Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-05, 06:48 PM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

The One Minute LowMax review

I won't break down this workout too much as it has been done before, but post my thoughts.

FYI, I am probably at an "intermediate" cardiovascular level (this may be advanced for some, but not all).

LowMax is approximately 68 minutes long and consists of a long warm up/step combination and seven low impact step intervals with seven "blasts"

LOW MAX STEP: The choreography is more complex than Cathe's recent outings - there is a bit of reverse work (eg a reverse mambo), so watch your footing. There is very little breakdown to finished product (good if Cathe/"advanced" step is your staple.

I did this on a 6 inch step and dropped out of my HR zone several times - if you are fit and used to Cathe's choreo, go for the 8 inches.

BLASTS: Pleasant surprise! These got my heart rate up and joy, oh, joy, they are excellent for hips,glutes and overall core stability. I really paid attention to my technique during all of the blast sections and I really felt it, particularly in the glutes and hips. I was really impressed by these. For most they are doable and modifiable, so go for it!

MUSIC ISSUES - Rejigged my DVD player and the DVD worked well (am having probs with IMAX3 and Kickmax still though)

OVERALL GRADE - A for the step section (I liked the complexity and freshness of Cathe's choreo), A+ for the blasts (lots of versality in these and you can work very hard).

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 07:04 PM  
kirstyscooby
VF Supporter

Thanks for this Liz. I am still waiting on my dvds and all the recent threads detailing the sound issues and 'low intensity' of low max have left me less than eager.

Thanks for restoring my enthusiasm, now they just have to hurry up and arrive! BTW what was your invoice#?
Old 02-14-05, 07:26 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Thanks, Liz. Based on just a preview, I gave this workout a HUGE thumbs-up.
I thought that Cathe proved that she could create a low impact workout without losing much intensity. This might end up being my favorite workout in this series.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 07:30 PM  
laurieb
VF Supporter

I did the Lowmax premix 1-4 this morning. I was nervous too because of the mixed reviews. I really like it but will but had to up my step height to 8 inches to get my heartrate above 140. I think the choreography is fun.
Old 02-14-05, 09:07 PM  
Barbara F
VF Supporter

I just did this workout today and I loved it . It killed me tho.

I am definitely intermediate cardiovascularly. I hardly ever do an hour cardio workout; I usually do circuit workouts, or add a timesaver cardio onto a weight workout, or just do a timesaver cardio section and call it a workout. The Gauntlet is easier for me to tolerate than IMAX2 because there are breaks between cardio sections.

So. . . I decided to do LowMax on an 8-inch step like Cathe does because others were saying that was necessary to get the heartrate up, and I wanted to make sure to get my heart rate up. But in the end I couldn't tell where my heartrate was compared to other workouts, I was suffering so much from an oxygen deficit . I remember thinking that I wasn't working hard enough to be breathing so hard (the deception of low impact?). I was breathing hard in the first section, and was just plain exhausted by the end. My legs are fried; I'm not sure if I'll be able to walk tomorrow. The workout really was too hard for me, but I did the whole thing anyway and it was really fun .

I really, really loved the workout; the choreography and music are great. I generally don't like most cardio workouts unless they have intricate dancy choreography, or else choreography that changes frequently -- but this choreography was really fun and went really well with the music. This will be a great workout for building up my aerobic endurance.
Old 02-15-05, 08:58 AM  
Sharon T
VF Supporter

I appreciate your reviews, Liz, even the 1 minute ones. I just finished Low Max and I really liked it. I don't know what my heartrate was, but felt pleasantly worked out in a cardio-legs way that is not duplicated in any other workouts I own. The music was much less a problem for me in this one than IMAX3. I agree that it earns an A from me.
Sharon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 11:12 AM  
jordan

Liz,

Thanks for this review. I like the choreography and the blasts are nice for the lower body.

jordan
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 11:15 AM  
fitnancy

Thanks for posting this Liz!
fitnancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 11:21 AM  
lapis
VF Supporter

How complex is the choreography -- is it dancy or more athletic. I am unfortunately the proud owner of "two left feet" and for the life of me cannot do complex step. I can handle Gin Miller in Intense Moves which is basic or Mindy, but then again, both Gin and Mindy are more into athletic choreography. I was thinking about purchasing LowMax (the thread about the number of calories burned, peaked my interest) however, I would hate to purchase this if the choreography was too much for me.

For all the other members of the "Two Left Feet Club" is this doable?
lapis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 01:54 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Lapis,

I think it's doable if you are familiar with Cathe's step. She 'recycled' her moves, but this time around (Low Max) she puts some turns in them. It's not hard -- if you are used to Cathe's staple.

I did this this morning. I was surprised on how low impact it is (hardly ANY impact), and my HR stayed on the low end of my aerobic range (I wasn't expecting anything higher). I think Cathe can do low impact! The blasts are leg work -- my quads are a little sore...
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote