Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-15, 10:57 PM  
bfit

what is "normal" for a cat 16 years old?

We think our cat is about 16 years old, but we're not entirely sure because she was already a senior when we adopted her. Of course she's aged in the 5-6 years we've had her, but over the past few months it's been really obvious. She's stiff, she's thinner, less active, and doesn't have the greatest appetite. She doesn't groom herself as much so her fur looks sort of scruffy. But she still maintains her normal routine (mainly moving around to sunny spots to sleep), is friendly and affectionate, and purrs all the time. We've had regular check-ups at the vet like we're supposed to and taken care of any medical issues so I don't think we're neglecting her medical needs. We've made the litter box easier to use, fed smaller meals, put pet stairs around so she can get to her favorite places, and so on, but we may be reaching the limit on what we can do, and we don't want to start doing extraordinary expensive things just to prolong her life. Is this typical for an aging or aged cat? Does anyone have any experience? If this is within the realm of "normal" for an old cat I'll be sad but somehow it would make me feel a little better about it all.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 11:20 PM  
kristiep

We had a lot of cats growing up (no longer as I developed allergies to cats), and few of them lasted 16 years. You must be doing something right! It sounds like normal aging to me.
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-15, 12:02 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I've had three 16-17 year olds and this seems like normal aging. As long as the vet says everything is fine, you seem to be doing everything right for her. Sounds like she has a great life with you and I'm sure she appreciates everything you're doing to make her golden years as enjoyable and comfortable as possible.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-15, 12:07 AM  
PrairieGem

I have six 13-year-old dogs (littermates), and they have all aged differently. One of them has gone very scruffy, finicky, and has a peculiar (not bad) odor that no one but us can smell. She is under the best medical care, and everything checks out... so all we can do is chalk it up to normal aging!
Old 01-10-15, 01:18 AM  
ilovemygreatdane

Yep you are doing everything right for your old girl. As long as she is eating, using her litter box and generally acting like herself she's ok. My guy, Al, will be 20 (crosses all fingers and toes) this coming May. He looks like a cartoon cat now. He's skinny. He looks like he's been steamrolled. I groom him every week including washing him lightly with a damp cloth. I think if I groom him any more he might have bald spots. I put extra treats in his food to keep him eating. Nothing puts weight on him. I feed him wet food 3 times a day and leave dry for him to eat when he wants. My Firm Fanny Lifter has a new life as his step for getting on and off the bed. I have baby blankets to cover him when it's cold. I use a heating pad on the warm setting for him if he wants it. I am spoiling him because he is awesome and deserves it. His purr sounds different now but he's still purring. His personality is the same as always except he is more cautious than before. Oh and if your cat hasn't started with LOUD caterwauling yet - be prepared!
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-15, 06:00 AM  
PhyllisG

Arthritis? If so your vet can prescribe pain meds for him. Has he had a blood panel done recently? It could be early kidney failure and again your vet can help by giving him fluids. You are taking such good care of him.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-15, 06:32 AM  
Demeris

My cat lived to be 22+, but what you're describing sounds like the last few months of her life.

My cat, I have come to understand, had a phenomenally long and healthy life. With one exception, all of my friends' & relatives' cats have lived 16/17 years.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-15, 06:45 AM  
shawnt

Yes, that sounds normal to me. I have lots of geriatric cat experience! At about the 15-16 year mark, mine all turned slower and scruffier and started to look a little long in the tooth. My last "old guy" lived to almost 20. I wouldn't worry just yet.

If your vet hasn't alerted you to anything life threatening, then she's likely fine - just starting to show her age.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Nelson Mandela

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi
shawnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-15, 10:36 AM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

I appreciate this thread as I have two 14 year old cats.

One of them has taken to yowling at night for seemingly no reason...its affecting my sleep! Any ideas/suggestions?
Old 01-10-15, 10:37 AM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Inky is turning 13 next month and I think she has some arthritis in her hips. In going to start adding glucosamine order powder to her wet food to see if it helps her. Most of the time I done notice. But when it's cold and she gets up after a nap she can look a little creaky.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote