Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-11, 11:42 AM  
Libby

Polar Heart Rate Monitor

My hubby found one of these at a garage sale for $1.00 and it works really well. I'm just curious about checking my heart rate. I'm 52 and it looks like it says from the booklet that came with it that my resting heart rate should be 80 or below, my fat burning zone would be around 100 and that my aerobic zone would be around 150 if I'm reading the booklet right. If want to burn calories should I try to stay around 150 for 20-30 minutes? Does your heart rate go higher the better shape you are in when you are doing cardio workouts? As you age, is it harder to get your heart rate up that high? And when you are resting, is it our goal to get our heart rate down to around the 50's? My heart rate got down to around 54 last night but I was lying down and about to fall asleep for the night. Just curious about the heart rate thing and what goals I should aim for.

Thanks!
Libby
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-11, 12:12 PM  
Nairobinicole

My heart rate monitor (Timex brand) came with a booklet that has two tests. IIRC one you step up and down on a 8" step for three minutes and record your heart rate at the end. The second test you sit in a chair and stand up and then sit back down for three minutes. You average your heart rate from the two tests and add it to the base number for your age group. That way you can calculate your Maximum heart rate and figure out your 75-80% of max and 60% of max.

Does your booklet have a test like that?
Nairobinicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-11, 12:56 PM  
slysam

Hi Libby, there are individual variations on heart rate from what I understand. I.E. I cannot seem to get my hr into my zone 3 according to my Polar even doing intense workouts that cause me to lose my breath. I've been told the maximum heart rate it figures is based on some kind of averages and are a good rule of thumb but do not apply to each specific person. So you may find you have a hard time/cannot meet your goal or you may find that you frequently work above your "max heart rate" and still feel great. In my Polar you can set your own Max. heart rate--if you know it (some people have lab tests done or do a home test to estimate like another poster described). But if you set all the setting to work for you that should help. Does yours let you enter your resting heart rate or have a built in test that measures it?
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 07:42 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
HR is an individual thing. Some people fall with in the guidelines, but some do not. I took my resting heart rate for a week (each morning before I got up, I took my HR). From there, I calculated my target zones. Here is an article that explains it. I did not read the article fully, but it looked good as I skimmed through it. http://www.sarkproducts.com/sally1.htm. It is written by Sally Edwards. She does a lot on HR training for cyclists.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heart rate, heart rate monitor, heartrate monitor