Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-19, 06:16 PM  
acey

Working out after long hiatus due to illness

Hi all,

I posted a while back about having a blood sepsis infection that hospitalized me in January and having a PICC line for five weeks thereafter.

Well, a couple of days after the PICC line came out, I did a couple of workouts - Bodies in Motion episodes.

Unfortunately, two weeks later, I ended up back in the hospital. The bacteria had not completely disappeared. It manifested as severe, excruciating pain in my left shoulder..

Now three weeks after that, I just did my first workout today. Just 20 minutes - Kathy Smith's circuit workout from Total Body Turnaround. My shoulder is STILL sore, but I just limited the motion there and concentrated on my overall body.

What's really weird? I lost about 25 lbs during this time. Much of it was muscle, I'm sure, but I actually have a waistline and overall am not unhappy with it. Of course, my appetite was almost zero since I wasn't working out. That old adage - you get terribly ill, and everyone compliments you afterward. Sigh.

It is really strange feeling like a 20-minute easy workout was a slog to get through, after being an advanced exerciser for 18 years.

How long do you guys think it will take to get back up to speed? About the same time as I was on hiatus - 4 months -- or more?
Old 04-24-19, 06:39 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

glad to hear you are recovering!

I was hospitalized several years ago, including surgery for a life-threatening illness. I have to say that my fit condition "pre-injury" saved my life, honestly, and God's grace. my injury was different than yours, no pain in the limbs or joints. doctor said to start out with walking outside with DH, 30 min for several weeks.

I resumed doing weights maybe 2-3 months later. I was getting a lot of rest. I went back to work half-time for about a month, then did 8 hour days after that. I kept listening to my body as much as possible. be patient with yourself. I developed a skill during this time - meditation. it aided in my physical and mental recovery.

PM me if you have any questions.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 12:14 AM  
hypnomoon

It's great to hear that you are back to wanting to and feeling well enough to ease into working out.

Currently, my SIL is fighting for her life with sepsis. She has been in ICU for 2 weeks today. She's on life support as they try to figure out which antibiotic will work and why her kidneys won't work. She's been sedated all this time to help with the stress on her body. She's also on dialysis 24/7. We are praying for a magnificent turn around.
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 12:32 AM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

Hi Acey,

I think I shared my post surgical experiences with you on the other thread but as for your question here, it took me about 6 weeks to get back into something more intermediate and I did that with a modified Cathe Lite/ICE rotation. By week 4 of that rotation I was feeling pretty strong again! So by 2.5 months I was close to where I started which is intermediate/advanced intermediate. This was after 3 medical procedures in 7 weeks - 2 surgeries under general anesthesia and one under local. Plus two delightful trips to the ER with infections and dehydration. You got this! Glad you’re on the mend. After each workout I feel so grateful for what I can do.

Hypnomoon — so sorry about your SIL . Hope she takes a positive turn!
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 11:36 AM  
acey

Update: Well, this morning, my shoulder hurt pretty bad, so maybe working out wasn't a great idea (at least, maybe not the light weight work). Going to doc today to see where I am with the bacteria that just. won't. go away.

But geez, hypnomoon, sorry to hear about your SIL - wow, I guess I was lucky. I hope she pulls through!!

I too can't help but feel that 18 years of working out helped me get through this somehow. So grateful I discovered workout videos and VF!
Old 04-25-19, 11:41 AM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Acey, best wishes for your recovery. I remember doing a Pure Barre DVD after I thought I was recovered from surgery and thinking the workout was really long and wondering how much more there was to go; then Carrie said "we're almost through the warmup."

Mari Winsor's Pink Ribbon Pilates has a chapter, Road to Recovery, which was designed to ease people back into exercise. There's also Karen Voight's Ease into Fitness.
monterey vidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 03:17 PM  
DCW

Hynomoon,

Friend's husband same situation last fall. He gets stronger everyday. Prayers for everyone.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illness, restarting