio effect, with hardly any jumping. It’s more about targeting the muscles in isolation with weights or bands, or doing slow and controlled yoga moves. There is still a lot of tough challenging moves, but Strength Toolbox is probably more accessible to the intermediate exercisers than other Mindy workouts.

I found this workout enjoyable and effective. Lots of interesting variety and Mindy’s engaging personality made the time pass quickly. Each segment on it’s own didn’t seem to do much (since they are so short), but the cumulative effect of doing them all thoroughly cooked my muscles. However, it was overkill for the abs to do all 3 core sections. One core segment would be plenty since Mindy also challenges the core in the other sections with lots of balancing and pushups. I think this workout will feel even more effective when I figure out the right weights and band adjustments and get better at the balance moves.

Janet
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-05, 12:03 AM  
KickDancer

Thanks for the very thorough review, Janet! It sounds like the dumbbell section is more traditional strength-building than functional-fitness; would you agree with that assessment?
Old 03-25-05, 02:39 AM  
terribleterra
VF Supporter

Janet, would you remember the color of the band Mindy uses?
I don't have my video yet, and I was thinking of getting one of these bands anyways, and this workout might prompt me to do so. (Especially since you said dumbbells would not be good for this particular band section.)

I'm asking the color so maybe I can better gauge on what color I should get for myself!

To live in this world, you must be able to do three things: to love what is mortal; to hold it against your bones knowing your life depends on it; and when the time comes, to let go. ~ Mary Oliver
terribleterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-05, 02:47 AM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

Thanks Janet

I have all the cias on order from CK Sales - I think I will probably like this one. I love Mindy's other strength workouts, but find them majorly intense. I think I will enjoy the simplicity of this one!

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-05, 06:29 AM  
Deb

Thank you for the review.

Do you happen to remember who the background exercisers are?

Thanks.
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-05, 07:42 AM  
Dianeksu
VF Supporter

Band

I remember the Ultra Band as green. This is considered a light resistance according to the Spri website. I also noticed that Dicks Sporting Goods also shows this item.

I just previewed this dvd and was very much impressed. This is her best yet. I have traded everything else she has done but will use this as 30 minute add ons to cardio.
Old 03-25-05, 07:46 AM  
Sharon T
VF Supporter

Great review, Janet. Thanks.
Sharon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-05, 08:11 AM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Thank you, Janet, for the amount of time it must have taken to prepare this review. I feel like I have actually watched the workout since I have such a good idea of what it is about.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-05, 08:11 AM  
janetb
VF Supporter

I woke up with some major glute DOMs! Wasn't really expecting that! I think it was all the weighted lunges plus some kicking moves intensified by the bands.

Some replies:

Kickdancer: Yes, the weights are more traditional than functional strength.

terribleterra: Mindy uses the green band, but implies that its kind of light weight for her. I will probably get the red band.

Deb: Background exercisers were named Allison and Brooke. I did not recognize them from previous workouts.
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-05, 08:42 AM  
rykram

I wanted to thank you Janet for the review as well. I have previewed bits and pieces of it here and there and plan to do it this weekend. I really like Mindy and liked Awesome Strength, CIA 2301. I kind of miss her perkiness . I like the looks of this one and the fact that you still had DOMS without the use of heavy weights (I sometimes tire of having to drag out all the equpiment, i.e., barbell, heavier dumbells, etc.). Good review.

ETA: I kinda miss Carmen and the other girl from Awesome Strength. Mindy seemed to really have fun with them and they with her.
rykram is offline   Reply With Quote