Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-04, 03:18 PM  
CrystalLR

Location: Somerset, PA(1 hr. east of Pittsburgh...where Flight#93 crashed)
Welcome Julie!

Nice to meet you!

Crystal
CrystalLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-04, 07:21 PM  
behaha

Smile Hi all

Just joined and I want you all to know how happy I am to have found you. Thanks for letting me in! I am 37, a grad student in history (nice to find what you love late, isn't it?). I took up exercise about 2 years ago to fight the stress and anxiety of writing my dissertation. I weighed something like 280-300 pounds. After about six months the exercise became addictive and I began to do it every day -- Taebo basic 1/2-hour was my breakthrough tape and I did it daily for months. Can't stand it anymore though sometimes I tack those last 10 minutes of side-kicks onto another workout. I lost about 100 pounds but have been on a plateau for nearly a year -- during which time people began to notice. For a while there I was all "feel my arms!" to my friends, but nobody was much impressed. Since losing weight was only a side interest for me it wasn't hard to stay motivated, and now the downward slide of the scale has slowly begun again.

Now I do mostly The Firm, though I came to it so late I have mostly Firm Parts rather than the original 6-pack. Some Charlene Prickett for slow heavy (well, kinda heavy) weights. I am trying to do more cardio (blah for me) and I like stepping a lot but it tends to aggravate my heel pain so I do way too much strength stuff instead. Split upper/lower/total body type tapes. After lurking around the posts all day I can't wait to try some Cathe!

Thanks guys for keeping such a lovely community and letting strangers in. Looking forward to lots of posting -- there aren't many people you can talk to about working out, are there?
behaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-04, 07:38 PM  
CrystalLR

Location: Somerset, PA(1 hr. east of Pittsburgh...where Flight#93 crashed)
Hi and welcome Barbara!
We all have our only story to tell and yours is teriffic!
I didn't start my quest 'til 2000 at the age of 45 and as a result of my quest, have been led to what "I wanted to be when I grew up"...LOL!....which is a CFT(Certified Fitness Trainer). Well....that was 4 years ago, 6 dress sizes ago, and I've been maintaining for 3 years.

You CAN do it!..I know, because I'm just an ordinary person and if I can attain reasults, YOU CAN! Reach for the stars!

Crystal
CrystalLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-04, 05:53 PM  
AKecks

Guess I'm a lurker too

Been checking the site for awhile and really enjoy all the forums, reviews, and advice.

I workout often at home and have several pieces of equipment and dvds so this site could be a great place to learn more and give some feedback!

My shcedule is so crazy that I often workout from home to try and keep healthy. When I can I hit the gym and head to classes.

Look forward to more on VF.
AKecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-04, 06:43 PM  
new2me

Hi and Welcome Akecks and Barbara!!! Glad you've both joined us!

The sudden precious moments in life need to be recognized for the unique periods they are, not wasted by wishing for something else. Edith Schaeffer
new2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-04, 01:51 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Okay, my intro

Yikes, I pretty much lurk as well. I've only been coming to VF for about 6 months, and regularly for just the last couple of weeks, though.

I'm 43 (can that be?), married to my best friend since 1985 and the proud mom of a wonderful 13yo daughter whom I've been homeschooling for 8 years. (This is our last year, however, as she's headed for public high school next year.) We've always maintained a home "zoo" of sorts, though at the moment it's down to 2 dogs, 3 cats, a frog and a garter snake.

I must say that exercise hasn't always been my life's passion :rolleyes: but that is changing! (Unfortunately I've gained quite a bit of weight through the years, though I've always maintained a firm muscular base and a lot of flexibility.) I enjoy strength workouts with weights best, but I'm learning to - ahem - enjoy cardio. Somewhat. I "grew up" with the Firm workouts (and used to pre-order them for $50) and still love them (older ones only); in fact they're the mainstay of my routine. I also like Tae Bo and simple, not-too-dancey aerobic workouts but I HATE regular (non-Firm) step workouts! I do also enjoy the Bar Method workouts and I'm just beginning to explore yoga and Pilates... when it comes to workouts, I guess I'm not what you'd call particularly adventurous, lol.

Looking forward to getting to know you all a lot better!
~ Virginia
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-04, 07:19 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Virginia - Welcome to VF. It sounds like you will find lots of info on your interests. Be forwarned though, it doesn't matter whether you are "adventuresome" or not in exercising. You'll still hear about more workouts that you can afford that you'll want to try! Guard the credit cards!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-04, 12:21 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Thanks for the welcome, Laura! I love reading your posts and it's nice to finally say "hi"!

As far as watching the spending is concerned... omg, it's too late for that! I've already got over 60 and seem to buy new ones far too regularly, lol. As a matter of fact, I keep trying to curb the collection. In theory, at least, 30-40 should provide all the variety one needs, right?! Well, at least I tend to buy them used at cheaper prices or off Ebay. Just bought the SS Mix It Up dvd there for about $5.00 in fact. I thought I'd like to try one of the shorter workouts from that series so now we'll see if I get hooked onto something else, lol. (That's probably why I don't dare try Cathe... that, and the fact that I don't think I'm advanced enough, plus I hate stepping, he he.)
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-04, 01:30 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
As far as watching the spending is concerned... omg, it's too late for that! I've already got over 60 and seem to buy new ones far too regularly, lol.
Virginia - Well, then I guess I should have said welcome to vidiot-dom! Sounds like you have a good start!

Seriously, it is a tough balance between getting new and/or different workouts and deciding when enough is enough. I think the number which is adequate varies from person to person and is dependent on various factors (boredom factors, how many types of exercise someone does, etc.).

If you want a support group for those types of question, you are always welcome at the No Buying Challenge in the Challenges and Check-ins section of the board. It's sort of misnamed since it's actually the "I'm going to come up with criteria for my purchases so I can make my fitness spending more efficient" check-in, but that's not quite as catchy!

Whatever you do, have fun with your workouts. It sounds like you do, so that's good.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-04, 09:48 PM  
tangerine

Delurking

I've been lurking for about a month and decided to peek out! I am busy with a hectic schedule but I squeeze in about an hours workout every day. I recently started with Tae Bo and Leslie Sansone, and am loving it so far. I'm also a fan of Lotte Berk and Callanetics.

You all are so motivating and I look forward to posting more and sharing in the fun!
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
former sticky, how did you find vf, introductions, new members, new to vf, new user, sticky thread