Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-11, 05:57 PM  
beatchica

To Heal a Heart, Train Harder

Wow! This is amazing. I have always been a fan of high intensity interval training. But this is really interesting.

To Heal a Heart, Train Harder
beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 07:08 PM  
Sophie

One of the scientists quoted was the keynote at conference I was at last summer, and I remember being really flabbergasted at this . But it's good to remember that:

Quote:
"In heart-failure patients, 90% of max may be walking,"
I'm very interested in seeing further developments here, particularly in how to screen out patients for whom interval training isn't appropriate (there's a very brief mention of this about 3/4 of the way down, and at the end of the article.)

And then on the other side of the coin is Katy Bowman, whose recent posts have argued strongly for lower exercise intensity for HBP (and by association, other cardiovascular disease conditions):

Five things you didn't know about exercise and high blood pressure

I'm thinking that we're a long way from consensus on this.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 06:15 AM  
beatchica

Thanks Sophie! I didn't even know there was another side to this story.
beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 08:03 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatchica View Post
Thanks Sophie! I didn't even know there was another side to this story.
Baffles me. I like both interval training AND long ambling moderate cardio, but the more I learn the less I'm sure of what's best for me, heart-wise. And it is an increasing concern for me, as I'm getting to the age where women start to become equal to men for cardiovascular disease risk.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 08:24 AM  
metalbarbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
Baffles me. I like both interval training AND long ambling moderate cardio, but the more I learn the less I'm sure of what's best for me, heart-wise. And it is an increasing concern for me, as I'm getting to the age where women start to become equal to men for cardiovascular disease risk.
I wouldn't worry if I were you. I would be worried if I haven't been exercising and led a sedentary life. I know my body's HDL responds only to exercise (not diet). So you should be ok if you are alternating both. Your HDL and LDL will determine (more or less) whether you're a candidate for a heart attack.
metalbarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 08:51 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
One of the scientists quoted was the keynote at conference I was at last summer, and I remember being really flabbergasted at this . But it's good to remember that:
"In heart-failure patients, 90% of max may be walking,"
And if you use the 220-age formula (which I believe there's some dispute about, like practically everything else about fitness) your max drops every year even if you might be feeling "fitter" every year.

Crunching the numbers for the interval workout in that article, I would have to stay between 132-159 bpm during the 4-minute high intensity intervals. That used to be my target HR zone back in the day.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio, cholesterol, hdl, heart disease, heart health, katy bowman