Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-20, 07:56 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

NYC public schools are closing through April 20th.
It takes a lot to close an entire enormous school system with its many repercussions.

NYC restaurants are required by law to be no more than half full and this will be strictly enforced.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-20, 08:02 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I have heard reports (don't know the validity) that if you are caught out and about in Italy, you are charged with murder. I don't even know if you have to test positive for that.
This doesn't sound right. I have lots of family in northern Italy and my cousin still has to leave home every day to go to work. Everyone else is home though.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-20, 08:39 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
All private and public schools in my state will be closed. Restaurants dine in will be closed but I think drive thru and pick up will be available. My local library is closed. I placed an online order for groceries but no pick up time available for tomorrow. I just hope they'll have everything I need Tuesday.
I used to be able to do same-day grocery pick up with Walmart but when I checked on Saturday, the first pick up time available was Thursday with half the items in my cart out of stock!

All schools K-12 in Ohio closed for three weeks and told to prepare to be closed through the end of the semester. Parents were warned that day care will be next. Restaurants and bars closed other than pick up and delivery. Libraries are closed.

Yet, all the gyms are still open.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-20, 10:38 PM  
LAC

I live in NYS. Our governor had an editorial in the NY Times today that is an open letter to the President. One of his suggestions is to mobilize the Army Corp of Engineers to retrofit things like military bases or college dorms to stave off what is likely going to be a shortage of hospital beds if we follow Italy's trajectory. I think you have to have a subscription to the NY Times to be able to read it there, but one of our local news stations has it available on their website:
https://www.news10.com/news/governor...ers-stay-home/

I''m not sharing the letter to start a political discussion. I don't belong to a political party. I just thought the issues discussed in the letter could be relevant pretty much anywhere in the country. I personally was startled to learn that NYS has just 53,470 hospital beds and that of those, only 3,186 are intensive care beds. Just 3,186 intensive care beds for a state with 19.5 million people! How many intensive care beds does your state have?
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-20, 11:47 PM  
fanofladyvols

I think it's important for us to stay vigilant about how we feel too.
I saw this article and found what she experienced helpful
https://nypost.com/2020/03/15/colora...from-sniffles/

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-20, 07:42 AM  
Negin

My friend who lives in Italy just shared this on Facebook. These are her words.*Please everyone, pay attention. This will affect us all in some way. Stay Home.

These are her words:

"STAY HOME no matter what your local officials tell you! this is not a local matter, no matter where you are. it’s a global pandemic.

this chilling video of a bergamo newspaper’s obituary column in lombardy, the hardest hit region in italy, shows the reality. on february 9 it was 1.5 pages long. on march 13, 10 pages.

and the mother of the mayor in a neighboring municipality just died this morning as well.

i’m not trying to scare you or throw you into a panic. the italians are not panicking. i am just urging you to be prepared and to remain proactive.

and to STAY HOME."
Old 03-16-20, 08:44 AM  
akaAnnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
I live in NYS. Our governor had an editorial in the NY Times today that is an open letter to the President. One of his suggestions is to mobilize the Army Corp of Engineers to retrofit things like military bases or college dorms to stave off what is likely going to be a shortage of hospital beds if we follow Italy's trajectory. I think you have to have a subscription to the NY Times to be able to read it there, but one of our local news stations has it available on their website:
https://www.news10.com/news/governor...ers-stay-home/

I''m not sharing the letter to start a political discussion. I don't belong to a political party. I just thought the issues discussed in the letter could be relevant pretty much anywhere in the country. I personally was startled to learn that NYS has just 53,470 hospital beds and that of those, only 3,186 are intensive care beds. Just 3,186 intensive care beds for a state with 19.5 million people! How many intensive care beds does your state have?
The NYT is making their coronavirus coverage available without a subscription.
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-20, 09:43 AM  
angie_nrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDiva View Post
I so agree with you. It's apparent that hysteria breeds hysteria. Getting the Coronovirus does not equate death. I doubt most people even know the origin of this Novel C virus, the difference between bacteria, fungus or virus. Sad that the media rules over common sense.
I agree. I think the histeria is a response to the media hype. In addition, when they announced the 2 week school closures here, everyone rushed the stores to get prepared for that. That, I can understand.....but TP??? I guess I thought most people had a healthy supply of TP at home. Guess not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Just want to give a big thank you to those of you who work with the public and are continuing to serve all of us in this time, medical personnel, obviously, but also all those grocery clerks, postal workers, etc.
I was thinking the same thing. LOVE my mail lady!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
The price gauging is out of control. I was on EBay and the price of Clorox and Lysol products is absolutely criminal. A 4 pack of Clorox wipes was up to over $100 in bids. Incredibly pathetic!!
I don't get this at all. It would be cheaper to go out and buy 100 proof vodka or Everclear and use that as a sanitizer after putting it in a spray bottle. I make tinctures, so I have lots of 100 proof alcohol. Although, I also have lots of soap and sanitizer at home too, so no need to break into the good stuff.

I also don't need to worry about the water situation either. I have a Berkey that I love. I could always just dump river water into that and I'd still have clean and tasty water.

I'm glad I live in a rural area b/c if REAL panic ensues, at least I'll have a bit of an advantage. Apparently now gun stores and sporting good stores are having a big run on guns and ammo. What's happening now is not full out panic, so I hope it doesn't come to that.

I think the next place panic will arrive is at gas stations as folks stock up on fuel, and banks as people try to get their cash. I'm set on cash, but I did fill our fuel containers this past weekend while the fuel station was empty of customers.

I'm not one bit afraid of this virus, but the chaos/hysteria that could spiral out of control is a concern, especially now that things are starting to tighten up as far as "crowd control" and lack of supplies. Americans are not used to "officials" telling them where they can and can't go. It could get scary and messy. I sure hope not.....but I wouldn't be surprised. I'll remain cautiously optimistic. I do think America will be a better place and more prepared for the future after all of this blows over.
Old 03-16-20, 10:17 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I "snuck" into work yesterday to do the payroll. They gave us a couple days on the house but now we have to use up our sick and vacation time, which means the new guy will not get paid. Anyway, I raided my desk in the hope of finding hand sanitizer swag from conventions a co-worker always goes to. I found a little "pen" with sanitizer and two minis from my company's annual health fair. It felt like hitting a lode of gold!

I'm out again this week and have a roster of decluttering and organizing to accomplish. Not to mention working out which I haven't done in over a week.

On stockpiling - now I understand why lately when I grocery shop, my gluten free muffins and bread are gone. I was thinking "how many people went gluten free lately?" Now I know someone has been hoarding all the preferred and lower cost GF items.

On a positive note, our local seafood markets have plenty of fresh seafood because the restaurants aren't ordering. Big benefit for us.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-20, 11:04 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Damn boomers!

https://www.businessinsider.com/mill...autions-2020-3

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, introverts, price gouging, social distancing