Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-05, 07:55 AM  
Sharon T
VF Supporter

In January, They Are Everywhere

On Saturday, before the latest winter weather onslaught, I went to the nearest grocery store of any stature, 15 miles north of here. I proceeded to load my cart with nutritious vegetables and staples, avoiding those aisles given over to transfat in crinkly bags and other iniquitous attractions. There between the low salt canned goods, and the whole wheat pasta was a large display of dvds. As my fellow shoppers muttered about this inconvenience to their navigation, I noticed what was on the display.

Here were all the BSS3 add-ons, a selection of Stott pilates, some Methods, several Leslie Sansone, a Kathy Smith, a variety of Tae Bo, all four Trainer’s Edge, Kathy Kaehler’s newest, and George Forman’s walking tapes. Here, where I might reasonably expect not to encounter a retail exercise dvd in a forty mile radius, was a big old pile of temptation. And most were $9.99, just below my $10 impulse purchase limit.

I consider it entrapment, pure and simple. Only thus could those two dvds have found their place nestled between the romaine lettuce and lowfat milk. It is little consolation that this is a seasonal phenomenon, soon to be replaced with patio furniture. I have been led astray and the damage is done. I thought you, at least, would understand.
Sharon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-05, 08:12 AM  
kathy12
VF Supporter

Sharon, I totally understand. Same thing happened in my grocery store. I ended up buying Firm Power Yoga and Leslie's Walk and Jog .
kathy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-05, 09:12 AM  
Barb L
VF Supporter

What clever marketing!

What store was that, may I ask? Somebody in charge of marketing is on the ball for sure.
Old 01-24-05, 10:39 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L
What store was that, may I ask? Somebody in charge of marketing is on the ball for sure.
Yeah. What the grocery store loses in sales of expensive processed/frozen foods, they make up in exercise workout sales!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-05, 12:20 PM  
fanofladyvols

Sharon I understand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S.
Yeah. What the grocery store loses in sales of expensive processed/frozen foods, they make up in exercise workout sales!
You're right Laura. They'll have greater gross sales with someone paying $9 for a video than $3 for a bag of chips....

I actually went to Ross to buy something else when I saw a dvd for $4.99. I swear it jumped into my hands. I still don't know why I bought it.
I'm waiting for shame to kick in and return it...

Linda

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-05, 12:34 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

To Everything There Is a Season

This just happens to be "start an exercise program and go on a diet" season. Don't worry, this too shall pass, and besides, there's always next year.

We VFers know that all seasons are exercise seasons. Speaking of seasons, my favorite time of year to exercise is in the fall in the morning when there's just a little hint of crispness in the air.
Old 01-24-05, 12:37 PM  
tkoran

I wish my grocery store would get those. They have a large rack, but mostly of older workouts.
tkoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-05, 12:41 PM  
Mindi
VF Supporter

For you Midwesterners

The HyVee stores have a pretty large DVD/VHS selection of pretty much what Sharon listed, as well as health/fitness books too.

You'll find them near the Health food section in your store!
Old 01-24-05, 12:42 PM  
lwseymour

noticed this too

I noticed this over the weekend at my nearby Kroger. I couldn't believe it when I saw their exercise dvd's and vhs.

Well Kathy12, spill the beans, how did you like "Walk and Jog". Been thinking of getting that one.
lwseymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-05, 12:57 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P.
We VFers know that all seasons are exercise seasons. Speaking of seasons, my favorite time of year to exercise is in the fall in the morning when there's just a little hint of crispness in the air.
My favorite time too Jane P.

As for this season passing, hopefully it doesn't go away without VF getting some new people to join us in our vidiocy!! Linda

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote