Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-16, 08:45 AM  
PennyK

Breathwork in Yoga? Cautions and Benefits?

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 09:04 AM  
Demeris

Years ago, like almost 20 years ago, I was mostly swimming, but one morning, after my swim at the gym where I was a member, I took a kundalini yoga class. We did lots of breathe work.

I was angry the whole day long. I had no patience for anyone or anything. In fact, I caused problems at work that day that took years to resolve.

I also had more energy than I had ever had in my whole life.

The next time the kundalini yoga class was offered, I went early and asked the yoga teacher about that. She told me it was the breath work, and the next time I took her class, remind her so she could help me use the breath differently.

I never took her class again, although I did use Ravi/Ana and that guy who's so mellow and sweet who was on Alaskan educational tv and I can't remember his name. I never got the angry, impatient energy again.

Ultimately, I gave up KY and all other kinds of yoga for my knee/back health.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 09:10 AM  
mlroman

I'm very interested in this, because I also have asthma and allergies. I've recently become interested in doing some yoga, but huff and puff my way through even the easiest. I tell myself (and hope that I'm right) that as I keep practicing the poses and they become easier, I'll have more control. I'm sure eventually I would have come up with practicing breathwork on its own, so good I know if there's anything I should avoid! Subscribing to hear the discussion.

Still just bein' a mel...
mlroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 09:44 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Penny do you know what kind of breathwork had those cautions? I think if you stick with ujayii breath or simply breath slowly and mindfully, you should be fine. Kundalini breath of fire aggravates some people as others have noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlroman View Post
I'm very interested in this, because I also have asthma and allergies. I've recently become interested in doing some yoga, but huff and puff my way through even the easiest. I tell myself (and hope that I'm right) that as I keep practicing the poses and they become easier, I'll have more control. I'm sure eventually I would have come up with practicing breathwork on its own, so good I know if there's anything I should avoid! Subscribing to hear the discussion.
You will get better at coordinating breath with movement with practice. Remember, it's a yoga practice, not a yoga perfect. When you feel yourself holding your breath out of effort, bring yourself back to even, deep breathing.

A good way to get in tune with the breathing is to do a separate pranayama practice in which you focus on yogic breathing while the body is still. There are lots of free offerings and tutorials on Youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I never took her class again, although I did use Ravi/Ana and that guy who's so mellow and sweet who was on Alaskan educational tv and I can't remember his name. I never got the angry, impatient energy again.
Nirvair http://www.yogatech.com/Nirvair_Singh
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 09:56 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
NIRVAIR!

Oh, it's impossible NOT to love him (yes, it takes a double negative to explain how lovable he is).
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 09:56 AM  
mlroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
You will get better at coordinating breath with movement with practice. Remember, it's a yoga practice, not a yoga perfect.
Thanks - definitely a good reminder! I'm starting off very easy; Happy Yoga Chair Yoga. After a while with that I think I'm going to try the "Yoga for Inflexible People" bundle, and see how that goes. *shrug* It can take me a while to get better. I'm in no hurry to get anywhere today. =)

Old 05-30-16, 10:02 AM  
sherry7899

You may like Jane Adams yoga dvds also.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 10:13 AM  
mlroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
You may like Jane Adams yoga dvds also.
Yes! I've seen her talked about here and looked at the clips. She's definitely in my Amazon Wish List, too!

Old 05-30-16, 10:22 AM  
hotncmom

I think there are certain types of breathwork where the breath is held (inhale/hold in or exhale/hold out). I've never researched it but my gut tells me that holding breath may be contraindicated for those with high blood pressure.

Personally I have found that type of slow breathing with holds challenging to do (mentally as well as physically as there's often a sensation of suffocation), but I think it helped my lung capacity.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 10:42 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
NIRVAIR!

Oh, it's impossible NOT to love him (yes, it takes a double negative to explain how lovable he is).
Nirvair is hands down my favorite kundalini yoga teacher. He rarely if ever uses breath of fire in his videos, if I recall correctly. BOF can be energizing, but I agree it can sort of foster an aggressive vibe or just feel unpleasant.

When I taught kundalini yoga I was pretty conservative about pranayama practices other than long slow breathing.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote