Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-05, 12:13 PM  
juneaucat
VF Supporter

Want to try IMAX3 but knees are wary? Love Low Max? Then try this!

I was previewing many of the Hardcores today that I haven't done and looking through the detailed descriptions on Cathe's site. I found a gem in Hardcore Extreme of all places. Here is workout 2 on Hardcore Extreme:

High/Low Intervals (approx 73 min)

Lomax Warm Up
Lomax Step Combo #1(this includes the blast too)
Imax Interval 2(includes blast)
Imax Interval 3(this includes the blast too)
Lomax Step Combo #3(includes blast)
Imax Interval 6(this includes blast)
Imax Interval 7(this includes blast)
Lomax Step Combo #4 (this includes blast)
Imax Interval 10(this includes blast)
Kick Max Blast Challenge
Kick Max stretch

Here's what I did: I completed the workout through Low Max Combo #4 (I was getting tired and didn't feel like doing the Imax 10 blast but next time I will), then skipped the Kick Max challenge and went to stretch. The workout I did was 48 minutes, then 6-7 minutes of stretch. Had I done the Imax 10 interval, I think it would have been 51 min plus 6-7 min stretch.

This was such a perfect workout to me on so many levels. I was itching to try IMAX3 but scared of all the impact and I didn't feel like getting out the rebounder. I've already posted that I was bored and not that challenged by Low Max. Well, I upped my step height so the Low Max portions would be more challenging (for the most part, that helped). But it was really the back and forth concept that made it doable and fun. The IMAX intervals would stop and go to Low Max just when you're getting really winded. Then those Low Max intervals seem just right, like slow and extended recoveries, yet my HR stayed in my target zone. I felt like I got to do IMAX as intended, yet not so much that I killed my knees. I loved this combo and plan to do it a lot.

Really, a great DVD would have been IMAX3/Low Max and premixes made of both. Together, those vids are great compliments to each other.
Old 02-15-05, 12:41 PM  
Barb
VF Supporter

Wow! Thanks for the info, Kathy. I wasn't planning on using that dvd for a while, but now I think that I'll open it. That is a great workout combination!
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 12:41 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Kathy, thanks for the suggestion!
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 01:06 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Hi Kathy,

I thought of a low impact mix and match combination and previewed it yesterday.

Start with the Premix section 4-7 (minus the cool-down) on Low Max. Then do the warm-up and low impact kickboxing section in Kick Max. End your workout with the cool-down in either Low Max or Kick Max. It was really awesome on preview.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 01:10 PM  
momofcha

I have been looking forward to this one since it was announced. It's on the rotation at the end of the week!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 03:04 PM  
juneaucat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S.
Hi Kathy,

I thought of a low impact mix and match combination and previewed it yesterday.

Start with the Premix section 4-7 (minus the cool-down) on Low Max. Then do the warm-up and low impact kickboxing section in Kick Max. End your workout with the cool-down in either Low Max or Kick Max. It was really awesome on preview.
Ooooh, Debbie, I like that! I just spent the last hour going through several of the premixes to see what they specifically contain. I hadn't thought of putting those 2 workouts together but that would really work. Thanks!
Old 02-20-05, 12:16 PM  
Sharon T
VF Supporter

Kathy, I just did this HC premix skipping the kickbox challenge. I really liked it. I don't know if I would have ever discovered it if you hadn't posted, so thank you for that. Instead of dreading the next high impact interval, I looked forward to it. I can see getting a lot of use out of this
Sharon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 08:18 PM  
juneaucat
VF Supporter

It's funny you mentioned that Sharon. I've been doing a lot of previewing and re-previewing of the Hardcores (lots of fun BTW!). At first, I was not at all excited about IMAX3 or Kickmax, purely because of the impact. After a second look, plus a closer look at the chapter times, I've noticed what sections to just skip over and still get a great workout. That's actually a plus of these workouts being extra long. Like she mentioned on her site, you can skip the high impact blast section of Kickmax and still get an intense almost hour long workout.