Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-05, 11:18 PM  
tiny_dancer

What a coincidence...

On Friday, this thread was started, and got a pretty good response. The VERY NEXT DAY, my local newspaper has an article on the front page about the same topic.

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/0723...23050014.shtml

Here's an excerpt from the beginning:

"There was a time when family names identified the person's occupation - such as a blacksmith or baker.

For three Faulkner County women, their last names also relate to their jobs and elicit some good-natured teasing.

Cindy Chalk is a teacher; Myra Book is a school librarian; and Barbara Money is a certified public accountant."

"A new study says that one of the advantages of the treadmill is that it's the highest calorie burner of the exercises. And the other advantage is that hamsters can now laugh at us." ~Johnny Robish
tiny_dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 10:58 AM  
Sharon T
VF Supporter

Many local gentlemen have had vasectomies performed by Dr. Stopp.
Sharon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 02:34 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

There's a rather a propos program on VH1 right now, about strange names stars give their kids.

One woman named her child "Audio Science." Seems a name ripe for a professional link.

A rapper named Little Mo has a daughter called "God'iss Love." I could think of a profession to match that.

Rachel Griffiths named her son "Banjo." Perhaps a country music career in his future.

Then there's always Gwenyth Paltrow's "Apple."

All I can think is "these poor kids"! (And I used to think that "Moon Unit" and "Dweezel" Zappa had it bad!)

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 04:27 PM  
acey

how could I forget! one of my own colleagues at our magazine is named Wright--a journalist.

Another colleague is literally named Tom Sawyer, and you can imagine what he has to put up with all the time!
acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 04:50 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

One of the doctors we used to go see as kids was Dr. Meany, he was quite nice though.

These would probably be more appropriate for an "embarrassing names"
thread but I remember looking in the company employee directory years ago
at my last job and there were a few people listed with the misfortune of
having these last names...

Ramsbottom
Woodcock
Sickendick

The good thing is that these people worked in the corporate office in
another state, so I never came in contact with these people face to face.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 05:19 PM  
tiny_dancer

Some last names I've personally seen on customers' checks that don't necessarily have anything to do with profession, but which I sure wouldn't want to have to live with myself are:

Plopper
Looney
Laughinghouse
Dinwiddie
Slaughter
Boozer

Just glancing through the local phone book, apparently we also have someone who goes by B.A. Dick.

"A new study says that one of the advantages of the treadmill is that it's the highest calorie burner of the exercises. And the other advantage is that hamsters can now laugh at us." ~Johnny Robish
tiny_dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 07:25 PM  
jmander

My mom just reminded me that their tree trimming guy is Mr. Stumper.

The news that my dad had prostate cancer was delivered by Dr. Fink. (He's apparently fully recovered now.)

Jane
Old 07-24-05, 10:09 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

In the place I used to work, we had a couple of funny results come up from the way we created people's user names. We used the first six letters of their last name followed by first initial, middle inital. It's a good way to avoid duplicates, but sometimes you end up unintentionally mangling people's names. We had one guy with a beautiful last name of Andaluz, but when we truncated it and added his initials we ended up with andalugi.
Old 07-25-05, 07:36 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Here at UVa we have Student Services (they help people move, etc). Apparently the company name field on one of the A/P reports is not very long, because in the system they come up as "Stud Services". !!!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-05, 08:52 AM  
lisald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy T
Here at UVa we have Student Services (they help people move, etc). Apparently the company name field on one of the A/P reports is not very long, because in the system they come up as "Stud Services". !!!
Peggy,

That's pretty funny. I'm replying though, because I went to UVA. I love C'ville. I'd love to live there again, someday.

Lisa
lisald is offline   Reply With Quote