Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-14, 10:08 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Swap-A-DVD charging $0.49 for each DVD trade!

Swap-A-DVD just announced today they will be charging $0.49 each time you request a DVD from the swap:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swap-a-DVD
This letter is to announce an IMPORTANT POLICY CHANGE coming soon at SwapaDVD. Beginning Monday, May 19, 2014, SwapaDVD members will begin to pay the same $0.49-per-swap fee that has always been in effect at SwapaCD. We know this is not a welcome change, but we hope that it won’t be too much of an adjustment.

SwapaDVD.com launched in December 2007 as a way for videophiles all over America to share their already-watched movies with each other. Since then we have grown enormously; to date over 1 million DVDs have been swapped successfully. (And many more books and CDs have been swapped on our sister sites, PaperBackSwap and SwapaCD.) We have loved watching the clubs grow! Unfortunately, the expense of maintaining each site has grown also, and in order to keep SwapaDVD up and running, we need to institute the same fee that has helped to support SwapaCD.

What does that mean to you? It means that when you request an item at SwapaDVD, you will need to have $0.49 in your SwapaDVD Money balance as well as the credits needed for that item (note: when you send an item, there is no swap fee for the sender). The $0.49 fee will apply to each item requested, no matter how many discs are contained in the item. So if you request a 6-disc season of a TV series, you will need to pay a $0.49 swap fee for that item, in addition to the credits required. For example, 1 DVD at 1 credit is one item. 1 Blu-ray at 2 credits is one item. One Blu-ray/DVD combo at 4 credits is one item. If you request more than one item in a shipment, each item will require a $0.49 swap fee.

This policy change is especially important to note if you have any Wishlisted items set to Auto-Request. You will need to have SwapaDVD Money in your account for the auto-request to go through when an item becomes available. (If you don’t have the PBS Money, your Wish will be skipped and you will stay at the top of the Wish List while the item is offered to the next wishing member.)

The news isn’t all bad, though - In order to simplify the system, we are reducing the price of DVD Credits from $5.45 to $3.95 each! That means that for those of you who transfer credits between your accounts in the different clubs, the credit ratios between SwapaDVD, SwapaCD and PaperBackSwap will be 1:1:1 , instead of 2:3:3.

If you have ever used Printable Postage, you are already familiar with SwapaDVD money. It can be purchased in the Kiosk,which you can access from the gray bar near the top right of any page on the site. You can find full instructions for purchasing SwapaDVD money in our Help Center.

Over the next few days we will be working on updating Help Center information and adjusting other policies that may be affected by the swap fee. Please let us know if you see something that we missed.

Thanks in advance for your patience as we make these adjustments. And thanks for being a member of the best movie club in America!

The SwapaDVD Team
Man, that's disappointing. I liked the self-sufficiency of the original system.

Anybody else think this might change their swapping/buying/trading behavior?
Old 05-16-14, 01:28 AM  
sherry7899

This will definitely change my usage of the site. I really hope they never use this on paperback swap-I use that site much more frequently than swap a dvd.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-14, 06:16 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

I haven't used swapadvd in a while but don't think I will continue now after this! I rather stick with trading with VFers!

Sherry,
ITA, I use PBS more too and hope they won't jump onto that bandwagon!..

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-14, 10:18 AM  
Mandy

This is unhappy news to me. The site charges you that amount to print out the postage from their site. I thought, ok, .50 cents isn't that much and more convenient than going to the post office. But recently, I've been using paypal to print out my swapadvd postage and there is no charge and free delivery confirmation. I have been a swapadvd member since 2007. Now I have 20 credits and there isn't any exercise DVD I want. I won't be adding any more to my wish list.

At least there is the video exchange
Old 05-16-14, 11:37 AM  
moonbeam31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnP View Post
Swap-A-DVD just announced today they will be charging $0.49 each time you request a DVD from the swap:Man, that's disappointing. I liked the self-sufficiency of the original system.

Anybody else think this might change their swapping/buying/trading behavior?
I agree- I LOVED NOT having a credit card # on file and just sending out the dvds with stamps like we do here on VF! I am probably done now.
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-14, 01:09 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

They should have given more notice. That was stinky. Will probably transfer my credits to PBS.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote