Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-17, 12:46 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Flu Shots: Yay, Nay or Maybe...

I always get the flu shot. We got ours the other day. (At my advanced age, they are now free. )

I haven't had the flu in so long I can't even remember.

My SIL refuses to get a flu shot.

What is your opinion?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 12:50 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i'm like you - i get it all the time, and remind everyone in my household to get it too since our medical plan covers it.

if people are immune to getting flu, and their experience backs up that claim, then i guess they're fine without it. but if they're constantly getting sick and infecting others, then they need to re-think that decision.

i also do a lot of other immune-boosting behaviors. such as wash my hands all the time (my mom was an RN), get rest, exercise, eat disease-fighting foods, meditate, and stay engaged socially. i am also careful to avoid touching my nose, mouth and eyes with my bare hands.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 12:52 PM  
Boots

I am on the fence about this. I am 43 years old and have never gotten a flu shot. The last time I had the flu was in middle school. I hear stories like yours about people getting the flu shot every year and never getting sick. Then I hear about other people who get the shot and get sick anyway. I don't know what to do!
Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 12:53 PM  
Genevieve M

Tough call. I had a great aunt, who lived to be 99 years and 8 months, who never had a flu shot. My brother, who never gets sick, also doens't get one.

Me, on the other hand, I always get one. I have gotten the flu once that was so bad, I really thought I was minutes from dying.

Some folks think a flu shot will make you more susceptable to the current year's strain, while others think it won't do any good, because it is take from a previous year's strain.

Any doctors, nurses, PA's, chemists, or other medical professionals want to weigh in?
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 12:55 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

The theory is that if you have been vaccinated, even if you get the flu, the symptoms won't be as severe.

Here is info from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/index.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/acip/index.htm

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 12:59 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Oboy, grab the popcorn...

I always get the shot and so do my girls.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 01:04 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I don't get one. I've never had a flu in my life. I rarely even catch a cold. Hope this trend continues.
Old 09-24-17, 01:11 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I have psoriatic arthritis, an auto-immune disease, so I have had a flu shot since I was in my 20s. (I'm in my mid 50s now.) It is interesting because it used to be just for older people and people with an auto-immune disease. There were multiple years when I had to fight to get one because the medical person would look at me in my 20s and say I didn't need it. More than once, I had to fight my way to the doctor to make my case for it. Now, they want everyone to have it - and I do. My rheumatologist and GP are both adamant that I have to have it given my health issues with my wonky immune system. With my system, if I start to get a minor cold, it immediately goes to an upper respiratory infection. So, if I can avoid the flu, I will do what I need to do it.

I'm jealous of those who can take it or leave it...

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 01:28 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I have never had the flu in my life, but started getting the shot ten years ago. My mom was going through chemo, my dad and I were looking after her, and I didn't want to run the risk of getting sick and either passing it on to her, or taking myself out of the caretaking rotation. Out of habit, I get one now.

DH almost never gets the shot, and gets the flu maybe two winters out of three. I...don't understand his reluctance.
Old 09-24-17, 01:34 PM  
Vantreesta

I always adamantly refused to get one. Last year I started seeing a new doctor who scared me into getting one by telling me of a 40 smthg fireman who died from influenza (I'm 41). I got it and had horrible migraines for a full week. I said not again. I was in this week and declined when she asked if I wanted one. She again said she strongly recommends everyone get one and that they really have no other way to fight it and Tamiflu is very limited in its ability to help. I told her about the migraines from the vaccine and she said well we can give you meds for those. I don't want meds to deal with a vaccine! I get one cold about every other year, despite my hubby getting sick a couple times a year. But I do worry about carrying it to my 80yo friend who's on full time oxygen.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flu shot, guillain-barre, mercury, shingles vaccination, thimerisol