Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-20, 05:04 PM  
Pam

My next door neighbor, who my kids and I considered our honorary Grandmother, would say “don’t put off enjoying life until you are old.” I inherited a little money from her and used it to trek in Nepal and Thailand. I know she would have approved.
Old 03-21-20, 05:28 PM  
JeepGirl

“You catch more flies with honey than vinegar” was my grandma’s favorite saying. She’d say “fudge” when she lost at cards and she’d wink her eye at me. As an adult I now wonder....was that grandma code for another f-word? I can’t believe my gram would ever say that!

I grew up in my grandparents home and there were lots of great quotes. I had the top bunk and my grandpa would come in every morning and squeeze my foot and say “time to get up and get at ‘em!” One morning, after years of this—I was probably in 5th or 6th grade, I looked at him and said “who is Adam?” He doubled over he was laughing so hard.

I miss my grandparents. By the time I was 19 they had all died.
JeepGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 07:15 PM  
Cecelia

I loved my grandmother. She used to tell me, "You have to learn to take the bitter, with the sweet."
Cecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 08:40 PM  
Sand

My grandmother would always tell me “I loved you, before I knew you!” When I was going through some health issues and was really needing love, I thought of her a lot.
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 08:52 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand View Post
My grandmother would always tell me “I loved you, before I knew you!” When I was going through some health issues and was really needing love, I thought of her a lot.
That is such a beautiful quote! Grandparents are quite special. I wish I could think of a quote from mine to share. I know they loved me a whole lot and that’s a great blessing.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 09:26 PM  
alisoncooks

I don't have any memorable quotes, but I remember visiting my grandmother at work, where she was a teacher's assistant. She's always introduced my brother and I to her students as her "grandbabies." Even when we were teens: "my grandbabies."

(My grandmother is still living and is retired now. She paints landscape portraits of the local area and is fairly well-known in her town for it. )
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 10:16 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I can’t remember specific sayings my grandmother said, but she was one of the most important people in my life growing up. She lived through a lot of adversity in her life but never lost her sense of humour. She was an amazing woman. She lived with us most of my childhood and I have so many wonderful memories of her. Now that I am a grandmother, I look back and appreciate her even more!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-20, 05:28 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy they say". Back when I was young I worked multiple jobs due to irresponsible spending and running up credit cards. Gramma always used to say this to me. But all the work and no play got me out of debt, still I appreciated her words. She made the best lefse on the planet too.

She passed away 2 years ago at 102. She is missed but glad that she is with Grampa again.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-20, 07:41 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

My grandma was amazing. Like most people from her generation, she had been through a lot (her son died at the age of 8) but was very resilient. I often wonder how she and my other grandparents would have dealt with this coronavirus crisis. Anyway, she was a great cook and I wish I could have learned more from her, but she died when I was 15. These are some quotes I remember:

"If you lie down with dogs, you'll get up with fleas."

"You get what you pay for."
Old 03-22-20, 08:25 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

So great to hear of all your memories! My two grandmothers were Argentinian and Italian, respectively, living in their home countries and visited rarely. The only thing I recall from my Italian Nonna, who was very old ( and I was very young), was: "Qual ti piacce, qui o America?" (Which do you like, here or America?" I'm sure she had wiser sayings but she reserved them for others.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote