Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-15, 08:21 PM  
gilbjeter

Tiny "toned" muscle definition

I can't believe I'm asking this, because everything I read lately says toned does not exist, and the only way to tighten up or "tone" is to lift heavy. I have to admit, lifting makes my 5'3" frame so much bulkier looking that I would prefer. For example, I look thick on my skinny jeans when I weight train. I don't want that, but I don't want flabby, skinny fat either. Can't there be some other way? I tend to be a cardio bunny but I do love HIIT (insanity, Cathe) and metabolic workouts. I do love liss cardio too, like a good run outside. I have been at this for years, but cannot seem to find what works for me. I am longing that tiny muscle look, not bulky arms. I have tried a lot from Tracy Anderson to Body Beast. But nothing seems to be that magic pill for me... So I am asking, what has given you that tiny tight look?
gilbjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-15, 09:10 PM  
Yelly

Being in my teens / twenties helped a lot, lol!!

Seriously though, I'm close to 40 now, and I think when I was completely immersed in TA, I started to achieve a look closest to what you're describing. I was doing Meta to-the-letter - I don't think I did anything in addition, aside from Tracy's cardio.

I also probably got to my most ideal look when I was doing STS with Cathe, and I also incorporated running, and an extremely clean diet. I was in the middle of a manic episode during that time though, so for me it wasn't a maintainable routine - but I did LOOK GOOD, ha ha!

I also notice if I stick to things like yoga or yoga-ish type workouts, it keeps the bulk under control. I'm 5'2, and I do have a tendency to look bulky if I lift really heavy.
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-15, 10:32 PM  
neatski

I think it all comes down to the diet. I just don't believe that any workout is a magic bullet. Body composition is mostly nutrition. Some workouts stimulate one's appetite, and some don't (and that depends on the person). No matter what people say about certain types of workouts having special effects on metabolism or muscle shape, ultimately, looking "toned" is about having lower body fat, and that occurs in the kitchen.

For me, doing long, high intensity workouts stimulates my appetite, and I tend to "bulk." Doing shorter workouts does not seem to have the same effect on me. My "magic bullet" has been barre combined with HIIT and some heavy weights, because I enjoy them and I have been very consistent with them, while eating cleanly. My body finally looks the way I want it to- athletic and strong, but not heavily muscled. I'm 5'2, BTW.

The best workout for muscle definition- and general health- is one you can be consistent with, that challenges you, and that does not make you eat like a starving beast!

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-15, 11:54 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

For me...Callanetics and T-Tapp.

As you can see, since three different people gave you three different answers. You are probably going to just have to figure it out what it is for you.

But I agree with Yelly - being in your twenties...that's the secret.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-15, 04:24 AM  
Lannette

I agree with everything posted this far. For me lean = toned look. Can't achieve it if I'm at a higher body fat. T-tapp, Barre help possibly because i gain muscle easily.

It seemed as though this came about in my late 40s. I'll be 60 soon. Honestly, at a higher body fat my body just looks - old.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-15, 05:09 AM  
Michefit

Not to over hype the TA bandwagon - but I used to do Cathe exclusively - and I switched to TA - I am going to be 42 and I am 5'2ish. My arms still look toned - almost muscular without the thickness. I totally know what you are saying. When I look at pictures from my Cathe days - I look fit but thick - not a look I am going for anymore - You don't lift heavy weights with TA but man you DO USE your muscles. My core is stronger than ever. I really like how I feel - tight and "graceful". When you watch her workouts you will think "WHAT?!" But seriously - don't knock it 'til you try it. Harder than they look!
Michefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-15, 07:09 AM  
Tugger31

Neatski, we sound similar in body mechanics (and height!)

Are you following a certain rotation, and what workouts do you use most often for your barre, HiiT and heavy weights? Are you doing heavy weights weekly or less often? Thanks!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-15, 08:20 AM  
PhyllisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michefit View Post
Not to over hype the TA bandwagon - but I used to do Cathe exclusively - and I switched to TA - I am going to be 42 and I am 5'2ish. My arms still look toned - almost muscular without the thickness. I totally know what you are saying. When I look at pictures from my Cathe days - I look fit but thick - not a look I am going for anymore - You don't lift heavy weights with TA but man you DO USE your muscles. My core is stronger than ever. I really like how I feel - tight and "graceful". When you watch her workouts you will think "WHAT?!" But seriously - don't knock it 'til you try it. Harder than they look!
I had the same experience.
PhyllisG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-15, 08:30 AM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michefit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I had the same experience.
Yep, me, too... And like Michefit, my core is stronger than ever and flatter. I also find it easier to control what I eat when I'm consistently doing TA. I don't do her cardio, but I do do cardio - just whatever trips my trigger on that day.
Old 01-20-15, 08:50 AM  
Tugger31

It's appealing to me that TA may make me less thick, but I worry as I age that TA will cause me to lose the strength I worked so hard to acquire with Cathe. I worry about brittle bones, overall weakness etc as I get older. Any experiences to share on this topic?
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote