Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-26-15, 11:55 AM  
lorajc

Question about Toe Surgery and Arthritis?

I hate to even post this since there were some "haters" that had a problem with all of my injuries.....but I can't help it that I had a bunch of falls recently and now another problem.....and honestly....this is where I come for my advice and discussion of this sort of thing.....so for those that are "sick of hearing about my problems" please feel free to put me on ignore, as that is what the button is for.

I went to the foot doctor yesterday just for a routine vistit to get my bunion injected with cortisone. I have it done every 3-5 months because without that, the pain is too bad. I may have to have surgery on that some day......well I go in and he feels my big toe joint and informs me that relatively my toe is falling off. He said "don't you hear that clicking?" I'm like no....my toe feels fine other than my normal bunion pain. So he proceeds to get an x-ray and tells me that I have arthritis so bad that my big toe is pulling away from the foot and I'm going to need surgery. I also have bad heel spurs and plantar faciitis and am due for my 3rd injection for that.......my gosh my feet are falling apart.........LOL...literally....no seriously, it's not funny.

So, for people that have had foot surgery, how long are you "down from working out?".....and has anyone ever heard of this or had this done? I've never heard of such a thing. I was shocked.

He also told me that my years of high impact cardio probably contributed, as well as ALL of my exercise. He's the same doctor who told me stretching was not important when my ankle fracture was healing and I told him I was having trouble getting in the proper position to stretch my legs. I am beside myself. He told me I can't evenn "light Jog" this Summer....only walk. I'm 55 ....I'm not 90.....geez....my body's giving out on me already?

Anyway, as I said above......if you don't have anything positive to contribute please keep it to yourself or ignore this thread....I don't need undue stress in my life.....but I look forward to discussing this with positive peeps. Thanks in advance.

ETA: oh I know...the other thing he considers high impact is the Rebounder??? has anyone ever heard that?

and when I say positive....I know....you can tell me I need to modify and such....I just don't want anyone telling me they are sick of hearing me complain, etc
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-15, 12:49 PM  
cpcathy

I have arthritis (RA) but I've never had foot surgery. A friend of mine has bad arthritis in her foot and her surgery is imminent, she said she'll be off work about a week, perhaps. Of course everyone is different. I just wanted to say that I don't know who "hated' on your injuries, but I think a lot of others here are supportive. I do hope this surgery works out for you though!

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-15, 12:55 PM  
bubbles76

I have not had foot surgery, but I have been told that I will need it eventually. Like you, of the way my toes curve inward. They would need to break them and reset them to make them go straight. It is only a slight curve, so I'm going in at the last minue. Like you, I went in for a different issue (purely aesthetic; I hated the corns and bunions due to wearing military boots) and came out with a different diagnosis.

I can relate to your lament of "is my body giving out on me so early" as I have many physical limitations bought about my a bad car accident, military training, and genetics. I am only 39. Hang in there sweetie, we still have plenty of time and energy left! I keep having to tell myself "concentrate on what you CAN do, not what you CAN'T, and things will work themselves out."

First thing I want to suggest is getting a second opinion. That's a pretty serious diagnosis, considering you already have so much going on with your feet. As for modifications to workouts, can you concentrate on upper body type cardio? Boxing workouts only? KCM has a good one that concentrates on mostly the upper body, I believe it's the latest kickbox offering. If your foot will be in a boot, could you do Margaret Richard's Getting Better? I believe that's the one she made when she was recovering from foot surgery. Of course, there are always chair workouts, but I have no recommendations there. Maybe some kettlebell or dumbbell swings, ala Ilaria's Atletica, would be good for you if you can do it with a boot on? It's hard to offer modifications as I've never had foot surgery myself, so I hope this helps.

And I would not suggest a rebounder, as you need two working feet for that I would think. Not being funny, I'm just trying to picture you jumping on a rebounder with a boot on. There may be ways around it. How about just bouncing on a physio ball for cardio? That may work as well.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-15, 01:05 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

My mom had surgery to remove heel spurs. She had it done as an outpatient procedure and she still had to go under general anesthesia. It was an orthoscopic procedure. She left the facility wearing a boot and using crutches. I'd say she was totally off her foot for about a week and then continued to wear the boot and use a cane for another 2-3 weeks. After that she was good to go. Since it would seem your surgery would involve more than just removing the heel spurs I would guess your recovery time may be more extensive.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-15, 01:56 PM  
rhbrand

My hubby has had 3 foot surgeries, and he was off his foot for more than a month. Then in a boot for another month.

Just ask the surgeon. We here don't know what he/she will be actually doing, and truly, until they open up your foot and start working they don't really know.

And yes, rebounding is high impact. You are still landing on your foot, even if the rebounder is taking some of the impact. One wrong land and you screw up the work your surgeon does.

You may have to just simply decide that your body is saying "SLOW DOWN" My hubby is learning that. He's younger than you, but has a total of 7 bulging/compresses discs in his back/neck and has had to quit running, and bowling. Your body is telling you, its time to maybe not do those things that is hurting you.
Old 03-26-15, 05:34 PM  
lorajc

Well I know all about modify in, as also have heriated dissc that nčec surgery that I'm post poning.....discussed in my previous thread and yes, t here was a couple ......one in particular peeps that said the were sick of hearing of one injury after another and said they had to question what I was doind to bring. Them on......insinuating I was getting injuries from workouts when in fact most of them were from falls!!!! Really upset me!

Anyway...being off my foot for a month is doable for me....as I've been injured and not been able to work out that long recent a few times.......so that's fine.....also....I can do kundalini ans seated upper body.

I know what really feels good......its foam rolling my feet. Of law, when i brush my teeth, I stand on it and get some om the wpasms out. Any on else try this?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-15, 05:42 PM  
rhbrand

Try a tennis ball. I love rolling my feet with a tennis ball. Works wonders.
Old 03-26-15, 06:04 PM  
bubbles76

Lorajc, I believe that there are some CDs and DVDs for foam rolling and tennis ball rolling with the feet. You have me interested in foam rolling my feet! I have tried rolling with a tennis ball. It's nice
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-15, 06:26 PM  
TuesdayTaylor
VF Supporter

Lorajc, "So, for people that have had foot surgery, how long are you "down from working out?"....."

What specific surgery are you considering? There's a huge variation in surgery recovering time depending on actual procedure.

I have severe osteoarthritis in both my big toes. My toes no longer bend. Period. So, anyone who doesn't know what is hallux rigidus - imagine not being able to flex or extend your big toes to walk, run, pivot or put on your shoes. No cartilage so there's pain. There are not bunions but these big bone spurs that make it very difficult to find shoes that fit. And not being able to bend my toes, I end up with hip and knee issues.

The toe surgery I've been recommended is "fusion". I keep prolonging it because from what I understand, it could be 8-12 months before I'd be back into exercising. And since my toe would not ever be bending again, I don't actually see the point of the surgery.

I'm in my 40s and apparently have the feet of an 80 year old, according to my surgeon.

I haven't yet had the surgery , as I said. But, from what my doctor says and from other people I've met who had FUSION surgery - it's about 3 months or more before you can even Weighbear. Then swelling takes about 8-12 months to go down.

What you are asking - the answer will vary depending on the surgery!
TuesdayTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-15, 07:36 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I've had some foot and ankle issues the past few years, but not bad enough for surgery. As others have said, it sounds like you need to get a second opinion. I wouldn't have surgery without getting at least one other second opinion. As for cardio, when I'm having foot problems I ride my stationary bike and do the chair cardio workouts on Jessica Smith's site. It is possible to get a decent cardio workout with both. Jessica has one that is around 40 minutes long and it really does get your heart pumping!
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote