Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-14, 07:51 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Talking It's my Kundaliniversary!

One year ago today I popped RaviAna's Dance the Chakras in my DVD player and instantly fell in love with Kundalini Yoga. I had wanted to establish a regular yoga practice for a long time before that and it never happened, but I got back on the mat the next day, and the day after that... Since then I have practiced Kundalini Yoga almost every day, averaging 20 hours a month. I have acquired all RaviAna's DVDs, discovered other fantastic KY teachers (Gurmukh, Kia Miller, Gloria Latham, Maya Fiennes,...), become a YogaGlo subcriber, and completed a Sadhana - doing Kia Miller's fantastic Morning Wake-Up Class every morning for 40 days.

Interestingly, I had bought my first KY DVDs a few years before that. After reading glowing reviews of RaviAna's here, I had purchased Dance the Chakras and Beginners & Beyond. But my experience at the time was underwhelming: I watched both, tried one, thought it was totally weird, and put them away. It was another thread here that rekindled my curiosity and somehow the timing was perfect - it was exactly what I needed, exactly at the time.

A regular KY practice has done so much for me. In fact, I feel it has changed EVERYTHING! I feel so much calmer and happier. I feel youthful and full of energy. I feel hopeful. I effortlessly make better choices in all areas of my life - how I treat myself and others, work decisions, etc. I sleep better - insomnia and nightmares used to be the norm, now they are the exception. It's magical.

So let's hear it for Kundalini Yoga... Who else loves it? Was it an instant hit with you or did it take a few attempts? What has it done for you?

I look forward to everyone's stories. In the meantime I will me celebrating my Kundaliniversary on the mat with Happy Hormones
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 07:59 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I've never tried it, but congrats on your anniversary!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 08:38 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Yay, congrats on your Kundaliniversary, Fuzzie!

I just recently got back into KY a few months ago after an almost year long hiatus , though I can't say I've truly been practicing regularly every day back then and am still trying to get a proper routine down... (Right now I'm doing a Ballet Beautiful/Leslie/KY rotation, but I'm tempted to soon focus on KY alone, practicing for more than 15-20 min each day!)

The very first time I tried KY with Raviana was a few years ago and I immediately dismissed it! It felt strange and so silly to me with the BOF and all the movements that were so unknown to me.. I was feeling embarrassed even though it was only me (and my cats) in the room when I tried it out...

Thanks to this board and the wonderful (enabling ) VFers, I got intrigued again about a year later and this time I was more open minded and ready and actually fell in love with KY! It just feels 'right' to me and I can see how I not only benefit mentally but also physically from it!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 08:49 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Happy anniversary, my Kundalini friend!

I'd read posts over the years about Kundalini, and Ravi and Ana. So many VF'ers seemed to love them. I was afraid to try it, and also admit to being put off by criticizing threads over Ana's wardrobe, "Kundalini Madness" and such. But a check-in buddy loaned me "Lose Weight, Feel Great" and I fell in love at the first try. First, I loved the music - then, I loved the breath control and the different way of moving - then, when I was done, I fell in love with the feeling. I felt cleansed and "polished," inside and out; filled with happiness; my day went better, I handled work stress better, all of it.

Now I have almost all of Ravi and Ana's DVDs, some DVDs by Maya Fiennes, Anne Novack, and I regularly enjoy (and Love ) practices by Kia Miller on YogaGlo. When I'm puttering around at home, I listen to my Pandora channel of Snatam Kaur Khalsa, Deva Primal, etc. For me, my practice has transformed from physical to almost medicinal levels!
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 08:58 AM  
Cecelia

Congratulations to you! Your enthusiasm is wonderful, and I'm glad you found a practice that resonates with you.
I bought my first kundalini yoga DVDs in 2007. Lose Weight Feel Great was my first one. I popped it in the DVD player to preview and I thought, "What the heck is this?" But I decided to give it a try and found it's a whole different thing when you are doing it. I quickly bought Dance the Chakras, and Beginners and Beyond, and in the years since then, I've acquired quite the library of kundalini DVDs.
I haven't always been consistent in my practice and it shows. When I am not practicing regularly, I feel "off." Last June I committed to doing at least 3 kundalini practices a week. I absolutely love it, and reap the rewards in terms of stress reduction, better sleep, better eating habits, and peace of mind.
Thanks for posting!
Cecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 10:03 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Wow, congratulations, fuzzie! One of the best posts I've ever read here on VF. I have one Raviana dvd, Beginners & Beyond, which I've never even previewed. I think it's time to give it a try.
summer breeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 10:23 AM  
sunday

Congrats!!! Ravi and Ana are my favorites! I remember five years ago putting in Fat Free Yoga - LWFG, and being blown away! Just doing that daily for two months was responsible for 20 pounds coming off. Love me some BOF!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 10:38 AM  
ardnas

Thumbs up

Love hearing your story and totally agree.
Not sure when I first tried it. But I do remember seeing a YouTube video of one of Raviana's workouts and thinking WTH, are they crazy!? I never connected with any yoga workouts, but one day I bought For Beginners and Beyond and immediately fell in love. I bought every single one of the Ravianas and tried others. I don't do it daily, but Kundalini has been in my life regularly ever since. And I have since tried and enjoyed other forms of yoga. I feel like it has helped my posture, breathing, mood, sleep, waistline, and encouraged me to be more open minded.
Now when people knock Raviana/Kundalini, I always think wow, they do not know what they are missing and to do it feels so amazing.
Old 03-06-14, 10:47 AM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

Fuzzie, Happy Kundaliniversary! I'm so glad it's been working for you.
Old 03-06-14, 01:43 PM  
gladgirl

Smile

Fuzzie,
Oh Happy Day! Congrats!
I am starting my own journey and hope to celebrate in the year to come!
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kundalini yoga, raviana